JJFP reunite for 50 years of Hip Hop December 10 ×
Jazzy Jeff & Fresh Prince Forum

Will's Comeback

[quote=willreign,Jul 4 2004, 05:41 AM]and if Will and Jeff will come back toghether 4 a full disc they will just look like 2 old guys that try 2 remake they great career and i'm not sure it will work... I think that just 3 or 4 tracks from all the disc need 2 b with Jeff not more...[/quote]
JJ+FP are already legends. They wouldn't be 'remaking' their career cuz, like FrshPrnceCharmng said, it's not really a comeback. They aren't lost and out of the limelight or anything. I think the more trax with Jeff, the better.

[quote=willreign,Jul 4 2004, 09:41 AM]if Will and Jeff will come back toghether 4 a full disc they will just look like 2 old guys that try 2 remake they great career and i'm not sure it will work... I think that just 3 or 4 tracks from all the disc need 2 b with Jeff not more...[/quote]
U could only say something like that if u weren't down with JJ+FP when they were doin' their thing. JJ+FP would be welcomed back by alot of people. They don't need 2 come back and try 2 re-create what they once have. When u are the kinda group who made the kinda impact they did, people are just happy 2 have u back and don't expect u 2 do the same things...they just expect the same quality in new skool/old skool fashion. If JJ+FP came back, i highly doubt they'd be trying 2 do totally mainstream stuff at all. It would be JJ+FP for the current times and 4 the fans, not 4 the charts. I think that they'd still get mainstream success tho' without really trying. Limiting the trax Jeff dose is a stupid idea 2 me...think about the best songs on BWS and Willennium. It's All Good, Potnas, So Fresh, Pump Me Up, etc were the best trax on the album....Jeff only brings those albums 2 higher levels.

Yeah, I kinda wish Will was like 2pac...lyrically better. Not controversal though but whatever he does, chances are I'm definatly gonna like it no matter what.

Alot of people ask me, "well, what does Will Smith rap about?" ..."he doesnt really rap about anything"....ive also read it in some reviews and I still havent been able to answer.

• Admin
[quote=DevilsJim89,Jul 4 2004, 08:45 PM]Yeah, I kinda wish Will was like 2pac...lyrically better. Not controversal though but whatever he does, chances are I'm definatly gonna like it no matter what.

Alot of people ask me, "well, what does Will Smith rap about?" ..."he doesnt really rap about anything"....ive also read it in some reviews and I still havent been able to answer.[/quote]
will raps about life..girls..fame..dreams..growing up..family..he tells storys.. he represnts ol skool raps..raps about how dope jeff is... :poke:

will might not have the skills of other rappers but he makes up for it with his personality/honesty/emotions and fun

• Admin
[quote=DevilsJim89,Jul 4 2004, 09:39 PM]see how bad his singles represent him?! lol....well the post-97 ones...[/quote]
boom didnt represent code red at all.. and basically all of sony singles and to a lesser extent a lot of jives singles... its a pity many people dont realise how dope the albums are :ditto:

Guest Prince
Poorly selected singles has helped blow off many old school fans, and only appeal to temporary fans before the songs become "unpopular" and "yesterdays news" so everyone loses out in the long run. All the fans from the Big Willie Style era can't have all disappeared.

[quote=Hero1,Jul 4 2004, 11:29 PM]raps about how dope jeff is...  :poke:[/quote]
:kekeke: :kekeke:

Everything u guys mentioned is proof that most of the people that diss Will are the ones that haven't even heard his albums. They've made up their minds...they've chose 2 judge Will on his singles and nothin more. :bang:

Jim...u bring up a good point tho'. What's Will gonna rap about on the new album? He's done trax 2 the haters, (Don't Say Nothin', Uuhhh, I'm Comin') he's done many party trax, trax 2 Jada and his kids, (Just The Two of Us, Willow's A Player, 1,000 Kisses, Chasing Forever) philosophical trax like The Rain and Afro Angel...the only thing I see Will doing now is more party trax! :poke: Edited by WildWildWillennium

Thats the problem with the music industry, Judging artists on their singles. We can't exactly say we havent done the same thing. I get put off artists cos of their singles that have been released but have heard and album of the same artist by a friend and actually enjoyed it. Its just the way things are.

I believe Will, will be rapping about all the same things again, just in different ways and different contexts. 8 albums of the same stuff and we are not bored, well why not a ninth of similar stuff int erms of what he's rapping about anyway wouldn't be bad.

Sorry bout the LL Cool J guessing of the age, i always thought he was alittle younger than Will.

There you go bursting my bubble :P

• Admin
[quote=Prince,Jul 5 2004, 04:32 AM]Poorly selected singles has helped blow off many old school fans, and only appeal to temporary fans before the songs become "unpopular" and "yesterdays news" so everyone loses out in the long run. All the fans from the Big Willie Style era can't have all disappeared.[/quote]
i think a lot of the bws fans were teeny bopper girls and young kids..and they are never gonna hang around... in fact when willennium came out all these people said they hate the album and the only traxs they liked were will2k and freakin it :nhawong: u can check the amazon reviews for the proof :poke: i think theres a lot more kinda dormant ol skool jjfp fans that would buy a new jjfp album than those past BWS era fans

[quote=willreign,Jul 4 2004, 03:41 AM]and if Will and Jeff will come back toghether 4 a full disc they will just look like 2 old guys that try 2 remake they great career and i'm not sure it will work... I think that just 3 or 4 tracks from all the disc need 2 b with Jeff not more...[/quote]
JJ&FP could still be successful if they release full length album together, look at how successful the Beastie Boys are right now and they're around the same age as JJ&FP and their album's currently in the top 10 on the Billboard charts. :nana:

[quote=JumpinJack AJ,Jul 4 2004, 06:31 PM][quote=willreign,Jul 4 2004, 09:41 AM] if Will and Jeff will come back toghether 4 a full disc they will just look like 2 old guys that try 2 remake they great career and i'm not sure it will work... I think that just 3 or 4 tracks from all the disc need 2 b with Jeff not more...[/quote]
U could only say something like that if u weren't down with JJ+FP when they were doin' their thing. JJ+FP would be welcomed back by alot of people. They don't need 2 come back and try 2 re-create what they once have. When u are the kinda group who made the kinda impact they did, people are just happy 2 have u back and don't expect u 2 do the same things...they just expect the same quality in new skool/old skool fashion. If JJ+FP came back, i highly doubt they'd be trying 2 do totally mainstream stuff at all. It would be JJ+FP for the current times and 4 the fans, not 4 the charts. I think that they'd still get mainstream success tho' without really trying. Limiting the trax Jeff dose is a stupid idea 2 me...think about the best songs on BWS and Willennium. It's All Good, Potnas, So Fresh, Pump Me Up, etc were the best trax on the album....Jeff only brings those albums 2 higher levels. [/quote]
I'm just telling you what kids in my age think... that's all...
i'm not a Jeff fan as ya'll know wltho I admire his work and aprisate it alot...
but Will need 2 work alone and create stuff on his own...
they made an impact but now they r gone and not alot of teens know who is JJ...
how many tracks like "pump me up" Will can do? ok so another sentece like "Jeff make it sound like a bired yeah yeah..." but he can't make a full album based on that right?
Will never did something 4 the fans... havn't mentioned them when he won an award or in songs or came here down 2 us 2 hear what we want... so I don't think JJ+FP song will b 4 us...
I never said not JJ in WS album... the opposite I want it 2... but not alot... and I hopw we will hear better singels from Will in the future...

• 1 year later...

Well it looks like Will was able to have a nice comeback off of releasing "Lost and Found", going platinum, winning an AMA award, and solidifying himself as one of the greatest mcs ever amoung hip-hop heads after Columbia tainted his image for a lil' while, Columbia wishing they probably never released him, lol, I knew it was gonna happen when even a lot of us were doubting and I actually predicted that with Kanye's success that some contemporary fans would open up to Will and that did happen actually, not all commercial rappers are hardcore like it was a few years ago...

Will lost his popularity 'cause there was a lot of popular gangsta rappers and he didn't fit in with that image, "Code Red" didn't sell much then even though it was one of JJFP's best albums, there was worse quality albums in '02 that outsold "Born To Reign", gangsta rap was popular then too, people got tired of Will's clean image and wanted some G ****, but people're came around later on and they're coming around again now too, that's why people gave Will a chance, people get tired of hearing everybody make songs about guns and drugs, like he said: "When them other rappers are done getting you to jump/I give you what you really want", they want an alternative and it was perfect timing for Will, everything happens for a reason, it's nice to know that his career's still alive, the label that he sign to Interscope could've pushed it better and it would've been the highest selling album last year but they didn't water down his image and that's the most important thing, now the hit single that blew up "Switch" was a party track but all the people who heard his albums over the years know that he's a great lyricist, you don't need a song on the radio to tell you that, most rappers don't release their most lyrical tracks as singles, 2Pac and LL released a lot of party singles too, there ain't nothing wrong with party tracks, hip-hop started with nothing but party jams, hip-hop needs to have more fun music again, too much beefing, Will could do serious songs but he still needs to make club jams that rock the dancefloors and arenas, he's great at that as the "Party Starter", lol...

If you're a fan of rap you buy albums and the album's content tells you if it's a dope artist or not, some mcs just have dope singles and wack albums too(most rappers out now, well even their singles suck for that matter sometimes, lol), Will basically raps about more things than 99% of the rap industry, most rappers make a million songs about drug dealing but Will raps about issues in the community and in his life, he's a real mc, and with LL and his new album now "Control Myself" is probably his least lyrical song on there even though it's mad popular, people who listen to radio don't listen for lyrics most of the time, maybe 15-20 years ago but the last 5 years that changed especially, what's the most popular song in rap since 2000, "In Da Club", is that really more lyrical than "Gettin' Jiggy Wit It"? lol.... That's why some of the best lyricists of all time don't even have that many hits, Kool G Rap could probably rip 99% of the chart rappers today even though he didn't have many hits, that's why "Party Starter" didn't have much radio success but rap fans loved it though, a lot of people on rap boards loved it, I brought this topic back to rub it in the doubters face, I told you so, can't count Will out!!!

Edited by bigted