JJFP reunite for 50 years of Hip Hop December 10 ×
Jazzy Jeff & Fresh Prince Forum

Kanye West causes controversy on NBC

Frenetic

Ted, I followed the Bill O'Reilly situation last year very closely. One of the producers of his program accused him of verbal sexual harassment, over the phone at that, not rape. There was no trial, there was no charge. There was only an accusation. There was never any threat of a criminal charge. There was a civil lawsuit, and this was filed out of court. Your statements were more than typos. You were simply misinformed.

Incidentally, you may want to read through the link you posted.

• Replies 305
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The thing is though more people criticize 2Pac for his thug life than they do for Eminem for all the stuff that he did so far, it's like it's ok if Eminem makes a scene in public but when 2Pac did it the media nailed him hard and still do, the East Coast-West Coast beef is the most memorable thing of Pac's career, before that he was a conscious rapper like Common that was slept on, he wasn't famous till he was shot and then couldn't control his emotions that much after that, I could understand that somebody could feel angry after they were shot it's all normal, it's like you gotta hide all your emotions when your black or else you'll get criticised, we all gotta be Uncle Toms in other words, 2Pac was a true man not no uncle time, he wasn't afraid to speak his mind.  In fact the bandwagon fans ignore the songs like "Keep Ya Head Up" and "Dear Mama", it's like the way 2Pac is betrayed by the media you'd think that he was just a heartless wannable thug like 50 Cent, they don't really know the true story of his career and yet Eminem is considered a hero for talking about killing his mama and his girlfriend, you don't think if he was black he'd be criticized more? Allen Iverson made an album say fag a lot like Eminem and yet his got shelved, sure he might not have much skills but at least he should be allowed to release his album just like Eminem is when he says fag a million times, Kanye West stood up and said rappers shouldn't say fag, I bet the media might get on him about that too gradually just like they did with Will sayin' that he curses a lot in his movies when it's only a script really, it's like the ones that stand up for somethin' get criticised and the ones that pollute the airwaves get praised. 2Pac loved women and his mama too, he hated scandelous women so he called them bitches, I feel the same way too about that so shoot me too right? We gotta address problems in society and talk them out just like this instead of avoiding talking about it and just acting like everything's perfect, you say it was a bad time and place but I say it's a good time in place, when is the right time to talk about something?  Bush would have less blacks hating on him if he'd talk to representives of hip-hop like Russell Simmons and Chuck D more often to understand their point of views and then find a way to do things to improve the black community, when people ignore you you get mad, people protested in Texas and yet Bush didn't acknowledge the woman and sit down to talk to her for 5 minutes, if you talk to somebody the problem could easily be solved!  For a lot of blacks a lot of times we have no options but to sell crack, play ball, or rap to make a living, it's harder for us to get jobs even if we have degrees and if we ever go to jail it's even harder for us to be accepted back in society, Bush and all politicians needs to address this issue too. I graduated high school 2 years ago and yet I could only keep a job at a store for like 6 months at a time so far and sometimes I wonder what I'm gonna do? I work hard too but they lay me off and don't call me back even when their buisiness picks up again so I have to go somewhere else, I wonder if things will change when I graduate college, it frustrates me sometimes, hopefully I'll still be able to afford the internet, lol, I wanna do the best I can to get by I don't wanna go down the fast lane doing somethin' I'll regret later on so I pray that I'll make it, sometimes hope isn't enough for us though, pride is all we have. Anyway, I remember hearing about the Bill O'Reilly trial just like once or twice on the news last year, they didn't focus in on it that much so if you blinked you missed it, a woman who worked on FoxNewsChannel for Bill O'Reilly's show accused him of rape, read all about it here if you want to:

http://beldar.blogs.com/beldarblog/2004/10...ning_litig.html

btw, Jim ain't u a MC Hammer fan?  He made a song called "Brothers Hang On" where he expresses the exact mentality of how blacks are treated in society, some of these lines are my thoughts right now too, they don't even have the damn lyrics online I had to type them myself from listening to the song just now, it's retarted that positive mcs like MC Hammer get ignored, I just figured f*** it it's a deep song and it'd make a great point about what I'm sayin' here, Kanye has the right to express how we all feel, Hammer's probably proud of him!:

You want to compare Eminem with someone, be reasonable; compare him with another contemporary rapper. All these rappers are talking about doing drugs, smoking weed, killing people, robing people, and they are enjoying the exact same leniency that Eminem is enjoying, and they're black. Some of them go to jail and get out and no one remembers that they went to jail. No one mentions it. It's not just Eminem. It's the culture now. If someone came out now and said the same exact things that 2 Pac said before, there wouldn't be nearly as much controversy as there was when 2 Pac said them.

Also, no, it was not the right time for Kanye to say what he said. Again, this was a benefit concert to raise funds to help people suffering from the effects of the hurricane and the flood. This was not the time to criticize the federal government and the president. It was a time to build unity and get everyone to work together. Instead, Kanye's statements served to fuel disunity at a time when that is the last thing people need.

Lastly, I'll say this again... If Kanye felt the need to call someone out, he should have called out the young men who are perpetrating violence during a time of tragedy. What excuse is there to go around raping girls, looting people's home and stores looking for valuables, shooting at rescue workers and citizens who, for many, have been through the worst event in their lives; taking advantage of a time of tragedy to promote lawlessness.

Ted, I followed the Bill O'Reilly situation last year very closely. One of the producers of his program accused him of verbal sexual harassment, over the phone at that, not rape. There was no trial, there was no charge. There was only an accusation. There was never any threat of a criminal charge. There was a civil lawsuit, and this was filed out of court. Your statements were more than typos. You were simply misinformed.

You just don't get it do you?! You don't think that if it was a black commentator, he'd be taken off the air as soon as the scandal hit the air? I mean if a black commentator just says something controversial they'll instantly throw him off the air. My man I think a lot of people in our society are blind to reality, people don't know what it feels like for me to be black if I screw up my life is ruined. It doesn't matter what happened there I don't give a f*** but he turns around to criticise rappers for doing things when he ain't no saint himself he needs to keep his damn mouth shut, if Will Smith did something like this believe me his image would be ruined, mark my word on that one! Why the hell are you debating this anyway, if Will was there he'd say the same thing too, KRS would say the same thing, hell Chuck D wrote a song about it already, the hip-hop community is applauding what Kanye's doing, this ain't about how much skills he has, it's about being a man and standing up for what you believe in, isn't this why we like Will too? I'm not saying he's on the same level as Will but in a rap industry that's full of heartless rappers just saying or doing anything to sell records I just don't expect it from any of these commercial rappers, a lot of underground rappers would say something but they can't since they ain't on TV, but Kanye surprised me and I'm gonna support him more now! btw, here's the lyrics I wrote today getting my feelings out, I usually would just post it in "Caught In The Middle" but I feel it's only appropriate for this post:

Many people have lost labor from the hurricane

So we ain't in no mood to celebrate labor day

This is a message from mother nature that we need to change our ways

We can't treat other like strangers, we don't need a president that closes his eyes like we're slaves

I'm not biting my tongue, I lift my fist in a rage

Like Chuck D just said “Hell No, We Ain't All Right” and like Will Smith asks, “Tell Me Why The F*** Can't Love Seem To Defeat Hate?”

In this life we all got parts on the stage

I wish that I was president just for this one day

So things could get done the right way

The gas prices are going up and I'm receiving much lower pay

Like Run-Dmc I wanna lead the people to “Walk This Way”

I see my mama start crying from we saw on TV today

It feels like these are our relatives that're going through this state

Of caious this seems more like a horror movie than a reality

Living in this world of greed is like feeling like feeses

That're going down a dumpster, I ain't letting them murder me

“The Message” from Melle Mel is represented through me

I see the broken glass everywhere, I wanna do something about it 'cause I care

I'm not trying to be an a**hole I just want to make that clear

It feels like we're all dying of cancer and we're all overcome with fear

So this moment as I stand I wanna beat my drum loud so you could hear

And for all the victims we lost I take a moment of silence and shed a tear

I dedicate my fight for y'all, till I die I'm gonna do the best as I can as a citizen to make sure to help my peeps stand tall"

i think we're just gonna have to agree to disagree on this topic. i understand that Kanye is doing what he thinks is right and he's speaking out and he's trying to make a difference. i applaud him for that. i just don't applaud his judgement because (IMO) that wasn't the place to say that. in times like these, we need to stick together. Ted, i'm sure u understand what Max and me and some others are saying and i understand what u are saying about Kanye's statement. we just have different views. so let's agree to disagree because neither side can really be proven as right and it'll just lead to more arguments. deal? :davidblaine:

now as far as those other topics u kinda walked off on, go ahead and keep debating those lol

I was going to type a big long response, but then I read Reborn's response and decided to keep the peace, good job reborn.

After reading the full transcript. I think that was some strong statements for Kanye to make. I just wish he would have understood and pre-apologized before making such a statement. Like "I'm sorry but this has to be said..." A lot of you are saying that wasn't the right place to say such a thing. Well, it was all about the Hurricane and helping the victims. As far as I'm concerned, what he said did. He's voice reached new ears to pitch in, and old ears to keep doing whatever they are doing to help. Had it been 2pac or Nas, Public Enemy or CHuck D; I guess it would have been a different story.

Do y'all remember the end of the movie John Q? Nas was in a clip and said "The government doesn't care anything about us man." Do U got a problem with that? That's basically the same thing Kanye said. Maybe it wasn't good to make it a race thing. Just say, we need to help 'people' in New Orleans. And that's it. The Human Race. End of story.

And I think it's almost funny how New Orleans is the murder capital of the United States. Or the runner up or something. I tuned into the news and they said in the Dome, that rapes had occured, fights broke out, a guard's gun was snatched and people shot, pregnancies, and probably a whole lotta other **** . U know? We do what we can to help, but this is the ways of the world. Sometimes I wonder about a lot of stuff that's contradictory or moral/realisticly wrong.

Live 8 was done to make people aware of the situation. And that was the same with the NBC Concert. What's the situation? West says black people not getting the help they need like if it was someone else in their shoes right now. Things gone wrong, and people are just trying to make them right.

You just don't get it do you?! You don't think that if it was a black commentator, he'd be taken off the air as soon as the scandal hit the air? I mean if a black commentator just says something controversial they'll instantly throw him off the air. My man I think a lot of people in our society are blind to reality, people don't know what it feels like for me to be black if I screw up my life is ruined. It doesn't matter what happened there I don't give a f*** but he turns around to criticise rappers for doing things when he ain't no saint himself he needs to keep his damn mouth shut, if Will Smith did something like this believe me his image would be ruined, mark my word on that one! Why the hell are you debating this anyway, if Will was there he'd say the same thing too, KRS would say the same thing, hell Chuck D wrote a song about it already, the hip-hop community is applauding what Kanye's doing, this ain't about how much skills he has, it's about being a man and standing up for what you believe in, isn't this why we like Will too? I'm not saying he's on the same level as Will but in a rap industry that's full of heartless rappers just saying or doing anything to sell records I just don't expect it from any of these commercial rappers, a lot of underground rappers would say something but they can't since they ain't on TV, but Kanye surprised me and I'm gonna support him more now! btw, here's the lyrics I wrote today getting my feelings out, I usually would just post it in "Caught In The Middle" but I feel it's only appropriate for this post:

Ted, why don't you just admit that you were wrong about the entire O'Reilly thing. First you said that he charged with rape. Then you said it was a typo and that you meant that someone accused him of rape. However, no one accused him of rape. Before you try to make points, you have to get the facts straight or any points you do try to make become moot as a result to the glaring inaccuracy in such statements as the one you made about O'Reily...

I hope you address the gross inaccuracy in your statement about O'Reilly.

Next...

If Will had said what Kanye said, or anything similar, I would be saying the same thing. Why create divisiveness when you are asked to create unity. Truthfully, I think Will would avoid such a topic and do what NBC asked him to do. He strikes me as someone who has tact... Kanye on the other hand...

Well, I just watched and listened to what Kanye said. Now, there are a bit of ways to look at this. Kanye stuttered and nervously spoke through all of it. I've gotten that way before. Obviously, he was speaking his own mind. Not some cue card. Myers nodded his head in agreement as Kanye was speaking. Kanye said "black people" to reach out more I guess. Of course he didn't have to, but he did.

Now the "George Bush doesn't care about black people" statement. How can Kanye say that when there are other races suffering there as well? That's the majority. And besides, it's not like all he said was "Black people this and black people that". He said poor, black, less well off. But I can't make excuses for the man. Myers looked, I guess shocked when West said that. Maybe because he was a Bush supporter and I don't think Kanye was suppose to speak during that part because his mic volume was off or lowered. All you heard was room echo. So perhaps Kanye said that so then Bush would prove him wrong and "do something" about it. Maybe he took that to heart, and what he said is bigger than the destruction from the hurricane. It just opened eyes. Only Kanye knows why he said what he said. Or at least he better had.

About the looting:

Dawg your familys dying, what u gon do when the goverment ain't there for u? HUH? U can stand still and not go to the grocerystore and steal some food? Cause it's wrong? Ain't it wrong for your baby do die? Ain't it wrong that the goverment instead of protecting and helping NO after all the warnings the goverment still, still cut back on the funds of hurricane preparations? Cause they need to balance their budget cause of a war without a reason!?

I AIN'T seen ONE, ONE picture of a guy with a TV or DVD. I only seen people with food and diapers and soap.

So people dying, crying, starvin ain't worth the effort to react and put the military in, BUT when stores are getting robbed we gon give the army permission to shoot and kill? WHERE'S THE LOGICS?

About the time to say it:

Whenever something radical in the society or a huge discussion starts, there is ONE man,ONE woman that takes the lead ans says something. It's worth the effort cause somethign needs to happen, something needs to change.

About people being dumb for not evacuating:

It's easy to say that when u got cash and live in a house right? Image u got no cash, 4 kids and no car. There weren't busses near to able to pick up all the residents. THAT'S THE GOVERMENST responsibilty. People can't just pick up and leave like that, it isn't so easy to get a ride when everybody just wants to get out as fast as possible. Don't be arrogant, u know u can't just diss people like that.

What about the people going to the superdome expecting to be rescued after the stormn but had to wait 4 days without food, you can't expect all people to say sharp at a sitaution like that.

About racism and blacks not getting evacuated

I hate Bush from the deepest part of my heart, but I don't think he's a racist. BUT, BUT i actually do think he's raised in a racist or atleast discriminating enviroment, his dad planted Crack in the hood to control the rising black people. He's grand, grand father's probably a ****ing redneck texas KKK. BUT i don't think bush thought that he could **** the black people when he didn't react to the warnings and evacuation. I just belive the dude's a idiot and is infected with sub-counscious racism just like 20-30% of white america.

Maxfly:

Why don't u just realize that when it's tensions like this in the society they need to get realesed and discussed. Kanye did that, he spoke for alot of people. If they don't have their feelings out it'll get nasty, remember rodney king? There weren't any shows like this at that moment and people trying to critizice the police were either radical blacks or idiots. There were vary few normal people speaking their mind. They got the oppurtunity now and now someone said what alot of people feel, hopefully there'll be a nice debate in the media about this now.

I don't see why it's wrong to do it at a benefit concert, cause he also said: "The red cross is doing all they can".

Come on, don't be naive, I really, really hope will would't read from a transscript. I remember after 9/11 he spoke about people need to chill down with violence against muslims.

After hearing "Lost and Found" where Will pours out his rage towards the media probably the best in his career on wax and I think that's why a lot of us think it's his best album ever, I think even my mind is swaying towards that way too now, this album needs to have as much impact as when he won the 1st rap grammy. I don't think he'd be a Uncle Tom and say nothin', he may not curse in his songs but that don't mean he's soft("Lost is when you hide behind the freedom of speech") and he does call Kanye West the truth, I always shook my head a lil' bit about that but now I know why, "Jesus Walks" is a powerful song though too that I always liked though that I think is more powerful than most commercial rappers careers, btw Frenetic is right remember 9/11's telethon, he was on stage with Muhamadd Ali and made a powerful statement, Will's one of the realest brothers in the hip-hop community, that's why he has a good chance in being the first black president if there ever is one. The streets say f*** Elvis since James Brown is our hero"Elvis was a hero to most but he never meant s*** to me", "I'm sayin' it loud 'cause I'm black and I'm proud", it pissed me off that when James Brown was diagnosed with cancer the media brought up how he went to jail for cocaine possession in '88, that's not the right time to bring that up, God Damn the man had cancer!(Thank God he's all right so he's back out there performing going unnoticed by the media.) And for the record f*** Bill O'Reilly 'cause he doesn't give a f*** about hip-hop, he dissed Ludacris who produced "Party Starter" and is good friends with Will too, I wanna watch his show tomorrow just to see how he responds to Kanye. The truth is the government needs to recognise the power of hip-hop 'cause this is the top voice of the black community and if Bush could get together with Russell Simmons, Will Smith, Kanye West, Chuck D, and KRS-ONE he'd understand why the f*** we're mad at him, I doubt he'll respond to what Kanye said though, maybe there needs to be another million man march. You need to understand that Kanye talkin' about this could open up doors for the hip-hop community and the government to work together to help clean up the streets from all the problems and there won't be a prejudice, somebody has to say something, we can't just lie down and die! If you asked anybody on the streets of New Orleans I bet they'd tell you: "F*** Bush!", it ain't just blacks hating on him right now, obviously a lot of white people are too 'cause I saw the other day on CNN that his approval is down to a low 40%, the nation is mad right now, Kanye ain't the only one, he stands for America! I could see why there's a prejudice though towards hip-hop 'cause of who gets the most airtime, 50 Cent and Mike Jones are heartless Uncle Tom rappers who do anything to just make money for themselves and don't care about what other people think about them when they do it, they make us look like stupid n****rs in society, we need better role models to be the most selling in hip-hop, we need to bring back the Fugees, MC Hammer, KRS-ONE, and Public Enemy and maybe they'll learn to take hip-hop more seriously if we brought subject matter to the airwaves("rap was smart and multilayered/we could rap without a&r's and ultimatadems, damn!"), like Hammer once said: "my hero's are rarely seen!(on in trouble)" and they are my heroes that I never see, 50 Cent and Mike Jones are a disgrace to the black community and the hip-hop community, they make us look like we're all idiots who can't read(Lost is when you're a slave to the biz/and don't care what you're saying to kids), 50 didn't go to Live 8 'cause he was too busy shootin' his movie about his fake thug life to make more money? I'm tired of lookin' at these motherf****s that make videos with no subject matter this is why we want "Lost and Found" to do so well too right? 50 Cent is only entertainment 'cause he's only a rapper, Will Smith is a way of life 'cause he's hip-hop, hip-hop needs to come back to the top 'cause this is more than entertainment, this is a movement that was cut short by when all the fake thugs came and we lost our leader 2Pac who stood for the fight always, he and Will were good friends too, he said he's a thug 'cause the media treats blacks like thugs, he was just throwin' it back the hate they gave him, that's why the streets consider him the greatest, he stood for the streets, the Malcolm X of the hip-hop generation, the media tarnished his legacy too, they just don't wanna see a strong black man on top for the whole world to see, they just focus in on the ones that're only entertaining for themselves and ignore the ones who wanna make a difference in the community, we need to break the barrier between the media and the streets. We seriously need another golden era in hip-hop again, we need to accomplish Martin's dream and live in a life where if we do something wrong and we try to do right again we all get forgiven 'cause God forgives us all for our sins but the media doesn't seem to forgive all blacks when we sin but God rules this world, not the media(I have a dream that all men should not be judged by the color of their skin but by the content of their character). Everybody with fame that don't do anything to help the average people Lord have mercy on them 'cause they might be in hell, they better enjoy their rich life now with their eyes close to reality while the popular rappers just make songs about drugs and hoes and the youth follow them're getting high all day, I know so much because I don't flood my mind with drugs like a lot my age do. Chuck D addresses that in his terrordome too about how the rappers make songs about drugs and hoes with the youth following them, even some of their older siblings too . They ignore our hero Will Smith, something needs to be done to stop this, we gotta stop poisoning our seeds and learn to think. btw, Nas made a song called "I Wanna Talk To You", this is a dedication to Bush and all the leaders who ignore hip-hop, they needs to learn to relate to the black community and get on the same page, we don't need to fight, we need to unify, I could see your point Kanye could choose to say nothin' and maybe there won't be controversey for a while but by the hip-hop logic the issue will never get addressed and we'll stay divided in the longrun, hip-hop is aggressive, we don't take s*** for granted, you might look at 50 and think otherwise from what the media might intend when they show his videos a million times but that's why we need to get his ass off the air 'cause he ain't the representative of what hip-hop is, I was tossing and turning all night thinkin' about these things, anyway here's Nas' song:

[Chorus: repeat 2X]

I wanna talk to the mayor, the governor, the motherf----n president

I wanna talk to the FBI, and the CIA, and the motherf----n congressman

[Nas]

Step up to the White House let me in

Whats my reason for being I'm ya next to kin

And we built this motherf-----

You wanna kill me because my hunger?

Mr. America young black n----z want ya

I wanna talk to the man understand

Understand this motherf----n' G-pack in my hand

Look what happened to San Fran young girl hit by policeman

Twelve shots up in her dome, damn

N----z thought we slept but the architect sent

The Pentagon's from Egypt, government secret

The 99 to 2-G computer shutdown, what now

Extension on Earth, human cutdown

N----z play with PlayStations, they build a spacestations

On Mars plottin civilizations

Dissin us discriminatin different races

Tax payers pay for more jail for black, latin faces

Chorus

[Nas]

I'm just a black man why y'all made it so hard?, Damn!

N----z gotta go create their own job

Mr. Mayor imagine if this was your backyard?

Mr. Governor imagine if it was your kids that starved?

Imagine your kids gotta sling crack to survive

Swing a mack to be live, cart ack to get high

It's the ghetto life yeah I celebrate it, I live it

And all I got is what you left me with I'ma get it

Now y'all combinin all the countries we goin do the same

Combine all the cliques to make one gang

It ain't all about a black and white thing

It's to make the change, citizens of a higher plane

[Chorus]

[Nas]

What y'all waitin for the world to blow up

Before you hear this rewind this 4 minutes before we timeless

Let y'all n----z bang my s--- before Saddam hits

The Nastradamus tell us what time it is

They try to buy us with doe

Fake black leaders of puppets always talking bout the city budget

The news got it all confused lyin to the public

They eyes watchin stay wise move above it

Water floods predicted hurricanes twisters

Its all signs of the Armageddon three sixes

People reverse the system politics verse religion

Holy war muslim verse christians

N-----z in high places they don't have the balls for this

People in power sit back and watch them slaughter us

Mr. President I assume it was negligence

The streets upside down, I'm here to represent this

[Chorus] - 2X

[Nas]

Can I talk to you Mr. President?

N----z tryin to get with the computers

We ain't John Henry

Banging down machines and s---

Part of establishment

That's what we are steppin up for

This s--- is real

Total Package in this n----

LES in this n---

Ill Will n---

Mr. President wanna keep us from establishment

N-----z are american baby

American Made

If you look at this verse of "I Wish I Made That", you'd see how the media ignores Will 'cause he doesn't talk about that fake gangsta crap that other rappers do just to make money and get glory, after awhile I might be posting the whole damn album, Will could sell millions more if he robbed a bank but he'd lose his credablility and be known as a fake in the streets:

"Yo, ain’t no better man for this hype track

Just the veteran taking the mic back

David Letterman even said he like that track man

Even though he ain’t a rap fan

Black radio, they won’t play though

Ever since “Summertime” they ain’t liked none of mine

Even though the fans went out & bought enough

I guess they think Will ain’t hard enough

Maybe I should just have a shoot out

Run up in the bank, bustin’, grabbin’ all the loot out

Whoop somebody ass, taking my boot out

Right on TV so ya’ll can see me