JJFP reunite for 50 years of Hip Hop December 10 ×
Jazzy Jeff & Fresh Prince Forum

"the rain"

Mike

I don't understand how they couldn't release a 3rd single, remember how long the wait between singles "Big Willie Style" was? I think it only sold around 3 million after the 2nd single, if Will released "The Rain" and "Potnas" as the 3rd and 4th singles, "The Rain" in Spring of 2000 and the other "Potnas" in late summer 2000, Sony gave up on the album too soon, it coulda easily outsold Eminem's overrated album if the right singles were released, LL Cool J's "G.O.A.T." had the same problem on promotion later that year too, I really thought "Homicide" and "Can't Think" would've been powerful releases, oh well, coulda, shoulda, woulda! :davidblaine:

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

It wouldn't shock me if Interscope doesn't release a 3rd single if "Party Starter" doesn't start helping sales soon, it's been out on radio for over one month and the video came out on 106 & Park 2 weeks ago and it still hasn't impacted since sales're still slippin', but there was no excuse for Columbia not to release a 3rd single, it sold 2 million here in the US and over 3 million worldwide, it wasn't a failure since it was one of the highest selling albums but it didn't reach it's full potential of being the highest selling album sorta like now since I think going gold now is like selling 2 million in 2000, there was more platinum albums then, but then again I'll never quite understand how Jive could release so many singles for "Code Red" and yet it didn't do that well, actually it probably did better in the UK than over here 'cause more singles were released there instead of here.

Edited by bigted

Maybe but only Boom was succesful, nothing els dented the top 20.

Boom realistically is seen as a novelty song by alot of people which is a shame, goes down with Ice Ice Baby, U Can't Touch This, and Jump Around as floor fillers but that being it.

The rain is one of my fave songs too. lyrically its one of his best, i think the older people can appreciate it a bit more. The whole song makes so much sence to me. It would have been nice to release it but im not sure if its "radio friendly". Some people wouldnt get the metaphor (even tho i did and im stupid) but the mtv generation wouldnt listen close enough to get it.

The Rain is one of my most underrated tracks of all time. when i first got Willennium and i wasn't a die-hard JJFP fan i didn't pay attention to that track because it was at the end of the album and the end of albums always tend to be boring or lose your interest. it wasn't till a couple years later that i realized what a great song this is. i still underrate it today. i'll listen to it once every 6 months and think "what a good track" and then i'll totally 4get about it after that. thank u 4 reminding me how good it is.

As I've gotten older I've been able to relate to "The Rain" more, when I was 14-15 years old when this album came out it was one of my least favorite tracks even though I did like it, now at 20 years old I could appreciate the heart of this track much more, this is a timeless song, I enjoy more and more every time I hear it.

Edited by bigted