JJFP reunite for 50 years of Hip Hop December 10 ×
Jazzy Jeff & Fresh Prince Forum

"Don't Say Nothing" Appreciation Thread

MaxFly

Personally, this is one of my all-time favorites... top 10.

The scratching at the beginning was the first thing to hook me. I used to walk to the bus stop for school and just play the beginning of the track the whole way. It got too the point that I burned a goove in that part of the CD... and it stopped working after awile.

The part that really use to have me skipping back was when the beat kicked in during the scratching with what I used to call "The Bell." I'd sometimes play it just to hear the beak kick in...

And then I got to the lyrics...

From the very beginning

Take your place, allow me to felx a taste

It was over...

Almost every lyric, every word was and still is fire...

I know ya'll still feel me

Really don't act silly

Thought I fell off just because I left Philly

Took a break from the rap thing

Went on hiatus

Picked up the art of acting and multiplied paper...

No, rapper has ever expressed the crossover from rapping to acting better than that.

-----

Jealosy swinging on me made it's attack

'He's soft. He's wack, man that ain't real rap.'

You believe that!

It hurt me at first, but it's cool

Took the insults

Fed them to my ego, used it for fuel

I think that's the main theme of the song right there. Without saying anything more... that's what makes the track one of my favorites...

There's obviously a lot more to say, but what are your thoughts on the track?

:iagree: It's one of the best tracks aimed at haters that any mc has ever done, this displays Will's skills as an all-time great lyricist.

Dope track, probably could have fitted on L&F well. Funnily enough, I was listening to it about 10 minutes ago in the shower. Jeff and Will were dope on this track...

really huh? you sure you don't mean you were just watching it on ur computer screen Jonny? :lol:

well anyways, it's a dope track. i've realized from Max's post that it is such a great track. i think i've underrated this track before. when u think about it, the beat is great, the scratching fits perfect, and the lyrics are tight. and not only that, the subject is about Will tellin the haterz whats up. i think i've been underestimating this track. i need to listen to it more and gain a full appreciation of it