"Pursuit of Happyness"

bigwillfan

• Replies 443
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Does it really matter who will's wife. if she is white or black?

No, but obviously to hollywood or the audience it does matter,

otherwise how can you explain that will never had romance in his movies with a white female, I just feel it's a bit of racism

Also will had something to say about this 2, about interracial couples in movies

In the one romantic movie Will has done to date, his counterpart wasn't black.

otherwise how can you explain that will never had romance in his movies with a white female, I just feel it's a bit of racism

Also will had something to say about this 2, about interracial couples in movies

She wasn't white either :lolsign:

So you're not really concerned with an on-screen relationship with women of other races... You're just looking for an onscreen relationship with specifically a white woman. I'm I correct?

Cause then you have to ask... what about Asian women... and Hispanics... You must have been elated to see Will do a movie with somone of hispanic descent... I've never seen Will in a movie where his love interest is played by anyone close to having asian features... You must really be "pissed" about that too.

So you're not really concerned with an on-screen relationship with women of other races... You're just looking for an onscreen relationship with specifically a white woman. I'm I correct?

Cause then you have to ask... what about Asian women... and Hispanics... You must have been elated to see Will do a movie with somone of hispanic descent... I've never seen Will in a movie where his love interest is played by anyone close to having asian features... You must really be "pissed" about that too.

No, you're not correct.

As I stated before, it doesn't bother me at all if the female is black, white, asian or a latino, that's not the point.

The point is, that the american audience and hollywood has a problem when it comes to interracial couples on-screen, and this is something I actually protest.

Not only me but will smith himself made these kinda comments about interracial couples on-screen in a movie.

And I guess I made a good clarification about those, if you look at his movies.

I don't think that it is a big an issue as it seems. White women have played semi-love interests in the past. MIB, BB, I Robot. I think that the director tries to cast someone who resembles the chacter that has been written as opposed to forcing a role on someone that doesn't fit that character.

Is there a bit of racism in hollywood... yes... But while you're asking ourselves why interracial couples aren't shown as much as you would like, you should also be asking yourselves why minorities find it hard to get roles in Hollywood that don't portray them in a stereotypical manner. That should make you mad. Why are asians hugely underrepresented in Hollywood. That should make you furious. Why is it that black women generally portray "hoes" or "baby mamas" with attitudes in a lot of these films... The list keeps going. Headway is being made on the interracial from, but these other concerns remain stagnant. I'd like to hear you address those as well...

• Members

Yo, Pursuit of Happyness is gonna be dope. I prefer to see Will in these more serious roles. Although he obviously gives 100% in every role the more serious dramatic roles is when his true acting abitity come out. But with that said of course you need the right cast members around you. Its like Ali the only members of the cast that seemed dedictaed to their roles and the importance of their roles were Will and Jamie Foxx. Dont get me wrong Ali was dope but if they had the right dedication from every one it could of been much better. But Pursuit of Happyness has had a good start with the casting so far. I guess we will have to wait and see if they can click on set.

Edited by Polar Bear

The cast for Ali was great. It's just that Michael Mann (who is one of my favorite directors) made such odd choices with the film. He didn't make a very commercially friend film. It drags too much in some scenes, jumps around too much, and touches on too many subjects without really digging deep on any of them.

Edited by Radewart

• Members

Yeah maybe your right. I guess the director has an influence on the way the person approaches the role and the scene. But as you said it was all up and down and they never seemed comfortable with what they were doing. I, Robot however seemed to click immediatley. They werent huge Hollywood superstars (Excluding Will) but the onscreen chemisrty was there. As I said though serious roles are what I like to see him in more so maybe I am more critical about them. But the casting looks good for Pursuit of Happyness and hopefully it will bring out the best of everyones talents.

Edited by Polar Bear

I don't think that it is a big an issue as it seems. White women have played semi-love interests in the past. MIB, BB, I Robot. I think that the director tries to cast someone who resembles the chacter that has been written as opposed to forcing a role on someone that doesn't fit that character.

Is there a bit of racism in hollywood... yes... But while you're asking ourselves why interracial couples aren't shown as much as you would like, you should also be asking yourselves why minorities find it hard to get roles in Hollywood that don't portray them in a stereotypical manner. That should make you mad. Why are asians hugely underrepresented in Hollywood. That should make you furious. Why is it that black women generally portray "hoes" or "baby mamas" with attitudes in a lot of these films... The list keeps going. Headway is being made on the interracial from, but these other concerns remain stagnant. I'd like to hear you address those as well...

:word: couldn't have said it better myself Max, but i gotta vent and give it a try

in my mind I'm wondering when two A/B-list black actors will star opposite e/o in a huge blockbuster as love interests, I mean no offense to Eva Mendes or any other hispanic actors, but couldn't Sara have been African American and the movie been just as successful?. But i understand that the way for minorities to go mainstream is usually cast opposite white actors, it's always a struggle, esp. for females b/c they always want them to play "girlfriend" or "baby momma" roles as Max said.I hate that "hollywood" tries to cast hispanic females as the love interests of black and white men as if there aren't any hispanic males out there vying for a chance, i think latino and asian films are hugely underrated in hollywood but again it depends on the type of movie and what the director's looking for, i kinda took offense to the statement as a black female b/c i don't see anybody going "damn when's Halle Berry gonna be in a movie opposite Brad Pitt or Jude Law?" can't a black man be in a movie opposite a black woman, the same way white actors do it? But again it depends on the film and typecasting is a huge thing in hollywood, so far most of Eva's mainstream movies have been opposite black actors: Denzel, Will, Ice Cube, Jennifer Lopez, gets cast opposite white actors:....coincidence? probably not b/c they figure if they don't cast a black female they'll get a latino female and that's ok, that's their version of diversity.i guess what i'm trying to say is that every once in a while it's nice to see something familiar, and race is always a touchy subject but in this case it doesn't matter b/c if they're casting a black actress for a part based on a true story it's b/c she's really black, but i see nothing wrong with interracial couples onscreen if that's the focus of the movie, anyway it's an ongoing thing like Max said and I do see some progress being made

ok, that's my piece....and i can't wait for this movie lol

Edited by willjadafan

I think it's quite a big issue, again this is not my opinion but will smith's,

they wanted to cast a black woman for hitch, but they said american audience

won't be tempted to see that movie, then will wanted to cast a white actress,

he got bad critics from it and they said to him people don't wanna see that,

so he had to go between in and cast a latino.

My problem isn't with white,black or asian, but with people who have the slightest

problem with any of those subjects, so if the audience doesn't like interracial couples, then i'm pissed, if black woman aren't appreciated in movies these days as white woman, i'm pissed, if asian people aren't that much welcomed then i'm pissed,

they are all a big subject to themselves and are of a great problem these days.

Hope to have cleared it up

Well me I have now problem with interracial romances. In fact I like 2 see more. But I guess interracial is still a taboo subject 4 ppl in Hollywood and even actors. But I do see like Miss Ashley said some progress. Anyway can't wait till this movie comes out. Thanx Jonny 4 that post. Can't wait 2 see Jaden in his big starring role.