JJFP reunite for 50 years of Hip Hop December 10 ×
Jazzy Jeff & Fresh Prince Forum

What's the difference betwen hh & rap?

Damian

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

they r different Genres because you put JJFP into Hip-Hop but then you would put Lost and Found into Rap because they sound different you get at i am goin

that's totally off man. Lost & Found is hip-hop at its best. i think ur saying that all stuff thats is ol skool is hip-hop and all new stuff is rap. i would have to disagree. there are still artists that make hip-hop today.

now as far as what Damian said, technically hip-hop is a culture, a way of life. and rapping/emceeing is 1/4th of the hip hop culture. but today, alot of people call old skool and clean rap "hip-hop" and newer stuff "rap". but the real meaning behind the words hip-hop and rap was already stated. hip-hop = culture, rap=a way to rhyme words over a beat

There is no official or correct line between rap and hiphop. The "Hip Hop is a way of living" is pretty much bull****. I mean, okey, but what way of living? What does it mean really? The things KRS said about it is just bull**** since its totally impossible to follow to a 100%.. he himself doesnt live Hip Hop the way he say he does...

In my way of seeing it, rap is mumbling people with ugly teeth and hiphop is talksinging people with... hmm.. all kinds of teeths.

Yes, in one way Hip Hop aint realy a way of life. Thats why it`s a sub-cullture

It has 4 elements: Rap(MCing), DJing, Breakdance and Graffiti.

In one way you can do all of them without beeing part of Hip Hop, but that doesnt take away that what you do is kinda related to the other things in Hip Hop.

For Example: I saw an Interview with a big sprayer. He said "I`m not a Hip Hop Head, but I know what I do is a part of Hip Hop".

Another Example: Pimp C. said "**** Hip Hop, we do Country Rap". That might be true, that doesnt take away thar Rap is a part of Hip Hop. The rhyming-vocal part.

Edited by Turntable

Hip-hop consists of many things like rapping/mc'ing which is a part of hip-hop, but there's also break dancing, DJ'ing, graffti art, hip-hop journalism. or even just being a spectator you're hip-hop, while rap music is basically just somebody doing lyrics when they're signed to a record label, the way I look at it hip-hop's defination is endless while rap is limited to having a contract to release a rap album, for example I'd say Shaq is an example of rap while JJFP are an example of hip-hop....

Edited by bigted

Hip-hop consists of many things like rapping/mc'ing which is a part of hip-hop, but there's also break dancing, DJ'ing, graffti art, hip-hop journalism. or even just being a spectator you're hip-hop, while rap music is basically just somebody doing lyrics when they're signed to a record label, the way I look at it hip-hop's defination is endless while rap is limited to having a contract to release a rap album, for example I'd say Shaq is an example of rap while JJFP are an example of hip-hop....

I'd agree with Ted's synopsis of the two.

Getting even deeper into it, I think hip hop should be held to a higher standard than rap. A lot of things are called rap but aren't really hip hop. 50, Mike Jones and others rap... but they aren't hip hop. Hip hop is a purer form of the art; it's about the expression, not the money; it's about the message being conveyed, not the rims and the ice of the messenger. I don't want to go too far with this, but it's almost as if Lost is rap and Found is hip hop. I try to be really careful about what I refer to as hip hop.

It's hard to explain, but if you want a definition of hip hop, rent Brown Sugar.

I didn't read what everyone has posted so far...but here's my take on things.

Hip-Hop is a culture. It's a way of life...it's what effects the way u live, the way u think, and the way u are. Hip-Hop music is music that is product of Hip-Hop culture. Hip-Hop dosen't actually have 2 have rap in it. Mary J. Blige is a Hip-Hop artists even tho' u can call her an R-N-B singer as well. Hip-Hop music is the ONLY music that has no rules or boundries. U can mix it with any style of music, u can create a new beat or jack someone elses, u can sing off key, u don't have 2 have verse 1, chorus, verse 2, chorus, etc. Hip-Hop didn't come from one music style...it came from all music styles. Since DJing pretty much started the music, they were borrowing from ALL music styles 2 create a totally new sound. A true Hip-Hop artists puts their thought out there...no holds barred. Hip-Hop is about being u and putting your life in the music. It's about being 100 percent real.

Example, DJ Jazzy Jeff + Fresh Prince, LL Cool J, Eric B. + Rakim, Heavy D + The Boyz, Public Enemy, MC Lyte, Salt-N-Pepa, De La Soul, A Tribe Called Quest, Queen Latifah, EPMD. U can also put artists like Mary J. Blige, TLC, Lauryn Hill (her R-N-B stuff) in that category.

Rap is simply someone rapping. Rap music is music with someone rapping on it. Is most of Hip-Hop music also rap...Yes. Is Rap music always Hip-Hop...HECK NO. Rap music has evolved to the crap that it is 2day (on the radio 4 the most part). Nelly, 50 Cent, Paul Wall, J-Kwon, Young Jeezy, G-Unit, Ja-Rule, etc. Those guys are rappers. They aren't being themselves, they are cookie cutter idiots pretending 2 be something they are not. They either never do or rarely put themselves in their music. It's the marketable watered down, fake version of Hip-Hop i guess.

Ok, thanks for the answering. I think now I'm know what's the difference betwen hh & rap.

But what about that?

And if you ask me, Hip Hop as a music style, came outta Funk & Soul..

now we have jazz, reggea, funk & soul?

I didn't read what everyone has posted so far...but here's my take on things.

You should becouse some of ppl won't agree with you I think.

So rap doesn't mean RhytmAndPoetry?

Rap is simply someone rapping. Rap music is music with someone rapping on it. Is most of Hip-Hop music also rap...Yes. Is Rap music always Hip-Hop...HECK NO. Rap music has evolved to the crap that it is 2day (on the radio 4 the most part). Nelly, 50 Cent, Paul Wall, J-Kwon, Young Jeezy, G-Unit, Ja-Rule, etc. Those guys are rappers. They aren't being themselves, they are cookie cutter idiots pretending 2 be something they are not. They either never do or rarely put themselves in their music. It's the marketable watered down, fake version of Hip-Hop i guess.

I agree with you, except about parts of this part. Beside the fact that we dont know that they are fake, there is somthing diffrent. I agree that rap doesnt have to be Hip Hop. Rap is just rhyming on beats. But some Mc`s dont even say that they make Hip Hop. For exampley Pimp C. says "**** Hip Hop, we do Country Rap". Rap aint the fake version of Hip Hop.. Its just music. LL and Will also do rap, just rap form the Hip Hop part..

Rap is the rhyming part of Hip hop. Not more, not less.

Edited by Turntable

Well I think JJFP are also rap too, not just hip-hop, 'cause some of their songs are fantasies that ain't actually a part of their everyday real life, basically nobody's albums are 100% reality for an artist, some of it is fantasy for the person saying it but it could be reality for somebody else just like cartoons and movies that have real life themes even though the characters ain't real you could say, lol, rap could be fiction or nonfiction, like some songs I write ain't necessarily a part of my life but they tell a story that might be part of somebody else's life so that part of me is a part of only rapping and when I write songs about what I personally experience that makes it a hip-hop song I'm rapping, and another thing just 'cause you don't like a certain artist doesn't mean they're not hip-hop, those who hate Black Eyed Peas and MC Hammer might point out and say they ain't hip-hop just like when you hate on Nelly and 50 Cent and say they ain't hip-hop, well I think they're all hip-hop 'cause they express themselves in different ways whether you like them or not, hip-hop is their life, they were doing it/fans of it before they had record deals and they'll still have love for it even when they don't have a record deal, now somebody who just does a rap album when in reality their heart's into another entertainment field or profession and they got not passion for the history of hip-hop, they're just doing rap, that's the way I look at it...

Like I said before these hip-hop artists today ain't the 1st ones to floss with ice and money and rims, what about Slick Rick's jewlery? What about LL's album cover for "Walking With A Panther" or Eric B. and Rakim's cover to "Paid In Full"? A lot of them paved the way for what a lot do now.... Nelly made that point on "Beef II" when he was battling with KRS that KRS held a gun on the cover on one of his albums and did a song on there called "Super Hoe" but then calls Nelly a negative influence but wasn't some things that KRS did were considered offensive? He said something about how KRS called him not being hip-hop for doing that but KRS says everything he does is? I mean how many people has KRS shot if having guns is a reality for him? lol, of course that part is fiction which makes some things he does rap, they ain't his reality but it exists though.... That's like what Lerkot said how KRS could be bulls***n' sometimes too much about what is or what isn't hip-hop like his s*** don't stink sometimes, he's one of the greatest artists in hip-hop history but sometimes he's doing rap too, not everything he does is just hip-hop, but sometimes he makes it seems like he's only hip-hop but he's rap too, hip-hop and rap go hand and hand most of the time, except if you ain't really that much into being a part of the hip-hop culture and you just do rap songs once in a while... If LL came out and dissed Nelly and said that he was a negative influence for rapping about sex so much then he'd look like a hyprocrite too, I mean am I really to believe that all they do is have sex with girls all day? That's the part that's fantasy which makes them rap but they also make songs on their albums that apply to their real life too so they're also hip-hop artists, of course LL does it way better but Nelly expresses himself too, being a hip-hop artist is about expressing all sides to an artist when you put the time into making albums, now if somebody just limits themselves to one thing they're rap Some hip-hop artists are better than others but it's like not everybody in hip-hop is the most skilled, it's just the NBA, some score 20 points, some score 5 points but they're a part of the NBA, and it's that way with artists like Nelly and 50 Cent, they might not be legends but they're still a part of hip-hop and they worked hard to get a record deal, hate 'em or love 'em.... The thing is though some rappers might rap about the hustling and the gang banging 'cause that's what they've experienced so that's doing hip-hop but if a white kid in the suburbs does songs about hustling and gangbanging then they're doing rap and they'll only be rap if that's all they talk about if that ain't something they personally know, that's the difference, it's fantasy for the kids but for the hardcore rapper it's reality... I personally am a hip-hop fan/hip-hop artist but until I get signed to a record deal you can't call me a rap artist 'cause rap artists have to be on record labels....

Edited by bigted

Damian, why should i have read what everyone else wrote...and why should i care if they agree with me. A few people like Tim, Vipa, Bigted could have opinions that aren't right alongside mine, but i respect what they say. Then, there is a handful of others that i wouldn't even care what they say simply becuz they don't have the history or education of Hip-Hop.

And elaborating one what Big Ted said...i wouldn't catagorize Hip-Hop and Rap as 2 different things. I think most Hip-Hop acts go in the Rap category as well, but not many of todays Rap acts could ever be considered Hip-Hop.

Well some rap artists could just be fans of hip-hop so in that sense you could call them hip-hop, now as far as their music being true I'm not quite sure about that either, lots of imitation going on these days in my opinion, you can't believe that every rapper grew up hustling but I'm sure some of them did, I think the problem of the rap game is that only pimp rappers get heard, it's like anybody who express how they didn't grow up in that life can't get a chance to get played, it ain't the rappers' fault....