JJFP reunite for 50 years of Hip Hop December 10 ×
Jazzy Jeff & Fresh Prince Forum

Game changing albums

Schnazz

What albums do ya'll think truely, massively changed the rap industry? The types of albums that are extreamly rare and once they hit, rap can't go back to the way it was before. Two that I can think of are:

Run-DMC - Raising Hell

Dr. Dre - The Chronic

What do ya'll think?

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

i want 2 say Public Enemy's Fear of the Black Planet, I really love 911 is a Joke. But it was true. I love the hardcoreness of Chuck D and humor of Flavor Flav. And I would like to say JJFP Homebase. Cos well it proved that in spite of all this so called gangsta rap there is room 4 lite heartness, fun and thought provoking tracks. i TOTALLY 4GOT ABOUT THE ROOTS albums but I really like Illadelph Halflife

Thats just me.

:angelamor:

Edited by Angel Amor

I know people gonna hate on this...but I say "The Blueprint" by Jay-z! Not for the lyrics but for the beats! That album made Kanye West and those soul samples huge! Now everybody want's a Kanye West or a soul beat on their album! So that album in my eyes changed the game!

Wutang Clan-Eneter The Wutang (36 Chambers)

That is i think maybe one of the best Hip Hop Albums ever made!

It was/is so raw..It definitly chnaged alot!

LL Cool J-Radio

He came up with that as an 16 year old Boy and he rocked the Mic like no one before..

Eric B. And Rakim-Paid In Full

If you think Nas or Talib kwelir or someone like that has the beste lyrics than listen to Rakim and you will see who is learned them!

Beastie Boys-Licensed To Ill

Just listen to it and you know why..

N.W.A-Straight Outta Compton (!)

We all know why lol

LL Cool J-Mama Said Knock You Out

It was waht depne the Beats something fresh..And you can`t top the Song "Mama said knock you out" lol

Jigga-The Blueprint

Same reason as above..

Ok those are just some of them..I`m to lazy to think right now!

Somethintg new:

Boyz N Da Hood Album changed the Crunk Scene forgood cause it was in my opinion the only fresh and good one but who cares about crunk anyway :lolsign:

Edited by Turntable

I think The Slim Shady LP changed a few things as well. I reckon a lot of (not all) rappers realised that they can't just come out with these simple one rhyme lyrics. They realised that people, like Em were spitting complex rhyme patterns and clever metaphors, so therefore they had to up their game.

How could you talk about complex rhymes and not talk about Eric B. and Rakim's "Paid In Full"? Listen to that album right now at this moment and it's better than mostly anything out still, it was ahead of its time. Rakim was the originator of this and this is the guy who Eminem and Nas looked up to for complex rhymes, he's made the most impact more than any other mc with that album. Slick Rick's "The Great Adventures Of Slick Rick" motivated mcs to make storytellin' lyrics, Slick Rick is the original storyteller no doubt. Jazzy Jeff and Fresh Prince's "He's The DJ, I'm The Rapper" was hip-hop's 1st double LP, half of the album was Will rippin' the mic and the other half was Jazzy on the wheels, this album changed the game and was the reason why JJFP are legends, this is personally the best JJFP album hands down. DMX' "It's Dark And Hell Is Hot" put NY hip-hop and Def Jam back on the map again, he had the game on lock when he came in '98 after spittin' that dope verse on LL's "4,3,2,1" bringin' hardcore lyricism back to the game when bling-bling was dominating, the first installment of 5 consective DMX albums to go #1 on the charts, now imagine if Cannibus was smart like him and never battled LL, he'd probably had the same opportunity that DMX had to blow his career up but now he's only known as the guy who battled LL.

But Em is more commercially viable than rakim and slick rick.  Therefore causing more people to stand up and notice.

They were 2 of the 1st platinum rappers, if they didn't have success Eminem wouldn't blow up, gotta pay respect to those who opened the doors and were the originators, you know Em musta studied those albums along with "He's The DJ, I'm The Rapper" :lolsign: . That "Slim Shady LP" was probably Em's best commercial effort but I wouldn't call it game changing either, I don't think people are gonna say that it is years later like they do with "Paid In Full". Beastie Boys' "Licensed To Ill" also changed the game since they were the 1st rap artists to have a triple platinum LP, the 1st white rap artists to blow up commercially, it had a unique punk rock/rap sound to it that was never done before. BDP's "Criminal Minded" was KRS-ONE's most known album, his only platinum album, it was co-produced by the late great Scott LaRock, they put political minded hip-hop on the map. A few more game changing albums I say would be Fugees' "The Score", Wyclef's "The Carnival", and Lauryn Hill's "Miseducation Of Lauryn Hill", these were the albums that were an alternative to the gangsta rap in the mid-90s and brought back hip-hop versatility. Queen Latifah's "Black Reign" was the most successful album by any female rapper and the way she flowed on that album showed that she's one of the greatest rappers ever, male or female. Dr. Dre's "The Chronic" changed the game, maybe for the worst some might say, but regardless was artistic genious, a lot of gangsta rap artists came along since tryin' to immitate that but can't put up the genius that Dre did there. Now as far as Jay-Z, I think "Blueprint" is a lil' overrated, I think his best commercial effort was "Volume 2: Hard Knock Life", that's the album I'd say is his best after "Reasonable Doubt", this is when Jay-Z was on top of his game in my opinion, so many different styles on that album. I'm gonna say that Common's "Like Water For Chocolate" was one of the game changing albums in recent years, it's still his most successful album so I gotta make a case for this one, he brought a lot of soul there and his lyricism was top notch. Nas' "It Was Written" and "Stillmatic" both changed the game too, you could say "Illmatic" but it wasn't commercially successful.

Edited by bigted

But Em is more commercially viable than rakim and slick rick.  Therefore causing more people to stand up and notice.

They were 2 of the 1st platinum rappers, if they didn't have success Eminem wouldn't blow up, gotta pay respect to those who opened the doors and were the originators, you know Em musta studied those albums along with "He's The DJ, I'm The Rapper" :lolsign: . That "Slim Shady LP" was probably Em's best commercial effort but I wouldn't call it game changing either, I don't think people are gonna say that it is years later like they do with "Paid In Full". Beastie Boys' "Licensed To Ill" also changed the game since they were the 1st rap artists to have a triple platinum LP, the 1st white rap artists to blow up commercially, it had a unique punk rock/rap sound to it that was never done before. BDP's "Criminal Minded" was KRS-ONE's most known album, his only platinum album, it was co-produced by the late great Scott LaRock, they put political minded hip-hop on the map. A few more game changing albums I say would be Fugees' "The Score", Wyclef's "The Carnival", and Lauryn Hill's "Miseducation Of Lauryn Hill", these were the albums that were an alternative to the gangsta rap in the mid-90s and brought back hip-hop versatility. Queen Latifah's "Black Reign" was the most successful album by any female rapper and the way she flowed on that album showed that she's one of the greatest rappers ever, male or female. Dr. Dre's "The Chronic" changed the game, maybe for the worst some might say, but regardless was artistic genious, a lot of gangsta rap artists came along since tryin' to immitate that but can't put up the genius that Dre did there. Now as far as Jay-Z, I think "Blueprint" is a lil' overrated, I think his best commercial effort was "Volume 2: Hard Knock Life", that's the album I'd say is his best after "Reasonable Doubt", this is when Jay-Z was on top of his game in my opinion, so many different styles on that album. I'm gonna say that Common's "Like Water For Chocolate" was one of the game changing albums in recent years, it's still his most successful album so I gotta make a case for this one, he brought a lot of soul there and his lyricism was top notch. Nas' "It Was Written" and "Stillmatic" both changed the game too, you could say "Illmatic" but it wasn't commercially successful.

I'm not denying that Ted, but who do you seriously think the people of today would know more and be more familiar with the works of?? Em or Slick rick/rakim?? :stickpoke:

Don't forget...

JJ+FP - He's The DJ, I'm The Rapper

WILL SMITH - Big Willie Style

---

MC HAMMER - Please Hammer, Don't Hurt 'Em

DAS EFX - Dead Serious (everybody jacked their "diggity" style)

THE FUGEES - The Score

Paid In Full - His flow was groundbreaking

Raising Hell

Fear Of A Black Planet

All Eyez On Me

The Chronic - the beats and gangsta vibe started it.

36 Chambers - Actually; RZA started the soulsample/pitched soulvoices era. Kanye just renewed it and made it better.

Resurrection - One of the best music albums ever.

there's alot more lika illmatic, reasonable doubt and KRS albums and more.

I know people gonna hate on this...but I say "The Blueprint" by Jay-z! Not for the lyrics but for the beats! That album made Kanye West and those soul samples huge! Now everybody want's a Kanye West or a soul beat on their album! So that album in my eyes changed the game!

I'm not sure if that's accurate to say entirely, but your right. About have of that cd was K.West's beats and most of the tracks were hits or had major credibilty in the street. Takeover, Girls, Izzo (HOVA), The Heart of the City.

Nas's Illmatic, I wouldn't say is a "Game Changing" album. It's just a classic for Nas. None of Nas's album are game changers. They are just career recognition. And we're talking strictly the albums, not the artist themselves.

Em's first album was enuff for the game to change. Brakes wasn't saying that Em's style made rappers bring better game because he invented it. He just brought it back around and if not that, at least made it noticeable again.

We're on "Game Changing" albums. Not stuff that sold like crazy.