JJFP reunite for 50 years of Hip Hop December 10 ×
Jazzy Jeff & Fresh Prince Forum

rap pet peeves

what are yours????

mine are:
every other word is nigga(literally)

when a rapper thinks that using the same word twice rhymes

a rapper that dosen't practice what he preaches(example: if you say you have been in jail and you are just talking that's wack!!)

rappers who are talk and no walk!!

AJ's PET PEEVES IN RAP/HIP-HOP

When rappers talk about lifestyles they don't live (example, drugs, money, guns, girls, etc). If a rapper comes out on their 1st album saying they have all kinds of money, girls, and jewerly...they are lying, unless they won the lottery.

When rappers/emcees over use the n-word or cussing. Show me that u have respectable manners and can hold an intellegent conversation.

When rappers preach poison and make guns, violence, and drugs sound really cool. Also when the boast about lots of sex. Get some self-respect and learn how 2 live life. Lil' kids don't need 2 hear trash about that stuff unless the rapper is offering a positive solution 2 the situation.

When rappers exploit women in their videos and have low standards 4 the ho's they put their videos. Something like Wreckx-N-Effect's "Rump Shakers" features beatiful ladies in bathing suits dancing. Considering the song's subject matter and the fact that they are on the beach and on boats, it makes sense (whether u like it or not). The video also features girls who take care of themselves...sexy as they wanna be. What i don't like is when they have girls nearly naked 4 no reason in a video just sluttin' it up 4 the camera. Also, if u check some Nelly and Ludacris videos, they got some nasty ho's with cellulite and stuff...i dont' go 4 that. If u are gonna put girls in your video, it only works if their is a reason 4 it and if they are pretty girls. The same rules go 4 guys but female rappers aren't stupid like 2days new skool rappers. No ladies wanna see some huge, over-weight, harry guy shakin' it buttnaked in a video.

When rappers wear 2 much jewelry. It's just phoney after your 3rd peice of bling bling. A necklace, a ring, maybe a watch...after that, just stop. They just look stupid when they over do it.

When rappers put out albums that are just a bunch of songs put 2gether. The beauty of an album should offer different subject matter, different sounds, and a vibe that is complete when u listen 2 it the whole way thru.' Most of these mainstream commerial guys just record a bunch of songs and put them on a CD...there's no continuity.

When rappers do 2 many interludes on their album. They are interesting the 1st few times, then they just interupt the flow and get annyoing. On top of that, if the interlude is just stupid, then it's really bad. The worse kind is where somebody's getting some on those interludes....just picuturing them standing in front of a microphone in a studio recording it is just stupid 2 me.

Guest lambertj3
no offense aj but from your posts just a suggestion as a rapperonce said if your scared or dont like what u see go to church and listen to gpspel music or r and b. now don't take this offensivley you are probably a cool cat and i have nothing against you or your opinions you just seem so angry all the time. do you need to talk about it? if not god bless.

I'm not the only one who is discusted with the current state of Hip-Hop. U obviously are pretty young. U seem 2 have no knowledge of old skool Hip-Hop and the roots of the music. If u did, u would have higher standards 4 what u think is good. These new guys suck...period. New fans don't know what they are missin'...u need 2 check the underground and what's NOT on the charts 2 find good music. I am angry cuz Hip-Hop is my first love...but it's got me checkin' in 2 chicks on the side when it comes 2 music. Current rap dosen't do anything 4 me. I only get a Hip-Hop every few months cuz nothing good is coming out.

There's nothing 2 be scared about in music...what are u talking. I'm just saying that there isn't anything good coming out (on a mainstream level). Don't twist it and make it sound like i'm scared of Hip-Hop that's based off gritty reality....cuz i'm not and i've gone thru' things myself. But when 50 Cent and Jay-Z try 2 say what's real...it's just not. They ain't Hip-Hop...they're Rap. Bottom line, u can't fight me on that one...they are RAP. I do go 2 church...but that has nothing 2 do with my taste in music...what in the world are u talking about with that comment?!?

Guest lambertj3
nothing personal aj but i am older than you and been listening to hip hop a lot longer. just because i disagree with what you say dosen't mean i am young and no nothing about rap you are only stating YOUR opinion ask any adult on the street and they cooulf tell you that.and my standards are just fine i like who i like and you like who you like. by the way i do listen to the underground thank you very much.and it all depends on who you consider under ground its like the da brakes said its your opinion not reality 50 and jay-z are hip hop sorry to dissapoint you. p.s. dont take this personal we are both stating our opinions and neither you or i are a hip hop god to say this is hip hop and this is not.

ANSWER THESE ?UESTIONS 4 ME...

How old are u?

Where do u come from?

And How long have u been deep in2 Hip-Hop?

I can't take my mind 2 a place where i can believe that u have been deep in2 the music and exposed 2 all sides of it for years. I don't think anybody who has been in2 real Hip-Hop music for the past 10 years could ever say Jay-Z and 50 Cent are amoungst the best. Everyone it entitled 2 their own opinion...but even their own biggest fans can't say they can hold a mic to the likes of Rakim, LL Cool J, KRS-One, and so on. They are new jack clowns making light weight music that sells records, but dosen't do anything but set rap music years behind.

Can i get a witness?!

Life's too short for that so here I go:

*When rappers put out a video for a single and there's so much bleeped out. It's bad enough that they couldn't think of any better worse than cursing or ni**a. But do they even think when they're making these videos "Hmm guys, maybe people can't sing along to this if they don't know what were saying."?

*How "money-themed" rap has become. What do they think people want to here? I don't care how much money you have, what your car is sitting on, or how many different ways you can describe your ice.

*The producers who made rap a whore. These are the people who make me wish rap didn't become as big as it is today. These are the people who saw the future and made the rappers today. They produce rappers constantly. They do this so much that I will now call their "products" McDonald's Rappers because they are so abundant and so abysmal.

*The stupid people. The mainstream. The people who rely on MTV and BET to tell them what's hot and what's not. These are the people who buy the crap, which is why crap continues to be put out so often. If it wasn't for these people, the whoring producers wouldn't have a job.

*The conformity that rap now is. When I hear people say they hate rap, they tell me because "It's all about guns, sex, and drugs." I used to say "You just don't know. You need to listen to the underground stuff." But I won't say that now. They aren't going to go out of their way just to accept a genre of music. Point is, I know agree with them. For the most part, I hate rap. Yet, Hip Hop is my favorite music.

*When songs are only good for their beats. This ties in with the producers and the stupid people. This is how horrible songs are made hits. If it wasn't for some computer DJ's out there, a lot of songs would be flops. Without these beats people might actually hear the words the rappers are saying. They then might realize they have no talent.

*The reliance on "hooks". The hooks and the beats always tie in now. Nobody know the words to the songs they "love" or they say "this is my jam." They just know the hook (or part of it).

*When music videos change from being about something to 30 seconds of "Chingy, why yo' ass so chinky?" They interrupt the "flow" (and I use that term lightly) of the song and they just aren't good.

That's what I can think of for now.

God Blessa! Edited by djsilvertiger

WEll, just don't watch BET/MTV, and promote or talk about other artists. But Music in general has fell. When I see those videos, I don't even watch it anymore, cuz I kno what shows up. the last video I saw was Nas "Thief's Theme". Which was actually good. Becuz of Nas's age and knowledge, that video is acceptable 2 me. I'm lookin foward 2 his album. I have all of em. Jadakiss's "Why" seems fake 2 me.

Sometimes I wonder, if BIG and PAc were still here, could they have took it here. Even when PAc was @ Deathrow, U could see him outside the $. BIG, u couldn't. I think they take it too far now. Women can get a**-cash like it'z their only way. Rich music is like a rare mineral. Now it'z music that makes u rich.

My dad always said this rap is not gonna last. Now it looks like people wish it didn't. There R poeple in the world that loves hip hop's "success", it'z growth; there R poeple who don't like it, but buy into it anyway; people who leave it be. We can't all be the same, but at least respectful of one another in a certain aspect. "Our greatest similarity is our difference" - me

It does get annoying debating over this hip hop. That's why I'm just gonna work on my music and those around me that R gracious enuff 2 allow me as help.

• Admin
silvertiger i agree with a lot of what u said.. i aint mad at 50 cent or g-unit etc selling a lot of records..what disappoints me is really talented cats arent having any commercial success.. back in the day there used to be all kinds of artists co-existing together and doing really well..from political rap - public enemy , gangsta rap - nwa - fun rap - jazzy jeff and fresh prince etc etc... now u take one look at the charts and a lot of it is the same ..rubbish... :bang:

[quote=mfuqua23,Jul 11 2004, 12:11 AM]the last video I saw was Nas "Thief's Theme". Which was actually good. Becuz of Nas's age and knowledge, that video is acceptable 2 me. I'm lookin foward 2 his album. I have all of em. Jadakiss's "Why" seems fake 2 me.[/quote]
No matter what Nas does he always seems to be miles ahead of the average M.C., I enjoy "Thief's Theme" as well. I get the feeling that Jadakiss did that video "Why" 4 popularity 'cause never before was he ever a conscious m.c., his album went #1 on the Billboard charts last week, but I bet none of the other tracks on the album have anything to do with "Why"'s theme, I don't know 'cause I haven't jumpeed on the Jadakiss bandwagon, but I hear some of his tracks on mixtapes that I occassionally buy(I don't even buy 'em that much anymore 'cause a lot of songs are mixtapes these days are garbage) and he always talks about shooting somebody and smokin' a dutch, never anything relevant! :nhawong: He got a lot of skills but like other m.c.'s like Eminem and Jay-Z he uses his talent the wrong way!

I think my biggest pet peeve is the mass commercialization of hip-hop. I will stand behind my statement that hip-hop died when Dr. Dre's Chronic album came out. Dre didn't kill it but rather the industry did. The industry saw what Dre did and all of a sudden you had a bunch of copycat rappers. Whatever is hot then everybody will copy it.

Other pet peeves:

* Cursing. You can gritty lyrics without all the profanity. It annoys me when you're listening to a song on the radio and over half the song's been edited.

* Lack of responsibility. Rappers have got to understand that they are role models and they shouldn't be pushing all of this trash into the minds of young kids(and they're the majority of listeners). Redman admitted that there was a lot of trash in music but rappers do it because it sells. I don't buy that.

* Abuse of women. All of these "booty" videos and songs are just ridiculous. And the women who rap about that stuff are no better than the guys. Have respect for our women!!

* Materialism. The bling, bling this and car that is just wack to me. Put out lyrics that make a person think and dream. How many different ways can you rap about how much money, guns, girls and weed you have?

* The industry itself is spewing out posion and making stars of people who really aren't talented. I'm sorry lambertj3, 50 Cent is not talented. Neither is Ja Rule, Nelly, Ludacris and about 95% of all rappers out there now.

Give me real hip-hop and not this cookie-cutter version of it. Give me real lyrics about life. Stop working with the same producers. Try exploring the horizons of music instead of settling for the lowest common denominator. Bottom line, rap music, and music in general, is on life-support.

I think alot of people stressed some good ponts here. I loved yours TopDawg...some of it looks like u cut and pasted some things i've said. Lately i've been listening 2 alot of Hip-Hop from 1993ish - 1996ish...it has me in tears about how good Hip-Hop used 2 be. I can't believe what it's come 2 now. I also agree that Dr. Dre's "The Chonic" album (being a dope album) did lead 2 the industry ruining commerical Hip-Hop as we know it.

Guest lambertj3
in reply to what u said aj i hate to bust your bubble no offense but i have been into hip hop since 82 and i am 28 thank u , and hail from sacramento your turn. how old are u? and where are you from? hmmm? how long have you been into hip hop ? evreyone has his/her own opinion that dosen't make either of them right . no offense you are probably a great person but a bit delusional. YOU DONT SPEAK FOR THE HIP HOP COMMUNITY SON NOBODY DOES!

:rosik:

I'm 24 years old and from Maryland. I've grown up on Hip-Hop since mid-80's. I spent alot of my time with my cousins who are older and got me deep in2 Hip-Hop by making me copies of their cassette tapes and radio mixtapes.

If u've been in2 Hip-Hop since the early/mid 80's...how can u think that 2days modern day rap music is anything comparable 2 old skool Hip-Hop of the 80's and the golden age Hip-Hop of the 90's. There is no comparing it...hands down. 90% of the stuff that is on any charts these days SUCKS.