JJFP reunite for 50 years of Hip Hop December 10 ×
Jazzy Jeff & Fresh Prince Forum

Will's Comeback

Even with all this good news about him doing this and that with his music, does anyone here think he can successfully make another smash hit album in the mainstream again? I'm here learning about LL Cool J and he's been in the game for almost 20 years like Will yet LL is doing so much better. I think Will should sign with DefJam, they don't seem to give up on LL even though he might be "too old" even though hes just 34.

Being mainstream doesn't only count to me, of course I desperatly want a new album over any popularity but it would be nice to see Will (go back as JJFP) and rock the charts and be a smash all over MTV yet it seems like nobody likes him as a musician anymore. Well the people around me and my generation anyway.

I don't know what the hell I'm thinking, just desperate for music with tons of thoughts on my mind.

Well i think this next album is defiantly his make or break album, im doubting a comeback a little, but then when i hear about all this good news like Will workin with jeff, mary j and timberland, it makes me think he can make another hit album.

I think it does depend on how he goes about releasing it and trying to get rid of his pop, movie crossover image. It might be why he is taking his time with the album, coz hes gotta do it right this time.

If he cant comeback in america im sure he can in europe tho, nod ya head was a hit here and i think 1000 kisses might have got somewhere in the charts if columbia had actually released it. Plus didnt and in this corner flop? then him and jeff came bk with homebase and classic hit.

Im not really sure what to expect from the album, i guess anything can happen in the music biz.

There's hope for Big Will still 'cause Kanye West is popular for the positive song "Jesus Walks"(I wouldn't imagine it getting played on TRL 'cause most rap videos played on there are ignorant booty shaking ones). You're right Jim, LL's keepin' his name out there and it could be the best that he's not as successful as Will in acting 'cause people pay attention more to his music not his movies. Being a worldwide famous actor for Will could be the gift and the curse(his movies doing very well, but most sell-out fans think that Will's just an actor trying to rap, not knowing that Will's been rapping since he was 12). I actually hope that one of Big Will's movies flop so that he could put more energy back into his music again, by going on tour and taking a break from actin'.
P.S.-LL Cool J's 36 not 34 right now Edited by bigted

I agree with Julie. This album will be Will's make or break album. I think the reason why Will isn't known for being lyricall great is all of the singles released from Columbia. You got to have some type of meaningful song released. Yeah "Just the two of us" was meaningful yet I know I don't bump to that when playing it. Also all 3 of is albums have been led by soundtrack songs. Yeah I like most of them but they are not album material except "Just Cruisin".

Columbia should've released "Give Me Tonite" (which sounds like a Kanye West song) and "How Da Beat Goes" (Amazing how this song wasn't released.)They just gave up on the album alltogether. 1,000 kisses was released yet it dont think was a wise choice. Its a nice breezy hip-hop song yet it shouldn't have been released. I think Will needs to adapt to the music style again like he did with "Homebase" and "Code Red". Seems like the style out now is that "crunk" style. But whatever Will does will no doubt be good.

I'm amazed at LL. I think he's been more successful then Will in music. LL just keeps rollin' even while doing movies. Will takes too long of a break too release music. Well it seems like that. I'm just too impatient. Edited by DevilsJim89

I think for Will to be considered like you said a "lyrical king", he'd have to release a lot more music. A lot of it is the fault of Columbia, but it's also from Will's choices do to continue doing so much movies.

So here's what I'd like to see:

Like three albums released through the next three years.
With each album having no more than one party single.

God Blessa!

[quote=KevTastic,Jul 3 2004, 11:52 AM]LL COOL J AINT 36. Do the math he came out in 85 when he was 16.

Just alittle bursting of the bubble there[/quote]
Hey man LL Cool J was born on January 14, 1968 so YOU do the math here, I know what I'm talking about! :nana:

I think he can do it, he just needs better singles so people will stop judging his skillz as an emcee with "Gettin' Jiggy Wit It" and start looking at his more serious side with trax like "The Rain" where he actually talks about something (Since almost all his singles have been party joints)...and he'll have more freedom 2 do so now that he's not with Sony/Columbia.

As long as he comes out, I'll be happy. He said it'z old school, which may be a good, but at the same time bad thing. As far as him adjusting his style 2 those out now. HA! Gangsta was in. Code Red?!? I really hope he finds the right home 4 the album.

I guess it's just me, but I don't see this as a come back. He hasn't necessarily gone out of sight. Plenty of artists have a few years with no album. Will's last album was released in '02. The time between Big Willie Style and Willenium was two years. Two years isn't that long of a wait. Anyway, comeback or not, I don't doubt that this album will do well. I doubt it could hit diamond status, but I'm thinking Will'll make sure it'll do much better than Born to Reign. :touche: I love this sword fighting.

ammm i'm sceptical (w/ u wright it)...
I don't think he should b in defjem... they R from the west WS isn't connected 2 them... and ludacris, chingy and Will toghether in the same label is just not right...
and if Will and Jeff will come back toghether 4 a full disc they will just look like 2 old guys that try 2 remake they great career and i'm not sure it will work... I think that just 3 or 4 tracks from all the disc need 2 b with Jeff not more...