JJFP reunite for 50 years of Hip Hop December 10 ×
Jazzy Jeff & Fresh Prince Forum

Outside The Lines

mfuqua23

This morning I was watchin ESPN Outside The Lines. It was about how basketball is dominanted by blacks. They made references to hip hop also. One guy said that the perception of the game has changed. Guys will pose, scream, point to the camera. Just like hip hop is dominanted by blacks, so is basketball. There R all kinds of activities that R dominanted by one race.

There was this high school kid from Staton Island, who wants to beat the odds. He said a lot of his friends take up other sports because they feel there's no hope in basketball. That recruiters won't look at them. Their coach said its the work ethic. They get distracted more easily and don't put in the time. The kid, who's name I 4get, puts in 5-6 hrs almost everyday in the gym. He applies to the term "Gym Rat".

They looked at the NBA back then, when Bird and Stockton was around; and the NBA now. SHoe endorsements happened once BIrd's career was winding down. So he never got the opportunity. Jordan opened the doors for that. Bird said he got offended when he would be guarded by a white guy. He was in a way making a joke.

There's this one kid from CA, who's a center from high school, and is gonna enter the pros. They also said that only 13% of the NBA is White American. Actually I think WHite in general. A lot of the white guys, R from other countries.

I'm not to sure what 2 make of this topic myself. There R people that said there's always gonna be change. But does changes include some bein bad? I don't think they should. I thought this would be a really good topic 2 discuss wit y'all.

:werd: That's an interesting topic, it'd be hard to believe that when the history of the NBA started there weren't any blacks in it because of racism, but now there's more black than whites but I would have to believe that it's because maybe there's less interest in white guys playing basketball than years ago, a lot just want to be fans of basketball and play baseball or hockey instead. On occasions if I watch a WNBA game, I see that there's as many white women as there is black women playing so I don't think there's racism, it comes down to interest. There could be more black guys in MLB and NHL if more blacks were interested in playing and there could be more white guys in the NBA if more white guy were interested in playing. I don't understand why people gotta make race such a big issue, even in hip-hop too, if you have skills you should be judged for that only, not by what color you are, Larry Bird made a stupid statement on ESPN saying that more white people would be watching basketball if more white guys were playing! :cussing: Damn, I'm black but I'll watch hockey 'cause I like the sport and I don't care if there's less blacks than whites I just want to see a good game. Back when Larry Bird was playing less players were getting endorsements because MJ was dominating and receiving most of the hype, if he played better he would have gotten the endorsements, he's a player hater that should keep his mouth shut! :nhawong: Edited by bigted