JJFP reunite for 50 years of Hip Hop December 10 ×
Jazzy Jeff & Fresh Prince Forum

2005 Most sold hiphop albums

Frenetic

Well I think "Lost and Found" could still go platinum

wake up and get your head out of your butt, the album isn't going platinum

Well when "Tell Me Why" blows up you'll see, well even it don't come out, it still has a better chance at going platinum in my lifetime than "Code Red" does, lol.... Nas' "Street's Disciple" recently got certified platinum after a year of release, LL's "The Definition" is probably around like 800,000 by now too, it'll probably be certified platinum once his next album comes out, I could say maybe by the summer of 2006 "Lost and Found" could be certified platinum even if nothing comes out, word of mouth sells....

btw, Turntable I found on the okayplayer board out how much Beastie Boys sold so far for their greatest hits, I didn't see Ja Rule's in the top 200 though:

157 BEASTIE BOYS SOLID GOLD HITS 22,788 62 14,061 112,902

So Frenetic you got any idea how much Rev. Run and Public Enemy sold so far? I hope they did at least 50,000, "Lost and Found" sales are like "Thriller" sales compared to them :paperbag:

Edited by bigted

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Well I think "Lost and Found" could still go platinum

wake up and get your head out of your butt, the album isn't going platinum

Well when "Tell Me Why" blows up you'll see, well even it don't come out, it still has a better chance at going platinum in my lifetime than "Code Red" does, lol.... Nas' "Street's Disciple" recently got certified platinum after a year of release, LL's "The Definition" is probably around like 800,000 by now too, it'll probably be certified platinum once his next album comes out, I could say maybe by the summer of 2006 "Lost and Found" could be certified platinum even if nothing comes out, word of mouth sells....

btw, Turntable I found on the okayplayer board out how much Beastie Boys sold so far for their greatest hits, I didn't see Ja Rule's in the top 200 though:

157 BEASTIE BOYS SOLID GOLD HITS 22,788 62 14,061 112,902

So Frenetic you got any idea how much Rev. Run and Public Enemy sold so far? I hope they did at least 50,000, "Lost and Found" sales are like "Thriller" sales compared to them :paperbag:

:word: If it does go platnuim...I'll probably buy it agian,just for sales. :rofl: :lolsign:

Yeah the album could easily sell 300,000 in a few months if "Tell Me Why" blows up, there's still work to be done, Will got 6 months off from filming to make it happen!

I heard Public enemys album did like 20k the first week and then dropped out of the top 200. the same with rev run. but i think he sold a bit more.

it's too late for Tell Me Why to be a hit. Will has already moved on like Tim said. why would interscope promote Tell me Why and L&F when they haven't done so for the last 9 months? if Tell Me Why becomes a hit it could go platinum in like 6 months time but i don't see that happening. sales have pretty much stopped now.

Well I guess Will doesn't want the world to hear "Tell Me Why" then, maybe he don't care if they think he's just a club rapper, it's nice that he's doing something with Kel Spencer but it'd be dissapointing if he didn't shoot a video for this deep song... :thumbdown:

Edited by bigted

The reason that "Lost and Found" is doing much better than "Born To Reign" is 'cause people actually like this album, both basically had the same poor promotion, the people who bought "Born To Reign" won't play it anywhere or tell anyone that they like the album 'cause it was weak, that's something only a few of the loyal Will Smith fans'll buy just to have it in their collection but even a lot of us don't like it so we won't play it out or tell anyone about it, lol, but the people who bought "Lost and Found" are spreading the word to each other and playing it so word of mouth helps when you put out a quality product, that's why I say it'll go platinum eventually, this is a product that hip-hop heads respect, but the sad thing is though that the majority of the public wasn't even aware of the meaning of the album, they only felt the cold water like Will phrased they'd feel from "Switch", he said he wanted to show people a different side of him, the majority of the public still thinks every song is a club track like "Switch" since that's all he performed at most of his shows, even if he just performs "Tell Me Why" at some shows people'd be aware....

That's why I feel "Tell Me Why" comes out, that way a lot ot those people who go to his movies and're unaware of him as an mc'll check out "Lost and Found" after they see that his music is just as powerful and inspiring as his movies are...

Now considering all the hype and controversey 50 Cent has had, basically the same amount if not more than his 1st album "Get Rich Or Die Tryin'", 50 Cent's career's on a downfall, 'cause his 1st album sold 10 million, it actually had some good songs on it that were listenable as Frenetic pointed out, people actually liked it, but this album he dropped is basically a garbage pop rap album that's gonna sell 5 million instead of 10 million with a lot of those not liking it either, it's just the radio that plays him, if 50 doesn't put out good music soon, no matter how controversial he is, gradually he won't last in the music industry, 5 million for Eminem is also a flop for him 'cause he's used to selling 8-10 million everytime he drops basically had the same amount of hype but people just ain't feeling his album that much for them they don't have problem with promotion unlike Will, "Willenium" and "Lost and Found" could've sold 10 million if they were promoted right, if these wack rappers don't focus on making good music on their next albums, nobody'll buy them gradually, like Will said, "you're platinum now but next year I'm gonna miss you"

Edited by bigted

:word: Is there a way we could email Interscope and Overbrook and tell them we want "Tell Me Why"? :pony: