JJFP reunite for 50 years of Hip Hop December 10 ×
Jazzy Jeff & Fresh Prince Forum

Born to Reign singles

Guest Prince

Guest Prince
So we're always on about how Columbia made bad decisions in choosing singles to release from Born to Reign, but which would you have released and why?

First off, I wouldn't have chosen "1,000 kisses"....ill tell ya that

The first REAL single should've been "How Da Beat Goes". - Plain and simple this song is a hit. Just by the beat and the whole song is just one of them party songs that is all over mainstream and stuff.

Second Single should've been "Give Me Tonite" - Really reminds me of a Kanye West song and the lyrics are just great and every guy can relate too. Also has a party feel to it as well.

Third Single - Tie between "Act Like You Know" and "Block Party". Block Party has a real summertime vibe to it and Act Like You Know is like a pre-Give Me Tonite. somewhat. lol.

Those songs should've been singles. Will shoulda performed them live like at the MTV and NYC shows in 2002. I know he did "Act like you know" but he shouldn't have done "I Can't Stop".

Born To Reign waz ruined from the start when it came 2 promotion. They used "Black Suits Comin'" as the leading single. With the past 2 albums, the soundtrack songs were on the album, ruining the flow, but they released the album and the soundtrack with a gap putting that soundtrack song with the soundtrack, and a real song as the 1st single 4 the album. With Born To Reign, they dropped the soundtrack (which sucked) and Will's album 2gether. MONTHS later they dropped "1,000 Kisses" (good single...very very bad timing).

Here's my line-up for Born To Reign...

June/July - "HOW DA BEAT GOES" - Great production, fun lyrics...this is exactly what u'd expect from Will Smith on Columbia. Fun party joint, but not made radio friendly like "Gettin' Jiggy Wit It." This waz the perfect 1st single.

Then, late July, they should have released "Block Party" to radio. That would be the perfect double threat single 2 radio. That's what Usher usually does, release the songs 2 radio b4 the videos and while the past single is still hot (a week or 2 ago he had Yeah!, Burn, and Confessions all in Billboard's Top 10). While "How Da Beat Goes" waz blazing, "Block Party" would have been the perfect, laid-back summertime joint 2 counter it on radio.

Then, in September / October, hit 'em with "Act Like You Know"...the perfect club banger and perfect 4 the fall time of year.

If the album is still going strong...hit 'em with "1,000 Kisses" 2 take it back 2 some radio friendly stuff...but "Give Me Tonite" is a better song. Fly, thick production and lyrics that all the fellas could relate 2.

It wazn't that hard!!! Man, Columbia is just ignorant. Oh well, some things happen 4 a reason. Now Will is off Columbia with a chance of releasing real music and Born To Reign has been 4gotten by the mainstream audience. FP's tyme is now...we just gotta wait 4 him.

Well we could also say that the reason why the sales lacked was 'cause it was released around the time where Big Will couldn't seriously promote it that much considerin' that he was promoting MIB2 and started shooting BB2 around that time. When "Black Suits Comin'" (Nod Ya Head) came out in June, the "Born To Reign" album was released that same month, but that wasn't a good idea. By the time the 2nd single "1000 Kisses" came out the album fell off the charts already! I was surprised that the album fell off the charts that fast 'cause it was a dope album, but most fans decided to buy Nelly's album instead! :cussing: "Big Willie Style" and "Willenium" sold a lot when they were released in the winters of '97 of '99, but they could've sold less if they were released the same time as "Men In Black" and "Wild Wild West" were. Think about it y'all if "Born to Reign" was released in the winter of '02 it would've been better for Big Will since he was done wit "MIB2" and finished shootin' "BB2" so he would've had time to shoot more videos but what was the point to do so then when the album had no more sales comin' in, the sales were dead when "1000 Kisses" came out, I was surprised that another single was even released, he needed a stronger song like "How The Beat Goes" or "Give Me Tonite" to revive sales in the album and "Block Party" could've been released last summer and the album would've gone multiplatinum.

Born To Reign is a summertime album tho'. I think it would have done worse in the winter. 95% of that album is so summery when it comes 2 sound and lyrics, it just wouldn't fit in the winter in my opinion. Men In Black 2 waz a hit after all, u think that would have helped the album out a lil' bit. "BSC" also got decent play in the beginning so it's not like that track waz totally ignored. Will also did a do a decent bit of promotion on TV and various morning shows. However, after that, the only musical promotion he did waz when he did "1,000 Kisses" live on BET when he put out the video (months 2 late).

they only reason they used BSC, was to kill 2 birds with 1 stone. MIB2, and B2r, both Released through sony(Columbia pictures/Music). Why not plug the movie, and the song at the same time. Notice how when MIB2 died out in theatres, NOTHING was mentioned of Will's music.

man, my first choice would be:: give me 2nite...I don't i like that song.it makes me wanna be wit some 1 else girl 4 da night
second single would be: i gotta go home
third:I can't stop.
and that's as far as i can go..
aight man, peace