JJFP reunite for 50 years of Hip Hop December 10 ×
Jazzy Jeff & Fresh Prince Forum

Should Will dumb the rhyme a little?

I would much rather Will...  

58 members have voted

1. 1. I would much rather Will...

• Give us food for thought (keep it serious, tell us what u think)
    • Dumb the rhyme a little (fun rap dude)

• Admin

Judging by a lot of the reviews and peoples comments a lot of people are saying they would rather Will go back to the carefree fun rapper and not really address any topics or say what he wants. They think Switch is the best track on the album and they dont understand why Will's so upset. They are saying Will just do what you do best. They would rather Will do an album like Big Willie Style as opposed to Lost and Found.. Tracks like getting jiggy wit it men in black will2k freakin it wild wild west switch over tracks like mr nice guy, lost & found, ms holy roller, the rain etc. Where do fans sit on this topic.. you think Will should go back to fun rap.. or do you think Will should continue in the vein of Lost and Found, saying what he thinks getting stuff off his chest.. do you prefer the more serious Will on the mic,..or do you just want fun party rap tracks to dance too.. Answer honestly and tell us why either way :1-say-yes:

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm gonna go off the board and say that I want more story telling rhymes. I always thought that the dance tracks (disposable lyrics) weren't nearly as good as his story telling tracks. That said, and back to the topic, I like a good mix of fun stories and serious stories. Part of why I enjoy L&F so much is that it has a great mix. If I had to choose one or the other, I'd prefer serious stuff. I'd much rather have Tell Me Why, Lost And Found, Just The Two Of Us, and Shadow Dreams over Gettin Jiggy Wit It, Miami, Will2k, Wild Wild West, and Switch. But there's still room for It's All Good, Scary Story, Twinkle Twinkle, and Summertime.

• Members

Dumb down. That's why I love Will. And yes, "Switch", "Pump Ya Brakes" & "If You Can't Dance" are my most favourite tracks off the album and that is the real Will Smith/Fresh Prince to me. :2thumbs:

Heeeeeeeeyyyyyyy, Heeeeeeeeeeeeyyyyy!!! SWITCH!!!!! :lolsign: :dj:

I like em both...but the serious side is something I wanne see him do more! Songs like Potnas, The Rain, Afro Angel, Lost & Found, Loretta are some strong songs! Even Party Starter that is cald is party track has some good and strong lyrics in it (third verse)! So I like em both, he's good at making party records....but the serious stuff is something that I want him to keep doing!

Ain't partystarter the perfect fusion of those things?

I would say food for thought. But he can't continue on the same topics that he's spoken on this album. He should go beyond that. Maybe more storys like afro angel or sumthin.

Dumb down ain't never good. Of course he can be a little light, but that wouldn't be interesting.

I like em both...but the serious side is something I wanne see him do more! Songs like Potnas, The Rain, Afro Angel, Lost & Found, Loretta are some strong songs! Even Party Starter that is cald is party track has some good and strong lyrics in it (third verse)! So I like em both, he's good at making party records....but the serious stuff is something that I want him to keep doing!

:yeahthat: I love them both 2. I love both sides of Will. I love his party tracks and I love his serious tracks. I would like a alittle bit more story telling tracks.

I think the serious side of Will needs 2 to be shown alittle more tho.

Here I go...

Most people on this forum are fans of Will Smith. Not just the rapper, not just the actor, but the man himself. A lot of people admire what he stands for... family, integrity, kindness, and really really keeping it real.

In keeping with this, I see the "serious" music as a natuaral extension of who he is. The listener can delve more into who Will Smith is in a song like Tell Me Why than they can in Gettin Jiggy Wit It. The serious music compels him to expose himself more and provide the listener with his interpretation of how he sees the world. You simply don't get that same insight into Will Smith in the party songs.

As someone mentioned earlier, Party Starter is the perfect fusion of the two. Party music with a message.

I personally don't want to see Will boxed into a specific genre of rap, but I do prefer the serious messages as it offers us a chance to see how Will thinks and what he thinks on certain topics, what's taking place in his life, etc...

I think Will should do more storytellin' fun tracks again too as well as serious tracks, he's great at doing all of that, we need cats like Will and Slick Rick to keep it fun as much as we need Common and KRS-ONE to keep it serious, hip-hop needs balance again! :dj:

yeah i would have to say i like both too. I do like music to be fun and not many ppl do that these days, its just to put on a song that makes u laugh and cheers u up. Thats why i like songs like wild wild west and jiggy, it is Will, its him being fun.

However the more serious songs stand out a lot more for me. Things like the rain, tell me why, potnas are thought provoking, its another side to Will, and he really shows how intelligent he is.

I think now ive grown older i appreciate the serious songs more, i want more of them but i dont want him to stop the fun. In times like these we need it. If i listened to tell me why all day, life would get depressing.

i say food for thought. Will will always be the silly Fresh Prince, but he's getting older now and there's probably some topics that he'd like to cover in his raps, and i support him. i like the dance party songs too, but some of his serious songs that have been previously mentioned (potnas, the rain, tell me why) strongly outshine stuff like Switch and Gettin Jiggy. of course i don't want Will's whole album 2 be serious, i still want old skool JJFP flava too. so yes, i want him 2 keep doin what he's been doin and L&F, and that's keepin' it serious with a couple of silly classic JJFP trax in there too.