JJFP reunite for 50 years of Hip Hop December 10 ×
Jazzy Jeff & Fresh Prince Forum

Game changing albums

Schnazz

I ain't trying to be controversial, I'm just speakin' my mind here and I think Eminem is the Elvis Presley of our hip-hop generation, he's doing the same thing other black rappers did like 2Pac and Slick Rick did before him just like Elvis bit what Chuck Berry and James Brown did and gets more credit for it, this tells you about our society, the Beastie Boys are original, Eminem is not. btw, what came out 1st "Ain't Nothin' But A G Thing" or "Summertime"? "Homebase" and "Code Red" are just as dope as "The Chronic", it's just clean that's all, if you don't have a PA sticker on your album you're wack now. JJFP didn't only change the game they help create the game for what it is today, Jazzy's DJ'ing and producing and FP's rhyme skills make them the most unique individuals in hip-hop history, nobody can do what they do, they ain't easy to imitate, the shame is though that they're being forgotten 'cause of all this gangsta crap dominating, so it's even harder for Kurtis Blow and Sugarhill Gang to get props through today's commercial rap crowd so f*** the media.  I don't think there's nothin' left that could change the game now 'cause like the title of one of Nas' songs "No Idea's Original", hip-hop is lost.

I think there is some truth there, rap is the doo-wop of the "internet generation" (kids born 1985-1990) doo-dop was created, it got big, it dies out and in the 80's it came back but it just wasn't the same. then doo-wop died out until this day.

the same thing is with rap. in the 70's and 80's it started and got big and in the 90's it was still big but it sort of "died" out when we had the boy band fad, and rap came back but it isn't the same. now rap has to die out or something like that.

altought I think some records that changed the game were

JJFP- he's the DJ

1st rap grammy

wu tang-enter the wu-tang 36 chambers

wu tang has a damn mythology behind it (kung-fu movies,records,the wu-tang manual)

beastie boys-license to ill

1st white guys to really make it big

Michael Jackson-smooth criminal

michael actually has some kinda rap lyrics which alot of pop artists have used that style since.

kid 'n play-2 hype

they started to sample different types of music as opposed to others from that time.

Edited by sonic1988

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Hey Ted, how did JJ/FP change the game? I think that Raising Hell changed the game massively by dramatically increasing raps fan base and significantly raising the bar for production value. The Chronic did the same thing as well as spawned a massive wave of gangsta rap. When I originally said these two are two of the major game changers, they REALLY changed rap. JJ/FP won the first grammy, but do you think that had as significant of an impact? How else did they change rap?

Edit:

Not trying to jump on the contraversy band wagon, I'm just curious as to what your rational is. :)

Edited by Schnazz

I think there is some truth there, rap is the doo-wop of the "internet generation" (kids born 1985-1990) doo-dop was created, it got big, it dies out and in the 80's it came back but it just wasn't the same. then doo-wop died out until this day.

the same thing is with rap. in the 70's and 80's it started and got big and in the 90's it was still big but it sort of "died" out when we had the boy band fad, and rap came back but it isn't the same. now rap has to die out or something like that.

Maybe I just want rap to continue, but I'd compare it more to rock and roll. I think there's far more room for growth and diversity in rap then there is in doo-wop. Rock and roll was considered dead many times, yet it keeps getting revitalized. I think, hope, that rap is the same way.

Ted, i don't get why u have to make every discussion so controversial. why can't Eminem make a game changing album? did we say it had to change for the good? JJFP influenced hip-hop a lot but they didn't do one single album that totally changed the game.

let's try to define a game changing album..... it's an album that not only impacts the game (positively or negatively) but perhaps changes the standards of rap or opens new doors for future rappers

i believe Eminem's "Slim Shady LP" did change the game because 1) it was a white kid from Detroit making it as a rapper and 2) it was one of the first albums to talk about topics like raping your mom and just pure evil hate. like it or not, it changed the game because a lot of people were like "whoa a white dude said that" and a lot of white kids were thinkin they had a shot. not only that, it paved the way for people like 50 cent, g-unit and more to come in and talk about explict topics like they hadn't been talked about before. before Eminem came along, that would not have been thought of as being able to do that. that's why he changed the game (once again, not in a good way). i don't believe there are really too many game changing albums out there. i mean, sure there's a lot of stuff that impacts people but does it necessarily change the standards of the game? before NWA came out, no one would've thought of saying F--- the police. they changed the game, in addition to making an impact.

I ain't trying to be controversial, I'm just speakin' my mind here and I think Eminem is the Elvis Presley of our hip-hop generation, he's doing the same thing other black rappers did like 2Pac and Slick Rick did before him just like Elvis bit what Chuck Berry and James Brown did and gets more credit for it, this tells you about our society, the Beastie Boys are original, Eminem is not. btw, what came out 1st "Ain't Nothin' But A G Thing" or "Summertime"? "Homebase" and "Code Red" are just as dope as "The Chronic", it's just clean that's all, if you don't have a PA sticker on your album you're wack now. JJFP didn't only change the game they help create the game for what it is today, Jazzy's DJ'ing and producing and FP's rhyme skills make them the most unique individuals in hip-hop history, nobody can do what they do, they ain't easy to imitate, the shame is though that they're being forgotten 'cause of all this gangsta crap dominating, so it's even harder for Kurtis Blow and Sugarhill Gang to get props through today's commercial rap crowd so f*** the media. :stickpoke: I don't think there's nothin' left that could change the game now 'cause like the title of one of Nas' songs "No Idea's Original", hip-hop is lost. :shrug:

maybe u just don't get it. the topic is called Game changing albums. is Eminem creative? usually not. did he create a game changing album? yes. in order for albums to be game changing, they must be mainstream so that people will actually hear them and get influenced by them. can Code Red be a game changing album whether or not it deserves to be? no, because it only sold 200,000. i don't get why we can't just discuss what the topic is about, game changing albums. who cares if Eminem is not creative? we've said that a million times, but he did create a game changing album that helped steer rap in the direction it is now. if u can't admit that, then ur really living too much in the past man. i know mainstream sells.... commericial sucks.... trust me i only read it from u every day Ted. but we're in 2005, we're not in 1991, ok? i know hip-hop's originators have been 4gotten, it's like engraved in my brain reading it from u. will u admit that there have been newer rappers that have changed the game into what it is now? and that one of the people most responsible for that is Eminem? i think most people can.

Eminem does not have a Game Changing album. All he was was a popularity contest in hip hop. U can say, Em got in the game doing what nobody was doing at that particular time because that aspect of skill had faded away. He just did that, and in his own voice. Geez.

Ice Cube is a cool artist, but he didn't change the game. So he won a grammy for Amerikkka's Most. You guys are really trying to give too much credit. Maybe even play favorites.

The Fugees, as much as U may like them, they did not have a Game Changing album. The Score is a classic from them, no doubt, whether U happen to like it or not.

JJFP, now U can put them in there. "He's The DJ, I'm The Rapper" is very much a game changing album because it was the 1st so called "Double Album". They changed the way artists put out material. And probably how work ethic was looked at. And 2pac, well, he just carried that on because he felt he had to. And he did. Now people seem to be trying to do that for one reason only... 'Dead Presidents'

No doubt Game Changers that U Can Not Argue.

Paid In Full - Eric B + Rakim

Raising Hell - Run DMC

JJFP - He's The DJ...

The Chronic - Dr. Dre

and there's a few more that's been mentioned already that slip my mind.

And correct me if I'm wrong on this one, but why hasn't a female rap artist been mentioned in all this? U mean to tell me none of them did such a thing in the rap game, even if it was just for women only. No MC Lyte, Queen Latifah, etc.? I mean not even one? If that's the case, that'd probably be all it'd take for women to truly have a standing role in Hip Hop.

Yeah but that doesn`t changes The Game..Thta is maybe a comercial highlight and all that but it doesn`t changes the game in any way..

Sure it did! BIG, Nas, Jay....all them cats are dropping 2 disc albums these days! Not saying that He's The DJ....is a 2 disc album, but the songs on that cd could have been a 2 disc set!