JJFP reunite for 50 years of Hip Hop December 10 ×
Jazzy Jeff & Fresh Prince Forum

Kanye West causes controversy on NBC

Frenetic

• Replies 305
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This song "What Kinda World" by KRS-ONE demonstrates the feeling of the way the government treats us, they think it's ok for 50 Cent to make meaningless songs but when Kanye addresses what's going on with the Hurricane the media wants to put down hip-hop! :

"There's no such thing as a government

There's only people rulin over people

People jerkin around people

People lendin a hand to people..

What part of the system do you play?

Who do you oppress? .. Uhh!

[Chorus]

What kinda world are we livin in? Yo

What kinda world are we livin innnnnn?

Can I get with my people? Can I sit with my people?

Break bread with my people? Move ahead with my people?

[Chorus] - 1/2

[KRS-One]

When every day, seven thousand kids are gettin locked up

When every day the justice system seems to stay stocked up

When every day they cuttin 'em down 'fore they even pop up

When every day you gotta duck 'fore you get shot up

What kinda world are we livin in, spinnin in

Winnin in, sinnin in, let us begin again

Churches are ran like corporations makin me holla

Corporations are ran like churches praisin the dollar

There's no way out, or is it? Release your doubt and live it

Teachin metaphysics don't listen to these critics hear it

What kinda world are we livin in?

Believe in yourself, achieve for yourself, see for yourself

Speak for yourself, never weaken yourself, by deceivin yourself

Believe in your wealth, c'mon!

[Chorus]

[KRS-One]

Yo, yo, yeah

What kinda world are we livin out, we move about

in fear and doubt, tryin to get more clout

Just check it check it out, we took the wrong route

to a morality drought, basically I'm callin 'em out

What kinda world are we livin in, when a song

will not get on, unless it talks 'bout thongs

Now where did we go wrong? We don't have long

Preference all torn all worn not norm and all gone

What kinda world do we live around, when we lay around

Let me break it down, they shuttin us down

while we play around, we fallin, stallin

while God's callin, all in to fall in

[Chorus]

[Chorus] - 1/2

[KRS-One]

When every day another unwanted pregnancy ends

When every day another person is betrayed by a friend

When every day it never ends, and the people pretend

like the President is there cause of them, let me ask

What kinda world can we really trust

when the cops they can shoot at us? Bo bo!

What kinda world can we really grow (ohh)

when our daughters wanna be hoes (ohh)

and a father that nobody knows (ohh)

and a mother wearin them sexy clothes (ho)

What kinda world are we livin in, yo

What kinda world are we livin in, uhh

[Chorus] w/ variations

[KRS]

Can I get with my people? Can I sit with my people?

Can I sit with my people? Can I get with my people?

Can I sit with my people? Can I get with my people?

Fresh.. for two-thousand-one.. you SU-CKAZZZZZZ!"

Edited by bigted

Kanye is only standing up what he believes it. Most rappers dont give a **** like 50 cent. He only cares about dolla and nothing else, and the music awards Kanye blew loads of money out. they we're probably 1's but still

I think I'm gonna speak my mind on this, I'm usually quiet when it comes to this stuff because it does get controversial with everyones different opinions. heres mine.

I think it is real devasting what had happened down there. Theres innocent people suffering (white/black..whoever). Its amazing what mother nature can do with this big hurricane but this big phenominal hurricane has been overshadowed now by making it seem like a war zone down there. I feel bad for the people, I really do but you know what? you can only feel bad so much because look, on radio, tv, newspapers, human communication..etc. they knew this was coming. Damn I mean come on! Its a CATERGORY 5 hurricane!!! A CAT 5 Hurricane is the strongest and deadliest storm known. And it was coming dead on! How dumb do you have to be to not evacuate. Like it completely mind boggles me on how all of these people didn't leave. If you are poor, you run for the high hills. Jump on a bus or whatever. You do what you gotta do. Carpool even. I'm sure there was plenty of people who were willing to pick up people. I'm sorry (and im gonna take some heat for this) but everyone who didnt evacuate are idiots. And then they have the nerve to critizce the government for not helping fast enough? I guess they dont understand that its a danger zone down there and its hard to bring supplies in especially with how high the water is now and all the damge. Come on. All of them should've helped themselves by leaving when they were told and/or when they heard about this hurricane. Plain and simple.

Now our own military is shooting at the people? I think its sad but then again I feel it is nessacary, those people are stealing/raping/looting..etc commiting crimes during times of need and struggle. How is that not wrong? There should be U.N.I.T.Y down there where everybody is helping each other and not being selfish and if everyone helped each other, then it would make things easier. And what the hell is with these people commiting crimes? They should be shot at. They have some nerve to do that.

Kanye West as much as I like his new album and his music, he's turning this into controversy thats unnessacary, its not about white or BLACK people. Who cares what the hell your race is, you help each other. I guess Kanye doesnt realize everything thats wrong. He's gotta bring racism into this then attack of president? Come on Kanye, get real. If only you understood whats right and wrong. Obviosuly you don't and its time for you to shut your mouth unless you know the difference. I like how your speaking up but what your saying isn't fully right.

I think it was the right time and place.  So many people died in the hurricane, so many people died in the aftermath of the hurricane.  The reports that I've heard is that people don't even have food or water!  Babies dying!  For the longest time I didn't hear anything about help actually getting there, then when I did, it was army folks trained to kill!  (under the pretence that the area had turned into a hell hole and peace needed to be kept)  They actually mentioned on the news how these soldiers where needed because they where highly trained at killing!!!  This isn't the first hurricane to hit the US, but this seems to be the illest prepared for and recovered from though.  I'm not an expert on this stuff, but I recall in Afganistan, US troops where doing air drops of food to feed people.  Why aren't we getting food and water the hurricane survivors?  At last count, this was the highest natural disaster fatality count since 1906.  Three thousand people so far, and the government was doing NOTHING!  Three thousand rich white folks died in New York not too long ago, it didn't take five days for help to arrive, more like 5 minutes.

The major media wasn't talking about the fact that so many black folks, poor folks, and old folks were dying.  We need to be jumping up and down screaming bloody murder over this!  This is a problem that must be fixed.  And, unfortunately, the way that the American's think and act is that by next week they'll have forgotten and moved on to something else.  There's a reason why people say "Strike while the irons hot."  So yes, people need to be screaming about this now.

MSNBC, CNN, PBS, NBC, ABC, CBS, WB, Fox, Fox News and others have all had extensive coverage of the tragedy... MSNBC and CNN especially have had around the clock coverage of what's been going on, including pictures and footage of the dead, of rescue missions and of those at the superdome being interviewed among other things... The coverage has been massive and extensive... Most news programs have been devoted to the stories, and much of the remaing programs have devoted a considerable chunk of their airtime to the news stories coming from New Orlenes.

The federal government was ready for the hurricane... They were not ready for the flood. They did not anticipate the flood, and they should have. They were told that the levees would hold to a reasonable extent, but the engineers and technicians were wrong. They were caught off guard, but the blame doesn't fully lie on them. Chertoff himself has said that the collapse of the levee system was not anticipated.

Why is the government sending troops trained to kill? Because there are predators roaming around, shooting and raping people. Carjackings... houses being broken into and people being attacked... You can't save massive amounts of people when you're being shot at and violently harassed. It's hard to save people when you yourself are afraid for your life and there is a lack of law enforcement officials. The government is trying to reestablish order while they are trying to save lives.

hordes of young black men roaming the city...

After everythings back to normal again, I would like to see what information comes out about these "hordes." The media has a funny tendency to call two people a "horde". Perhaps it is really is a massive number of people out killing other people (as apposed to a few people killing people and massive numbers of people trying to find food and water), but I wouldn't be the least bit surprised if this news hasn't been just a bit exaggerated. Sensationalism sells.

I think I'm gonna speak my mind on this, I'm usually quiet when it comes to this stuff because it does get controversial with everyones different opinions. heres mine.

I think it is real devasting what had happened down there. Theres innocent people suffering (white/black..whoever). Its amazing what mother nature can do with this big hurricane but this big phenominal hurricane has been overshadowed now by making it seem like a war zone down there. I feel bad for the people, I really do but you know what? you can only feel bad so much because look, on radio, tv, newspapers, human communication..etc. they knew this was coming. Damn I mean come on! Its a CATERGORY 5 hurricane!!! A CAT 5 Hurricane is the strongest and deadliest storm known. And it was coming dead on! How dumb do you have to be to not evacuate. Like it completely mind boggles me on how all of these people didn't leave. If you are poor, you run for the high hills. Jump on a bus or whatever. You do what you gotta do. Carpool even. I'm sure there was plenty of people who were willing to pick up people. I'm sorry (and im gonna take some heat for this) but everyone who didnt evacuate are idiots. And then they have the nerve to critizce the government for not helping fast enough? I guess they dont understand that its a danger zone down there and its hard to bring supplies in especially with how high the water is now and all the damge. Come on. All of them should've helped themselves by leaving when they were told and/or when they heard about this hurricane. Plain and simple.

Now our own military is shooting at the people? I think its sad but then again I feel it is nessacary, those people are stealing/raping/looting..etc commiting crimes during times of need and struggle. How is that not wrong? There should be U.N.I.T.Y down there where everybody is helping each other and not being selfish and if everyone helped each other, then it would make things easier. And what the hell is with these people commiting crimes? They should be shot at. They have some nerve to do that.

Kanye West as much as I like his new album and his music, he's turning this into controversy thats unnessacary, its not about white or BLACK people. Who cares what the hell your race is, you help each other. I guess Kanye doesnt realize everything thats wrong. He's gotta bring racism into this then attack of president? Come on Kanye, get real. If only you understood whats right and wrong. Obviosuly you don't and its time for you to shut your mouth unless you know the difference. I like how your speaking up but what your saying isn't fully right.

You don't think Bush could've done more in 4 f****n' days? A lot of those people have nowhere to go 'cause they're poor, you can't leave if you don't have money, the gas prices are ridiculous right now. Come on now I'm sure Will feels the same way that Kanye does too since he stood up for Chuck D when he said "F*** Bush!" 15 years ago when the father was there and said that Chuck D was right in standing up the way the most of us blacks feel. There's always a few weirdos in the crowd but that doesn't mean you should stop trying to help the ones that weren't doing anything! This ain't a black or white issue, it's about all of us surviving, tell that to the media though and it's a different story. There might've been white ones shootin' too but they never show them, they only show the black people shootin', we're the thugs, but every race has thugs, they wanna make it look like blacks are the only ones, they put down Mike Tyson for being a rapist but Bill O'Reilly was charged with rape too but they don't talk about that anymore the way they do with Mike Tyson, this is a prejudice society we live in, they put down KRS-ONE for dropping out of high school and say he's ignorant 'cause of that but even Peter Jennings dropped out of high school and we didn't hear about it until his death, KRS is just as smart as Peter Jennings but they wanna make it look like he's an idiot, they act like black girls are the only ones that drop out of school and get pregnant but a lot of white girls drop out of school and get pregnant too, you don't realise all the stereotypes black people have, it's hard for us to get full acceptance in society no matter what we do, we all screw up but when a black person screws up we have to deal with it for the rest of our lives but when a white person screws up they get forgiven, it's not right, the media has too much stereotypes, it's like Elvis was a crack addict too who died of overdose but they don't talk about that the way they do when James Brown was caught with drugs almost 20 years ago, they still talk about that and only talk about Elvis is a musical genius and celebrate his birthday every damn year like a national holiday and don't give a damn about James Brown's birthday and he's still living, that's not what I call a fair society do you? :shrug:

Edited by bigted

MSNBC, CNN, PBS, NBC, ABC, CBS, WB, Fox, Fox News and others have all had extensive coverage of the tragedy...

My mistake, I wasn't clear with that statement. I was trying to say that what hasn't been significantly talked about is why it is that it just so happens that this disaster relief has been so, apparently, poor and the majority of the people who are in need of help are poor, black, and/or elderly.

The federal government was ready for the hurricane... They were not ready for the flood.

I'm not trying to blame the hurricane (or the flood) on the government. What I'm blaiming on the government is that relief was so pathetic. People where told to go to shelter points, some of which weren't appropriately stocked with supplies. People who managed to escape made it into other communities who are trying their best to help, but without FEMA support. That's the type of things that I'm blaming the government for.

Edited by Schnazz

Now I ain't saying he is the next 2pac, absoluetly not (there can only be one) but this way of always, always speeking his mind and trying to take the lead for his community reminds me of 2Pac.

If he wanted to take the lead for his community, he should have addressed the hordes of young black men roaming the city, raping girls, carjacking, shooting at rescue helicopters... (rescue helicopters!), shooting at people waiting to be rescued infront of the superdome including the sick and the elderly, shooting at people while they are being rescued, shooting at law enforcement, looting gun shops...

People involved in the rescue efforts have said that they are afraid for their lives and some have refused to go into the city because of the violence...

There are police officers that have turned in their badges saying that they've lost their homes, they don't want to lose their lives...

You want to address some issues, lets talk about all the issues... don't be myopic.

That shouldn't have stopped them from trying to help the people, a few people shoot at you and you go away from helping? People shoot at our troops all the time in Iraq but that doesn't stop us from helping their refugess does it? If you're just gonna be a pussy and go away and not try to help anymore nothin' will get done, they could've easily gone to a spot where they weren't shootin', they were still shootin' in some areas when Bush came in too but he stayed didn't he? Kanye could've said something like that too but he didn't have all day to speak you know!

We're talking about civilians trying to help people and being shot at... People passing out food and being assaulted. Kanye, address that. Others are addressing the racism but everyone seems to shy away from the issue of needless violence and assault.

Like it completely mind boggles me on how all of these people didn't leave.

In regards to some of the people trapped, I'm sure you're right. I'm sure some of them thought "oh well, I'll tough it out."

But man, people have an incrediblely diverse set of abilities. If ya have no car, and none of your friends have a car, I've heard that it can be kinda tough to out-run a hurricane. If you're 98 years old, never leave your house anyway, have to have your grocieries delivered, I can see why you may try to survive the storm and hope for the best. If you're just ignorant, maybe you really don't know any better... Let's say you do manage to have a means to get out of the danger area, but if you live in poverty, ya can't really afford a hotel. And if you have no friends or family outside of your area, where are you supposed to go?

I doubt all, what is it, 100,000? people trapped actually had no means to escape earlier. But I'm willing to bet that there are some that actually had no choice other then to hope for the best.

...but everyone seems to shy away from the issue of needless violence and assault.

The news doesn't seem to shy away from that at all.

They also don't seem to be shying away from the fact that the govenment has failed to provide adequate support for those who are still suffering.

They are doing their job; addressing all sides of the issue and asking the questions that need to be asked. The media has in no way given the government a free pass on their slowness in providing aid to those in Louisiana and especially New Orlenes.

Perhaps Kanye should follow the media's lead and address all sides of the story as well.

I agree that focus should be equal on all fronts of this, but people say don't make it about class, don't make it about race, and honestly it's hard not to, when majority, NOT ALL of the faces you're seeing are poor Afr. Americans, of course people are gonna be pissed, but i've been watching TV constantly and i've seen poor people white and black so yes race shouldn't be a huge focus b/c you know what? none of those people have ANYthing left regardless of race or class.

As far as the military on some part, yes it is necessary b/c the crime rate just skyrocketed, but for you to roll into town with guns drawn? damn, wait until you see somebody doing something first! i saw a man running down the damn street with a TV! a TV! there's no power, what the hell you doin' with a tv? but i saw a man stealing matresses for his family to sleep on b/c they'd been on the concrete for 4 days starving, watching people die, babies included, and i can't fault people for still being there, b/c 1. they weren't anticipating such a huge storm, 2. the weren't anticipating the break in the levee (the citizens @ least) 3. if you have no money, how the hell are you supposed to leave? it's not like they were chartering the public transportation buses or anything like that

as far as Bush yeah you can't blame it all on him, but i'm more upset by the time more than anything, i could care less whether or not he likes Black people, i have my own personal opinions of him, but it's hard to think of how serious he's taking things when Condeleeza Rice is on a f**king vacation! what is that?

anyway this could be an ongoing thing, but my point is that personally i wasn't trying to make it a "race thing" I'm pissed @ Bush for taking his time

Edited by willjadafan

You don't think Bush could've done more in 4 f****n' days? A lot of those people have nowhere to go 'cause they're poor, you can't leave if you don't have money, the gas prices are ridiculous right now. Come on now I'm sure Will feels the same way that Kanye does too since he stood up for Chuck D when he said "F*** Bush!" 15 years ago when the father was there and said that Chuck D was right in standing up the way the most of us blacks feel. There's always a few weirdos in the crowd but that doesn't mean you should stop trying to help the ones that weren't doing anything! This ain't a black or white issue, it's about all of us surviving, tell that to the media though and it's a different story. There might've been white ones shootin' too but they never show them, they only show the black people shootin', we're the thugs, but every race has thugs, they wanna make it look like blacks are the only ones, they put down Mike Tyson for being a rapist but Bill O'Reilly was charged with rape too but they don't talk about that anymore the way they do with Mike Tyson, this is a prejudice society we live in, they put down KRS-ONE for dropping out of high school and say he's ignorant 'cause of that but even Peter Jennings dropped out of high school and we didn't hear about it until his death, KRS is just as smart as Peter Jennings but they wanna make it look like he's an idiot, they act like black girls are the only ones that drop out of school and get pregnant but a lot of white girls drop out of school and get pregnant too, you don't realise all the stereotypes black people have, it's hard for us to get full acceptance in society no matter what we do, we all screw up but when a black person screws up we have to deal with it for the rest of our lives but when a white person screws up they get forgiven, it's not right, the media has too much stereotypes, it's like Elvis was a crack addict too who died of overdose but they don't talk about that the way they do when James Brown was caught with drugs almost 20 years ago, they still talk about that and only talk about Elvis is a musical genius and celebrate his birthday every damn year like a national holiday and don't give a damn about James Brown's birthday and he's still living, that's not what I call a fair society do you? :shrug:

Ted, when was Bill O'Reilly charged with rape.

...but everyone seems to shy away from the issue of needless violence and assault.

The news doesn't seem to shy away from that at all.

They also don't seem to be shying away from the fact that the govenment has failed to provide adequate support for those who are still suffering.

They are doing their job; addressing all sides of the issue and asking the questions that need to be asked. The media has in no way given the government a free pass on their slowness in providing aid to those in Louisiana and especially New Orlenes.

Perhaps Kanye should follow the media's lead and address all sides of the story as well.

I suppose that the coverage you get in Mass is very different the coverage I see in Indiana. Which could explain why we're on different sides on this. :) The coverage I see rarely asks any hard questions about why the response time for this group of people seems to be so much worse then the response time for other groups of people.