JJFP reunite for 50 years of Hip Hop December 10 ×
Jazzy Jeff & Fresh Prince Forum

"Pursuit of Happyness"

bigwillfan

a message from a film blog that kinda made me laugh:

source: http://www.sbiff.org/blog/2006/10/blissful-pursuit.htm

can't wait for his "at length" piece

also from that blog, something else to look forward to

On January 27th, Will Smith, formerly the Fresh Prince of Bel Air, will be crowned the 2007 Modern Master of the Santa Barbara International Film Festival.

Edited by MissAshley

• Replies 443
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Well thats right.. I wouldn't even bother chasing one. If they've succeeded in making a great movie, I'll be happy.

Well, Will has already succeeded in making great movies... I don't think that there is any doubt that this will be a great movie. It's always nice to get that recognition though. The biggest knock against Will that critics bring up is the notion that he can't act, that he doesn't have range of character, and that he gets by on charm or special effects. An oscar would really serve to dissuade people of those opinions. It's also always good to be recognized by your contemporaries. Don Cheadle gave an interview sometime during the filming of Hotel Rwanda where he discussed how he managed to join that project. He mentioned that the producers had originally wanted Will Smith to play the lead role, and he sort of laughed it off like, 'would you believe that, they want Will Smith for this role.' I'm really not sure how seriously he's taken, and he must realize this as well. I feel as if he's still proving himself and he may very well feel the same way.

Well thats right.. I wouldn't even bother chasing one. If they've succeeded in making a great movie, I'll be happy.

Well, Will has already succeeded in making great movies... I don't think that there is any doubt that this will be a great movie. It's always nice to get that recognition though. The biggest knock against Will that critics bring up is the notion that he can't act, that he doesn't have range of character, and that he gets by on charm or special effects. An oscar would really serve to dissuade people of those opinions. It's also always good to be recognized by your contemporaries. Don Cheadle gave an interview sometime during the filming of Hotel Rwanda where he discussed how he managed to join that project. He mentioned that the producers had originally wanted Will Smith to play the lead role, and he sort of laughed it off like, 'would you believe that, they want Will Smith for this role.' I'm really not sure how seriously he's taken, and he must realize this as well. I feel as if he's still proving himself and he may very well feel the same way.

Still he's about everybodys favourite actor, between +-12 and +-25. So why should he care if ome jalous sucka's dont take him serious?

Still he's about everybodys favourite actor, between +-12 and +-25. So why should he care if ome jalous sucka's dont take him serious?

Because everyone still seeks recognition from their peers and others in their industry.

He allways seems very happy. Besides that, the guy is makin 20 Mil a movie..I seriously doubt that he cares about critics.

While these things are true, they aren't definitive in terms of how good an actor someone is. Will himself has gone on record as saying that he's taken on certain roles in order to display and expand his range of skill and further cultivate his craft... If he were only concerned about the money and fame, he'd stick to making summer blockbusters. However, it's obvious that Will takes acting seriously. Even during the FPOBA days, when he gained more influence over the plot lines, he sought to address more serious themes and display more serious acting. I think the thing that many don't realize or are just starting to realize is that Will actually enjoys acting. He hasn't approached it as some fad or money making endeavor; he enjoys it and wants to be good at it. Anyone who approaches a craft in such a manner can't help but be a little concerned about what their peers and experts in their field think of them.

It's great to be personally content, but it's even better to be personally content while having others speak highly of what you do. I don't think Will's primary goal is to "prove people wrong." I think he genuinely cares about film and really wants to display his skill and acting abilities as well as broadening his body of work, but as competitive as he is, I fail to believe that he isn't somewhat motivated by some of the unkind words some have said about his acting skills in the past. An Oscar would go a long way in silencing a lot of people. A lot. Of. People.

from the sun-times

STAR POWER: Not only will Paris Hilton be in the area Thursday, but Will Smith also will be hitting a red carpet -- a few miles east of the hotel heiress' premiere of her ''National Lampoon's Pledge This,'' out at Hollywood Boulevard theaters in Woodridge.

Smith will be joined by Chris Gardner -- the guy the actor portrays in ''The Pursuit of Happyness.'' The duo will work the red carpet beginning at 6:30 p.m. at the AMC River East 21 multiplex on East Ilinois.

Gardner's story traces him going from being an unemployed salesman living with his son in a San Francisco homeless shelter to becoming a self-made millionaire.

http://www.suntimes.com/entertainment/zwec...TR-zp24.article

don't think i can make this! (well to stand outside anyway, probably gotta have tickets or something to get in)

so close yet so far! i'm sure oprah's audience gets a free screening as well :tantrum:

Edited by MissAshley

Will Smith To Play Chicago Man In New Movie

Film Based On True Story Of Homeless Man Who Becomes Millionaire

Pam Zekman

Reporting

(CBS) CHICAGO A taste of Tinseltown comes to Chicago Thursday night when actor Will Smith arrives for the premiere of his new movie "The Pursuit of Happiness."

It's based on the true story of a homeless single father who went from living on the streets to living large, as a self-made millionaire.

CBS 2's Bill Zwecker sat down with Chris Gardner, the Chicago man who Will Smith plays in the film.

Head of Gardner-Rich, the investment firm he founded in 1987, Chris Gardner sits in memorabilia-filled office in Chicago's Loop, where he admits he was surprised Will Smith would play him on screen.

"Honestly, the first thing that went through my mind, I love Will, always have. But I thought Will hasn't done anything like this. It was my daughter who broke it down for me. She said, 'You know, pop, if he can play Muhammad Ali, he can play you,'" Gardner said.

Not only does Gardner count Ali as a big hero, now Smith is too.

"The first thing, you've got to trust someone willing to do something like this," Gardner said."And I've got to tell you, Will Smith played Chris Gardner better than Chris Gardner did!"

Since Gardner has a small cameo in the film, it's given him an idea.

"I'm starting a campaign. There should be a write-in campaign to the motion picture academy for best cameo," Gardner said.

Gardner, Smith and his family will all star on the red carpet Thursday night at the AMC River East 21 at 322 E. Illinois St. CBS 2 will have more on that on our news at 10PM.

http://cbs2chicago.com/topstories/local_story_299183553.html

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

*I watched a small interview of Will at the premiere on the news, he said Oprah told him something surprising; that Jaden's performance was the best performance by a young actor since she'd seen Tatum O'Neal (Paper Moon)

Edited by MissAshley