JJFP reunite for 50 years of Hip Hop December 10 ×
Jazzy Jeff & Fresh Prince Forum

50cent mentions BigWill in song "What if"

Russell Simmons said in the VH1 hip-hop documentary that "Will Smith is a big rap star that has sold more records than 50 Cent", I think his opinion holds more weight than anybody else that doesn't recognise Will as a rapper. 50 Cent's actually right about Will being a silly rapper back in the day 'cause his early albums were very comedy oriented, he was like the Eddie Murphy of rap on the early JJFP albums, not every rapper has to be gangsta like a character from Scarface to be a great rapper. btw you're right Vipa, let's not make this a 50 Cent hater board either.

Edited by bigted

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I see he's biting The Game's style in referencing all those rappers, it actually looks like he disses a few in there but he gives Will props though. :sick:

50 is just 2 crazy 4 me... Or should I say 2 stupid 4 me??? That's just dumb and I don't even know word anymore 4 that, 4 all that stuff with 50 going on there... WILL IS DA GREATEST!!! :2thumbs:

You guys, 50 has never really said anything bad about Will has he? and I doubt he ever will... so lets just try to not act like their enemies. I mean even when the word was out that will dissed Eminem, 50 had something positive to say about it.

Oh and that Mos Def thing isnt a diss either... You should stop making 50 out to be an idiot... yes I think his raps suck too, but he does that on purpouse. The diffrence between him and mos for example is that he is here to do anything to try to sell records. And thats his good and well right, and if he succeeds in that objective why not give him credit for that and just not listen to his songs, if we dont like them?

You guys, 50 has never really said anything bad about Will has he? and I doubt he ever will... so lets just try to not act like their enemies. I mean even when the word was out that will dissed Eminem, 50 had something positive to say about it.

Oh and that Mos Def thing isnt a diss either... You should stop making 50 out to be an idiot... yes I think his raps suck too, but he does that on purpouse. The diffrence between him and mos for example is that he is here to do anything to try to sell records. And thats his good and well right, and if he succeeds in that objective why not give him credit for that and just not listen to his songs, if we dont like them?

Good Point.Can`t blame 50 for selling that much records.It`s a shame that so many People but it.But thats not his fault i think.

Even tho i still think he`s an idiot caus he show to much jalousy and disrespect.And i don`t mean this but i mean the stuff with Ja and Nas and them.And what going on with Dre now.

Oh and that Mos Def Thing isn`t a Diss.It`s the truth..

That's what's wrong with society they think it's sexy when people carry guns hanging on the streetcorner all day and you're wack if you got a backpack and go to the library or school to learn all day, intelligent people do respect Mos Def and not 50, 50 knows that too, knowledge is power that's why Mos Def'll outlast 50 in the game 'cause he's a smart brother, only school dropouts that're happy being on welfare all their life respect 50 'cause he's as ignorant as they are.

Edited by bigted

Why do you disagree with me? It's true though that the gangsta rappers rapping about how much guns they bust are outselling the conscious rappers that make thought provoking rhymes but gangsta rappers come and go with the fame while conscious rappers always have some audience there for them, anybody can be a gangsta if they want to since that's not hard to do but not everybody could be intelligent if they don't work torwards that. If music celebrating explicit sex, drug use, and gun violence that's unhealthy is so popular it's not rocket science to tell you that there's more idiotic people out there than intelligent people, that's why 50 Cent dumbs down so much and sells millions, if people were really smart they'd stop listening to the gimmick raps.

This goes back to what KRS said a few months ago in that speech on BBC.com, he talks about how easy it is to chill on the block all day being a drug addict and drunk but it takes heart to be a man and gain knowledge, that's the message that rappers like 50 Cent don't display, the way he acts it makes it look like you could only get to the top by disrespecting other people but that's not the only way! :

"I'm tellin' you the truth, I studied in the library, the public library system, I couldn't understand it man, some people say “I can't stand America, they're holding me back, America's racist!” when they're walking down the street they see a Mcdonald's, a hospital, a liquor store, and a public library, so I'm going to the library and you're going to the liquor store. How is America evil? Or in this case, how is England evil? If you have a choice I'm going to public school, “Wait I thought you said you don't go to school?” well my public school is the public library by picking up the books I wanna read and studying what I wanna know when I wanna know it. Doors are opened all day, 8 hours a day, free books to take with you, these cats, I mean I'm in the same hood as everybody else! Somehow I'm walking to the library, others are walking to the liquor store, now I like to drink too, I ain't gonna front but what's more important my drink or my purpose? That's what you gotta asking yourself. “well kids stay off drugs” now BBC is broadcasting “well krs-one told kids to stay off drugs”, ha ha ha, well seriously that's the truth, what's more important getting high or your purpose? The choice is yours you could go either way with no judgement. Don't be mad though if you turn 40 and you don't know who you are but you're high as a motherf----r, ha ha ha, don't get mad man"

Edited by bigted

I disagree with someone thinkin guns is sexy. That is like freaky foreplay stuff maybe. :lolsign: But when I see a gun, I always fear it going off the wrong time and towards the wrong direction, even if it's in the right hands. I understand what KRS One was saying in his BBC interview and everything, but that is just to literal. He Just said all that to make you understand his point. To say that people who listen to 50 Cent aren't intelligent is very wrong. Mos Def's lasting and 50 Cent's lasting are two different things. 50 is going at it everyday becuz he looks at success as being in the spot he is in now. Mos Def, however is successful in a whole nother way. He's not on charts or anything. He may not even be a critically acclaimed artist in the general Hip Hop public's eyes.

I seriously doubt anybody is happy on welfare. Some people are on welfare becuz they just can't manage. I figured you of all people would know better than that man. It doesnt make sense to me that people that give up or cant finish school look up to 50, becuz according to his story he tells all the time, he didnt give up. Watch what you generalize.

Well maybe a lot of people're left bored from music with a message to it and wanna hear songs about sex, drugs, and violence since they find those songs sexy/appealing. People buy into the rap beefs that he starts and that's why he does it I guess. I wasn't literally talkin' about how people think that guns are sexy I was just making an anology, maybe if Mos Def made more songs about sex, drugs, and violence more often he'd sell millions just like 50 Cent but he doesn't so he only has a handful of people that wanna hear food for thought, 50's not sellin' 'cause he's a great lyricist or 'cause he's doing something creative, he's selling 'cause he dumbs down the most but one day he'll lose that audience when somebody new comes along that immitates that formula the way that he took some of Nelly's fanbase who was selling 10 million 5 years ago and his last album only sold 2 million and "The Longest Yard" soundtrack failed to go gold, his music is disposable pop rap just like Nelly so in a few more years he'll be done, I think Mos Def has a better chance to have a long career like KRS-ONE than 50 does. I don't want to diss 50 Cent but the way that he's polluting the rap game is wack: "gangsta hardcore's a menace to society/flows are all the same my pen spits variety" like Will said before, he's not making a good example to future rappers when he's showing that "you gotta do some sellin' out to get your record out" like Pac once said, the hip-hop scene will continue to be the way it is if 50 Cent and all the sellouts stay on top and creative mcs get slept on. I don't think people lookin' for food for thought would buy a 50 Cent CD 'cause he got nothin' to offer in that department but more people want controversey than that anyway so that doesn't seem to worry him too much, it's a shame though that all he cares about is sellin' records instead of exanding the topics as an artist, that's why he seems to be a lost rapper: "lost is when you're a slave to the biz/with no care to what you're sayin' to kids"!

Edited by bigted

The thing is, Mos Def and 50 arnt competing... they are trying to do two totally diffrent things.

And yes.. some (not me) people do think guns are sexy.... but they dont think that because 50cent tells them they are, they think guns are sexy, so 50cent tries to be succesfukll of a that fact. And Mos Def makes good music with inteligent content. But éventhough I think Mosdef is a much better artist and Black on both sides is one of my favourite albums, and im not a fan of 50's, sometimes I just want to listen to some music that isnt about the surpression of black people or something like that, but that transfers a diffrent emotion... and then I preffer a 50cent track.

Yes... and alot of people ONLY like those type of tracks... well alot of people are stupid, I think thats rather obvious, or theyll just read a book if they want to hear about stuff like that. I think the power is witht he listeners, not with the musicians, its not 50s fault people like his style better then mos def's, if he wasnt this big, some other rappers with a stile that is like his would be.

It's funny you should mention Pac. I was reading in Dec. '05 of Vibe about Henchman (who has been around Pac/Biggie and 50/Game). He perceived that what Pac did with the whole Biggie/Bad Boy, is the same thing 50 Cent is doing.

Looking at music as something stupid or intelligent seems like a bad way. To be quite honest, 50 labels his stuff as Gangsta Rap, but I just can't see him like that, even by way of his image. Seems more like Hustla Rap to me. And here you are saying 50 is dumbing down his stuff. A lot of us have. But it's like your insulting someone who only got to Algebra, while you got to Calculus. Or they got their High School Diploma, while you got your Master's Degree. I'm sure if you were to talk to 50, he'd ask at least what two of the words you used meant. (I mean if some non-everyday word is actively used in your vocab) I hear Mos Def, and understand nearly everything he speaks in his lyrics. Of course, I didn't always. When I listened to Pac, I didn't know what say, irraticate meant. I can only wonder how the "music business" seems to go. You can never be too sure of anything.