JJFP reunite for 50 years of Hip Hop December 10 ×
Jazzy Jeff & Fresh Prince Forum

will and tom cruise hangin out

Hero1

• Admin
'I, Robot' has superstar input
By William Keck, USA TODAY
LOS ANGELES — On screen, he has battled evil drug lords, absurd Old West killing machines, boxing great Joe Frazier, lots and lots of aliens and, in his latest film, an army of robots gone awry in the year 2035.

Anatomically correct machines? "Nothing can compare to the real deal," says Jada Pinkett Smith, with her husband, Will Smith.
By Kevin Winter, Getty Images

But at Wednesday's premiere for I, Robot (it opens July 16), Will Smith faced his most formidable challenger to date when superstar Tom Cruise made a surprise solo appearance — virtually stealing Smith's spotlight.

But no blood was spilled on the futuristic blue carpet. Smith and Cruise, it turns out, have become as tight as Smith & Wesson ever since Smith's Mrs., Jada Pinkett Smith, began working with Cruise on their August release, Collateral.

"Tom's my long-lost white brother," said a Valentino-clad Pinkett Smith, while husband Will, decked out in a beige Dolce & Gabbana suit, explained: "Tom's my man. We've been spending a lot of time together. Not to sound arrogant, but there's not a lot of movie stars in the world. There's really only a handful of people who can relate to what we go through on a daily basis. I'm finding there's such comfort in talking to him."

The film's female lead, Bridget Moynahan, wearing a form-hugging, silver-studded Narciso Rodriguez gown, denied circulating rumors that she and her beau, Super Bowl golden boy Tom Brady, are engaged. Even so, when we asked Moynahan to envision her own life in 2035, Brady was indeed part of her picture: "I hope I'm on a beach relaxing and retired," she said. With Brady at her side? "I certainly hope so."

Her studly 6-foot-4 Patriot agreed: "In a perfect world, that would be great. I like hanging out with her a lot."

Shia LaBeouf has a small role in the film as a renegade street kid, but spent the earlier part of his day discussing what could prove to be a much grander role — playing shutterbug Jimmy Olsen in the new Superman movie, set to begin filming in November.

"I met with McG (the director) today and talked about Jimmy Olsen and who's going to be playing who," said LaBeouf, 18. "The production's so locked down they said I can't even take the script home. I have to go to Warner Bros. (studio) to read it and then leave it there."

LaBeouf may not have left with a script, but he did leave with some intriguing casting info. Mainly, Jake Gyllenhaal is apparently no longer in the running for Superman.

"They're going to go with an unknown," said LaBeouf, adding that McG is trying to lure Scarlett Johansson for Lois Lane and Johnny Depp for Lex Luthor.

After the screening, guests Angela Bassett, Jamie Foxx and Quincy Jones partied at the nearby Armand Hammer museum, where we asked Lara Flynn Boyle to name her favorite at-home robotlike gadget. "My Shark," she answered. "It's like a Dust Buster, and I'm obsessed with it."

But Smith dreams of playing with only one gadget in 2035, when he'll have reached the ripe old age of 66.

"I hope there will be robots at that time," he said, "and hopefully they'll all be anatomically correct."

But would Jada give Will permission to play?

"Sure, if that's what he wants," she said. "Robots don't count. Nothing can compare to the real deal."