Jazzy Jeff & Fresh Prince Forum

Game changing albums

Schnazz

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Why do you all (especaly Ted) forget about The Wutang Clan`s Enter The Wutang? :shake:  :lolsign:

Maybe 'cause I ain't that much into Wu-Tang, I never heard that album but I got "Wu-Tang Forever" that I play once in a while, Wu-Tang are legends, I gotta give them props for that but they ain't my favorites. Well if you're looking for albums that're changing the game now, don't look at the charts 'cause it ain't like Eminem, 50 Cent, Kanye West, or Black Eyed Peas are changing the game! :stickpoke: LL's "The G.O.A.T." did change the game 'cause it got LL's street cred back and knocked Cannibus out of the game, I take that album over "Marshall Mathers LP" or anything else that sold more that time, Cannibus' now just an average underground rapper, I like underground hip-hop but I don't think he really stands out even there, even his fans say that his albums suck now, Aceyalone and MF Doom could roast him. I think "Lost and Found" will be an album people look back on years from now and see was ahead of its time even if it doesn't sell as much as Kanye West or 50 Cent, let's keep it real an album selling 30,000 can't change the game, you have to have at least a few hundred thousand fans listen to you.

Edited by bigted

36 Chambers - Actually; RZA started the soulsample/pitched soulvoices era. Kanye just renewed it and made it better.

No way!Kanye never doe`s it better than RZA!

RZA`s beats are so complex..I think he maybe is still one of the Best Producers ever and people should give him more Probs!

Kanye`s beats are more comercial so thay may sound to some people better..

@ Ted: I`m not shure about the G.O.A.T..It was definitly a Hot Album!

@ Reborn: Haha :lolsign:

Edited by Turntable

That's what's wrong with the game, they should be recognizing Slick Rick and Rakim, not Eminem. Also, without JJFP, there is no Eminem.

That's what's wrong with the game, they should be recognizing Slick Rick and Rakim, not Eminem.  Also, without JJFP, there is no Eminem.

:word: Eminem's not the originator, he's doing the same thing Rakim, JJFP, and Slick Rick have done but not quite on that level, nobody could really change the game now 'cause everybody's doing the same things already, I like RZA's tracks that I've heard more than Kanye's too. Yeah to say "The G.O.A.T." and "Lost and Found" are changing the game might be a stretch and a personal bias since they're my favorite albums, but I'll definately say they kept the game alive more than the higher selling ones recently have, there ain't that much out there with high quality skills, the rappers that sell a lot with just some skills get the most recognition and that's wrong when there's rappers that sell less that have more skills.

Wow, this is turning into a great discussion!

Ya'll are mentioning a bunch of great discs....

All Eyez On Me - I don't really see this one as changing the industry, more of just a continuation/evolution of The Chronic and gangsta rap in general.

Fear Of A Black Planet and Criminal Minded - These two albums went in the direction of thought-provoking rap and sharp, intelligent lyrics. I believe Criminal Minded predated Fear Of A Black Planet, and in my view it's better, but I'd say that P.E.'s joint was more important. While BDP really put thought provoking rap on the map, it didn't really cause a lot of change (many people biting it). P.E. though, that really shook things up.

The Slim Shady LP - Yea, I think this shook things up a lot. It was the first main-stream push of lyrical content in years. (pushing it towards more brash) It was making this same push while becoming a HUGE success.

Kurtis Blow - That man's a genius. Probably as much the cause of making rap a national craze as Sugar Hill Gang.

The Score - Brilliant album, one of my all time favorites, but I don't really think it really changed hip-hop (which is a shame). After that hit, you didn't really get a big influx of music fusing reggae, rap, and killer vocals. Sure, it could be argued that it paved the way for people like Mary J Blige (vocals) or Shaggy (reggae), but the complete fusion with depth of lyrics didn't really get duplicated.

Any album by Jay Z - He's the most over rated, non-talented pop rapper today. Dude needs to stop braggen about being a great freestyler and start taking time to write decent lyrics. But then again, many I'm just getting old and cranky. :)

Well if you put it that way Eminem was a step above most commercial rappers out on the scene at that time but there some that were slept on then that could challenge Em, he has since fallen off from that and now mostly everybody's better than him.

Ok....I gotta a question. I'm talking purely technical here.....not personal preference. Do u think that Will Smith has a more complicated rhyme scheme and metaphor use than Em. And I'm talking about the old one, not from 'The Eminem Show' onwards.

You guys know how much of a fan I am of JJFP but I think you'd be playing yourselves if you agree otherwise! :willvspaparazzi:

I don't really think of Will as much of a user of metaphors, more of a story teller and party starter (mmm, punny) type of rapper. So ya, I think em does better in that catagory.

Rhyme scheme? Prior to L&F I would have given it to em, but Will's technique got seriously pushed on that disc.

Ok....I gotta a question.  I'm talking purely technical here.....not personal preference.  Do u think that Will Smith has a more complicated rhyme scheme and metaphor use than Em.  And I'm talking about the old one, not from 'The Eminem Show' onwards.

You guys know how much of a fan I am of JJFP but I think you'd be playing yourselves if you agree otherwise!  :willvspaparazzi:

I do think Will has more of a technical scheme than Em and in fact I don't think "Lost and Found" resembles that the best(even though it's still better than Em's crap lyrics now), I'd say Will raps with more emotions on that album but some of the rhymes are kinda short but the feelin' behind the rhyme makes it sound more enormous, I'd say "Willenium"/"Code Red"/"He's The DJ, I'm The Rapper"/ and even "Big Willie Style" albums resemble his lyricism the best, now does Em have a better verse with more punchlines than this one?:

"We've won so many battles, people think it's a trick

That when the crowd gets to judge it's US that they'll pick

They see Ready's face and then they hear my voice

To choose us as the winners is the natural choice

Because battle after battle we remain on top

Cause it's not the way we look, it's the way that we rock

So if you thought you wanted to battle, bust this rhyme

Just keep it and I'm sure that I can change your mind

There was ten wack dudes trying to play high post

One crew got bold and they began to boast

But said, Y'all shut up and get back in line

But they refused (what happened now) So now there's nine

Nine wack crews tryin to rock like this

They were bitin my rhymes and just couldn't resist

I said please stop bitin, please don't imitate

But they kept on bitin, so there's now there's eight

Eight wack crews poppin big time trash

Telling us that in a battle we can't last

The battle started at 10:30 and by quarter of eleven was no longer eight crews (how many was their)

There was seven

Seven wack cruise in a football huddle

Trying to figure out their next rebuttal

They came out strong you'd think their The Ultimate but we just dissed em and dismissed, so now there's six

Six wack groups, tryin to be tough

Who the hell told em they could rock the mic like us

We got straight down the business didn't pop no jive

We just blew em out, so now there's five

Five wack crews lined up in the hallway

All perpetrating like they're read to play

My secretary walked out, she asked for one more

They got scared, and left, so now there's four

Four wack crews outside playing around

I said I'll take you wall on, now how does that sound?

Not one had heart enough to pick up that mic

I said, okay I'll let you go, psych

That's the moral, of this story

Never try to take me and Ready Rock's glory

Cause if you do your future looks muddy

Cause you just can't beat me and my buddy"

Edited by bigted

Pushed but does not supercede Ems. Remember I'm talking purely technical here

Well Eminem might be able to write more complex verses at times than Will but I don't think he could rap with the emotion of the flow that Will has, it takes more than just being able to write complex verses as an mc, Will could easily outperform him too, Eminem gets booed offstage a lot, Em sounds annoying half the time his rhymes could be complex but he says a lot of corny lines in between them that makes it sound ignorant at times Will's rhymes could be simple but they stay effective and to the point, Run-Dmc and Public Enemy might not be the greatest lyrical writers either but the emotion they put behind their songs can't be matched by today's mcs, I do think though Will's skills have evolved more than a lot of ol' school rappers have from then till now, the one rapper though from the ol' school that I'd say would be able to challenge Eminem lyrical scheme is Rakim, he's the total package, his verses are always on point and his flow is remarkable, take this verse from "Check My Melody":

"So what if I'm a microphone fiend addicted soon as I sing

One of these for MC's so they don't have to scream

I couldn't wait to take the mic, flow into it to test

Then let my melody play, and then the record suggest

That I'm droppin bombs, but I stay peace and calm

Any MC that disagree with me just wave your arm

And I'll break, when I'm through breakin I'll leave you broke

Drop the mic when I'm finished and watch it smoke

So stand back, you wanna rap? All of that can wait

I won't push, I won't beat around the bush

I wanna break upon those who are not supposed to

You might try but you can't get close to

Because I'm number one, competition is none

I'm measured with the heat that's made by sun

Whether playin ball or bobbin in the hall

I just writin my name in graffiti on the wall

You shouldn't have told me you said you control me

So now a contest is what you owe me

Pull out your money, pull out your cut

Pull up a chair, and I'ma tear **** up

My name is Rakim Allah, and R & A stands for "Ra"

Switch it around, but still comes out "R"

So easily will I e-m-c-e-e

My repetition of words is "check out my melody"

Some bass and treble is moist, scratchin and cuttin a voice

And when it's mine that's when the rhyme is always choice

I wouldn't have came to ?set? my name ?around the? same weak ****

Puttin blurs and slurs and words that don't fit

In a rhyme, why waste time on the microphone

I take this more serious than just a poem

Rockin party to party, backyard to yard

Now tear it up, y'all, and bless the mic for the gods"

btw, what does rhyme scheme have to do with Game changing albums? Rakim's songs are entertaining beyond just the rhyme scheme, Eminem only has a rhyme scheme but that doesn't make him a great entertainer, I could write better rhymes than Will too but if I can't flow that well I won't be able to be as successful as him. I think Will's albums are more entertaining than Eminem's albums and that's the bottomline, you have to be able to enjoy the songs and that's what makes an album great.

Edited by bigted

btw, what does rhyme scheme have to do with Game changing albums? 

There's a bunch of skills that go into how good a rapper is. Lyrical content, wit, emotion, rhythm, delivery, voice, etc... The ability to create interesting rhyme schemes is one of these skills. The game changing albums tend to be by artists with great skills in a lot of these areas and take one of the areas to a new level. Often it's lyrical content, but it doesn't have to be.

Edited by Schnazz

You guys are going into a skill debate. Game changing albums. IN other words, an album. Just an album. Not everything else envolved around the artist. Albums that "changed the game". Either brought in something new or brought something old back. It's 1991, and things are this way. 1992- Dre's Chronic comes out and things change.

And now that I think about, Eminem did not change the game. He did stuff that nobody else's even tried to do there after his albums. He invented buttons that people didn't want to be pressed. So as far as Em bring the multi-rhyme rap back that some tried to do again, that did not happen. He just did it and nobody else. So he's not "Game Changing".