JJFP reunite for 50 years of Hip Hop December 10 ×
Jazzy Jeff & Fresh Prince Forum

Should Will dumb the rhyme a little?

I would much rather Will...  

58 members have voted

1. 1. I would much rather Will...

• Give us food for thought (keep it serious, tell us what u think)
    • Dumb the rhyme a little (fun rap dude)

I can't decide, i like it will tackles the more serious subjects, and also songs like, girls ... and parents ..., are classics

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Lost and Found is perfect. He's gotta keep a mix of fun and serious to appeal to different people, like he wants to.

A downside to a serious track is that some people just don't appreciate what it's about, or the message and then just instantly dismiss it.

I think a healthy dose of each is best because it proves what a complete MC he is. I put keep it real simply because that was he does on Lost and Found but there are still fun tracks, and I like his story telling songs.

I think FP should have just a little bit more food for thought. That why more people would respect him. I love the serious songs but I also love the party tracks. I love everything that he does as long as its not another "Born to Reign" lol. Maybe more party/serious fusions like "Party Starter". I love how he combined that.

Yeah, that's why Party Starter is so great, its got a message, or "food for thought," but its fun too. His serious songs will only bring him more respect in the rap game.

If he was to dumb the rhyme a little bit he would only be conforming to the current state of hip-hop which he is critical of on Lost and Found.

Well dumbing down is actually what sells now, Jay-Z wouldn't sell much if he didn't dumb down either on his singles, 50 Cent and Eminem selling a lot but their whole style is dumbed down arguably some might say, even Kanye released "Workout Plan" which was a dumbed down video, Public Enemy probably won't sell much at all on their new album 'cause people don't wanna hear serious rap that much anymore, I don't want Will to do a whole serious album 'cause that's not his style, that'd be like 2Pac doing a party album.

i think hes doing a fine job keep it up will dont dumb

but i think he should collaborate more, altho some people disagree

Will should definately collab more, especially ol' school legends and not too much of today's rappers, I wanna see JJFP do an album with Slick Rick and Doug E. Fresh next year, they could call it "So Fresh 2006" where they do a lot of throwback type songs with cameos by Rev. Run, DMC, Biz Markie, LL Cool J, and De La Soul, it'd be the greatest album ever made, I think that'd bring a lot of ol' school heads back again who thought hip-hop was dead.

Edited by bigted

I really don't want him 2 go one way or the other. There are moments when i wanna get jiggy wit it...and their are days when i need trax that'll help me get thru' the rain. Albums like Big Willie Style were way 2 easy for him...and Lost + Found comes across a bit forced at times. I want something in between. But it's important that each album is different...but not drastically different. FP knows what he's doing.

• Admin

personally I dont like any of that big willie style stuff or Will rapping abt how much money hes got cars clothes whatever.. Wills now in his 30s I'll take the serious more focused topics any day.. if you want the fun rap theres near 8 albums of the stuff :word:

You get the feeling that Will did those "Freakin' It" and "Gettin' Jiggy Wit It" type songs to compete with the other rappers on the charts at the time since it was the bling-bling era, he shouldn't worry about competing with 50 Cent and them chart rappers, he should do more tracks that're on his mind and if he does any fun tracks it should be like "Girls Ain't Nothin' But Trouble" type song where he's poking fun on a dillema and that'd get him the most respect among his peers.