JJFP reunite for 50 years of Hip Hop December 10 ×
Jazzy Jeff & Fresh Prince Forum

What's the difference betwen hh & rap?

Damian

Somethimes I see on polish forums this:"What's the difference betwen hh & rap?".

Can someone answer me at this question. I need full & truly answer!

& with this I'm a little bit confused. Somethimes I read that jazz, somethimes that reaggea was a father of hh. What is really true about that.

I know that at this forum are ppl with huge knowledge. Please answer.

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

well according to encarta hip hop is:

popular music, art, and dance: a form of popular culture that started in African American inner-city areas, characterized by rap music, graffiti art, and breakdancing

and rap is:

popular music with spoken rhythmic vocals: a vocal style in which performers use rhythm and rhyme to speak in verse over music with a strong beat, usually hip hop. Rap developed from African American hip hop music and culture in the 1970s.

I personally say that "hip-hop" is what they called it after "rap" sold out. but that's just me.

It started in the ghettos, at first there were block parties wit Dj's who played the instrumentals..but there was no MC, so it was kinda borin wit the time, then the MC's came n added rhymes to the intrumentals...of course Jazz is the influence of Hip-Hop but not necessarily came from it..i think it took pieces of various genres n started its own style

Edited by Luigie

Hip Hop is a culture, a way of life. Rap is the vocal-music way of it (ofcourse with the writing n stuff).

But allot of people (including me ) say a Hip Hop Song, not just a Rap Song..

So u agree wit me :stickpoke:

I gotta disagree man..wat Tiffy n I said is the correct thing Hip-hop is the culture, rap is the rhymin...cause u say u're rappin...u dont say also u're Hip-Hoppin...same thing: Hip-Hop = Movement, Rap = the rhymin :1-cool: