JJFP reunite for 50 years of Hip Hop December 10 ×
Jazzy Jeff & Fresh Prince Forum

Game changing albums

Schnazz

Well the fact is that Will's a better songwriter than Eminem from the versatility in the topics of the songs he writes about is what makes his albums entertaining, each album has a different theme, Em sorta raps about the same things all the time he talked about before, it's nothin' new now although it wasn't groundbreaking in his prime either, Eminem is a freestyle rapper that writes complex rhymes, he ain't the first and the most effective to do that though either 'cause there are those like Rakim and Big Daddy Kane who can write great songs with their complex schemes I don't think they're quite as topical as Will is though, the thing is even though you're a great freestyler doesn't mean you could make great songs 'cause a lot of times Em overdoes it and the songs don't make sense, that's like sayin' if you're a singer you're gonna make the best album just 'cause you hit the most high notes, it takes more than just that, quality is worth more than quanity, it's better to spit 20 lines in one verse that make sense instead of spittin' a 50 line verse that doesn't make sense, I notice that too myself that my shorter songs I write now make more sense than the 5-page songs I used to write, I'd rather listen to a 3 minute song by Will instead of sitting through a boring 6-minute Eminem song, I feel the same way about Biggie's songs too, a lot of them sound annoying even though he has complex rhymes. Public Enemy's most known song "Fight The Power" and MC Hammer's most known song " U Can't Touch This" might have short verses but they're entertaining, I think the problem with hip-hop now is that everybody writes long verses but they're not entertaining, a lot of Slick Rick's verses are short too but his albums are like movies, you could close your eyes and see it unfold but you can't do that now with any popular album out now.

Edited by bigted

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

ted i want you in the chatt :)

Hey Lerk, I'm heading there now homie, next time pm me if u wanna holla at me, it makes it easier. btw, 2Pac is similar to Will in lyricism too, people hate on him 'cause he doesn't always have the most complex rhyme scheme but his songs have a lot of emotion that you can't deny. :stickpoke: btw Turntable, I do think Biggie's a legend for he's done to change the game but as my personal opinion I don't like his songs that much so I wasn't necessarily dissin' him.

Edited by bigted

I'm gonna say that Common's "Like Water For Chocolate" was one of the game changing albums in recent years, it's still his most successful album so I gotta make a case for this one, he brought a lot of soul there and his lyricism was top notch. Nas' "It Was Written" and "Stillmatic" both changed the game too, you could say "Illmatic" but it wasn't commercially successful.

How the hell did Common's album change the game?? I don't know man? That's something new for me....same thing with those Nas albums! It was Written is his like his worst album and Stillmatic didn't change anything! We are talking about albums that changed the game like "The Chronic", "Paid In Full" & "The Score"!

I don't see how Willennium and BWS changed the game tho! Only JJFP/WS album that changed the game in my opinon is He's The DJ, I"m The rapper!

The Beasty Boys-Hello Nasty

It was so fresh and all the way a good Album...I heard many Songs after that Album who where trying to copying that Style!

Oh yeah..My Signture..A lil Beastie Boys statement! :lolsign:

Turntable, I do think Biggie's a legend for he's done to change the game but as my personal opinion I don't like his songs that much so I wasn't necessarily dissin' him.

Thats ok man..I was just kidding!

Edited by Turntable

Well this what I think is the best verse on Eminem's "Slim Shady LP" from the song "Role Model", in my opinion it still doesn't outwit what Will has done, I think Will's verse on "Uhhh" is more on point than this so "Willenium" is better than "Slim Shady LP", checkmate! :stickpoke: :

"Mic check one two.. we recordin?

I'm cancerous, so when I diss you wouldn't wanna answer this

If you responded back with a battle rap you wrote for Canibus

I strangled you to death then I choked you again

Then break your ****in legs till your bones poke through your skin

You beef wit me, I'ma even the score equally

Take you on Jerry Springer, and beat yer ass legally

I get you blunted off of funny home grown

Cause when I smoke out I hit the trees harder than Sonny Bono

(Ohh no!!) So if I said I never did drugs

That would mean I lie AND get ****ed more than the President does

Hillary Clinton tried to slap me and call me a pervert

I ripped her ****in tonsils out and fed her sherbet (Bitch!)

My nerves hurt, and lately I'm on edge

Grabbed Vanilla Ice and ripped out his blonde dreads (**** you!)

Every girl I ever went out wit is goin lez

Follow me and do exactly what the song says:

smoke weed, take pills, drop outta school, kill people and drink

And jump behind the wheel like it was still legal

I'm dumb enough to walk in a store and steal

So I'm dumb enough to ask for a date with Lauryn Hill

Some people only see that I'm white, ignorin skill

Cause I stand out like a green hat with a orange bill

But I don't get pissed, y'all don't even see through the mist

How the **** can I be white, I don't even exist

I get a clean shave, bathe, go to a rave

Die from an overdose and dig myself up out of my grave

My middle finger won't go down, how do I wave?

And this is how I'm supposed to teach kids how to behave?"

Now here's "Uhhh" and see the difference of how a legend rips punchlines:

"Been to the mountain top

Down to the valley

Philedelph to Cali

Y'all feel me like Harry felt Sally

Clothes exotic, flows erotic

No jewels that's for them fools who ain't got it

Rap to my own sitcom

Now I just sit calm

Watching y'all respond to my July 4th bomb (boom!)

Yeah I'm a nice kid

But here's some advice kid

Don't get me hyped

I'll set it off like my wife did

Playing down a path like Sajak

Wheel of a Fortune away

Price ain't right I don't play

Find yourself in Jeopardy

The first clue

What is Will Smith?

Hot to death not you

I'm like a Porsche, you a pinto

You like a tiny figurine, I'm monumental

You're like a small get together

On your neighbor's back porch

You know just a couple of y'all

I'm a million man march

Attack of the man in black

Like Jordan playing on a train

Yo my game on track

Mad ice for my wife

No care for what it costed

Had to ease up though

Her wrist got frost bit

My style, flava, delivery, my diction

Gettin' medieval like dude in Pulp Fiction

You want some bring it

Come one, come all, come in

Watch me take they heart away like Penny

I could take 12 rappers and put em' in line

Then 12 emcees that think they can rhyme

Then 12 more brothers that still ain't signed

Then don't do nothing just watch 'em decline

Gangsta hardcore, menace to society

Raps all the same

My pen spits variety

Eclecticism is a virtue

It may not be a word

But it's definitely a virtue

Rappers approaching me all across America

Believe me you don't wanna battle like Erykah

I was in the game before publishing was an issue

You're platinum now but next year I'm gonna miss you

Mad rappers like bad actors should have no parts

Wanna be mad check the charts any of them

Oh you don't see my name

You don't see my spot

Here's a hint

Look closer to the top"

Now somebody post a verse from the "Blueprint" album from Jay-Z with more punchlines than this, not many of these mcs today have more wit than FP! :chuks:

Edited by bigted

maybe i'm just drawing a blank or i really don't know, but can someone please tell me who made "The Score"?

oh yeah and u guys are really gettin carried away now.... we're talking game changing albums here. truthfully, i don't think any of JJFP's albums were game changing. Paid in Full, The Chronic, Straight Outta Compton are a few popular ones. i also think "2Pacalypse Now" was a game changing album. it kinda mixed the political concious rap of PE with the thug and street of NWA.

Edited by reborn2reign

Who won the 1st rap Grammy? :stickpoke:

"1st ever rap Grammy

Let me show the only reason yo ass went to "Miami"

Well maybe if more cats were influenced by JJFP the rap game would be better right now, instead of having all these 2Pac wannabes, if it wasn't for JJFP though none of these rappers today would be having the success they have, people are ignorant of the history, most of these albums y'all mentioned like "Slim Shady LP" and "Blueprint" shouldn't be mentioned either if JJFP shouldn't be, well since Interscope's not giving "Lost and Found" good promotion, it won't impact the industry either while people'll say 50 Cent is the groundbreaking rapper. :shrug: How the **** can you sell 30 million albums and not impact the industry? Most of the times to impact the industry you have to sell millions but sometimes not, I can't believe none of y'all mentioned Ice Cube's "Amerikka's Most Wanted" or Tribe Called Quest's "Low End Theory" either they didn't put up MC Hammer numbers but they impacted the commercial rap game a lot during that time too. I thought impacting the industry is what this is about in the topic, not about who got the most street cred for getting shot 9 times and selling drugs when they were growing up or having the most complex rhymes that don't make sense half the time, if it was then we'd mention Jay-Z, 50 Cent, and Eminem, like I said before DMX was the one that brought back the hardcore lyricism in the late 90s, not Eminem 'cause he came out 1st, he could outflow Em anyday, in fact I think he's the only commercial rapper in recent years with a flow the closest to Will's, as much as I like Nas I have to admit that DMX even kills him when it comes to emotion since Nas is too laid back most of the time, if you don't believe me listen to tracks like "Rough Ryders Anthem" and "Who We Be", he's the only rapper out there with such an aggressive flow, it cuts through you like a knife, I hope he outsells Kanye when his album comes out.

Edited by bigted

Ted, i don't get why u have to make every discussion so controversial. why can't Eminem make a game changing album? did we say it had to change for the good? JJFP influenced hip-hop a lot but they didn't do one single album that totally changed the game.

let's try to define a game changing album..... it's an album that not only impacts the game (positively or negatively) but perhaps changes the standards of rap or opens new doors for future rappers

i believe Eminem's "Slim Shady LP" did change the game because 1) it was a white kid from Detroit making it as a rapper and 2) it was one of the first albums to talk about topics like raping your mom and just pure evil hate. like it or not, it changed the game because a lot of people were like "whoa a white dude said that" and a lot of white kids were thinkin they had a shot. not only that, it paved the way for people like 50 cent, g-unit and more to come in and talk about explict topics like they hadn't been talked about before. before Eminem came along, that would not have been thought of as being able to do that. that's why he changed the game (once again, not in a good way). i don't believe there are really too many game changing albums out there. i mean, sure there's a lot of stuff that impacts people but does it necessarily change the standards of the game? before NWA came out, no one would've thought of saying F--- the police. they changed the game, in addition to making an impact.

Edited by reborn2reign

Ted, i don't get why u have to make every discussion so controversial. why can't Eminem make a game changing album? did we say it had to change for the good? JJFP influenced hip-hop a lot but they didn't do one single album that totally changed the game.

let's try to define a game changing album..... it's an album that not only impacts the game (positively or negatively) but perhaps changes the standards of rap or opens new doors for future rappers

i believe Eminem's "Slim Shady LP" did change the game because 1) it was a white kid from Detroit making it as a rapper and 2) it was one of the first albums to talk about topics like raping your mom and just pure evil hate. like it or not, it changed the game because a lot of people were like "whoa a white dude said that" and a lot of white kids were thinkin they had a shot. not only that, it paved the way for people like 50 cent, g-unit and more to come in and talk about explict topics like they hadn't been talked about before. before Eminem came along, that would not have been thought of as being able to do that. that's why he changed the game (once again, not in a good way). i don't believe there are really too many game changing albums out there. i mean, sure there's a lot of stuff that impacts people but does it necessarily change the standards of the game? before NWA came out, no one would've thought of saying F--- the police. they changed the game, in addition to making an impact.

I ain't trying to be controversial, I'm just speakin' my mind here and I think Eminem is the Elvis Presley of our hip-hop generation, he's doing the same thing other black rappers did like 2Pac and Slick Rick did before him just like Elvis bit what Chuck Berry and James Brown did and gets more credit for it, this tells you about our society, the Beastie Boys are original, Eminem is not. btw, what came out 1st "Ain't Nothin' But A G Thing" or "Summertime"? "Homebase" and "Code Red" are just as dope as "The Chronic", it's just clean that's all, if you don't have a PA sticker on your album you're wack now. JJFP didn't only change the game they help create the game for what it is today, Jazzy's DJ'ing and producing and FP's rhyme skills make them the most unique individuals in hip-hop history, nobody can do what they do, they ain't easy to imitate, the shame is though that they're being forgotten 'cause of all this gangsta crap dominating, so it's even harder for Kurtis Blow and Sugarhill Gang to get props through today's commercial rap crowd so f*** the media. :stickpoke: I don't think there's nothin' left that could change the game now 'cause like the title of one of Nas' songs "No Idea's Original", hip-hop is lost. :shrug: