JJFP reunite for 50 years of Hip Hop December 10 ×
Jazzy Jeff & Fresh Prince Forum

Should Will dumb the rhyme a little?

I would much rather Will...  

58 members have voted

1. 1. I would much rather Will...

• Give us food for thought (keep it serious, tell us what u think)
    • Dumb the rhyme a little (fun rap dude)

As XN said, we've got enough dumb rhymes right now, even with Party tracks, Will can still be intelligent, like on Party Starter. The reason he is so great is because he can do it all, any type of track.

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

Will can still be intelligent, like on Party Starter.

Exactly. It took a bit of time for me to figure out that FP was dissing the current state of hip-hop in the very last lines of the third verse (starting from "People getting trapped in the track..."). Now, I didn't use every verse in my remix, but I featured quotes from the third verse which I thought said the most.

...The main motive is to get y'all dancing, anyways. :jazzy: :wiggle:

• 7 months later...
  • Members

:hmm:

I think Will should continue singing songs that reflect who he is......as most of us are....we have our serious side :ponder: and we have our fun, party side. :party: It's important to have both in life...fun and games, as well as responsibility and sharing some deep thoughts, beliefs and feelings. :smart:

I think it's important for Will to think about what crowd/audience he wants to speak to....what age group, etc, and for Will to always Keep It Real!! :wickedwisdom:

That's the kind of music I prefer anyways! :bandana: Something that I can relate to...whether I'm up or down, and it speaks to me. :kool2:

Will is the artist and as long as he keeps up his career...he will Always have an audience!! :woot:

:2thumbs:

Jen

As many have already said, I like both party and serious styles of his music. But I think he should do whatever he feels like making. If he is feeling like doing some fun music, then he should go for it. But if he wants be more serious, then thats fine too.

Edited by bart5

• Members

I also like the both sides of his music. I can enjoy the fun tracks like miami, getting jiggy with it, will2k. But other times his strong "real life" tracks mean a lot too me too, like potnas, lost and found, ... Even his story telling music from back in the days, and now scary story, even loretta you can see as a story telling track.

So if he keeps his diversity he's gone stay great, because any one of us feels different every day, and like this we can listen to his music whenever we want, in whatever mood we are.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

You guys sure love your Big Willies.

As for dumbing down and straightening the seriousness...

I don't know. When I heard Will as FP with "Parents Just Don't Understand," I found him to be entertaining, funny, and creative. "Summertime" was also a favorite of mine, and in this one, he's laid back, calm, and charming - pre-Baby Bash if you'd wanna call it (pre-Lil' Rob for "Summer Nights"). Since his split with Jazzy Jeff (holla!), Will's gone out into making title tracks for movies ("Men In Black" and "Wild Wild West"), built bridges with father and son ("Just The Two Of Us"), delivered old school beats and rhymes sans brawn ("So Fresh" and "Yes Yes Y'All"), and came back with big party anthems ("Getting Jiggy Wit It" and "Switch").

With Lost and Found, I find him to be more concerned of whether Smith fits with the whole hip hop image of today. But remember that he had some of this venom since "Willenium", when he first requested all rappers to "write one verse without a curse" on "Freakin' It." On "Born To Reign", he seemed to have hidden this inner rage with a bunch of love songs (I can only assume on the rage part). Most likely, he didn't want to do this because he may be afraid of what fans will think of his "new approach." In "Switch," you were looking at a vibrant, vigorous old school cat who had a more street delivery - a Willie with a Wesson, if you like to call it. * Yes, it was gritty, but it was a style that I think Will had never before used in comparison to "Getting Jiggy," the single that brought him back to platinum status.

Dumb or serious?

I don't really care. I like it when he expresses himself freely without having to con or carbon-copy his way to the top. What concerns me on the lyrics side is if he's willing to admit he's "past his times," and whether he can use his past tracks in order to mature lyrically on his album, the same way like Beck did with "Odelay" for his "Guero" album.

Collabos... go back to the "Who should will collaborate with" thread. I made a list as to who Will fits best with. You can check that out on my profile.

> Why Nelson Mandela had to live in a cage....

For those who've never heard of Nelson Mandela (I haven't):

http://www.anc.org.za/people/mandela.html

Really? He lived in a cage?

* I can't wait to use that on my raps.

"I wash myself with a rag on a stick" - Nancy Cartwright (as Bart Simpson)

My all time favorite Will ablum is BWS. Althou its mostly dumb-dancin tracks he also got just the two of us and i think dont say nothin, candy, i loved you and chasing forever feels serious enough. Willennium was also a great album where he got lots of partytracks but also the rain, potnas and some more serious tracks. It doesnt have to be an angry track to be a serious track. I think the dance-like music fits his rapstyle better than the hip-hop music he used on lost and found.

On lost and found he says that he doesnt understand why he has to sound like everyone else but at the same time this is the one of his albums that sounds most like everyone else.

It would also be nice to see him use dumb dancing more in his videos and make it the worlds number one party dance :wiggle:

• Members

> What are you trying to say?

Sorry, it wasn't a good week for yours truly. I've been up and down the mountains lately in a figurative sense.

> I don't know. When I heard Will as FP with "Parents Just Don't Understand," I found him to be entertaining, funny, and creative. "Summertime" was also a favorite of mine, and in this one, he's laid back, calm, and charming - pre-Baby Bash if you'd wanna call it (pre-Lil' Rob for "Summer Nights"). Since his split with Jazzy Jeff (holla!), Will's gone out into making title tracks for movies ("Men In Black" and "Wild Wild West"), built bridges with father and son ("Just The Two Of Us"), delivered old school beats and rhymes sans brawn ("So Fresh" and "Yes Yes Y'All"), and came back with big party anthems ("Getting Jiggy Wit It" and "Switch").

Just a little intro on how Will started out as a duo and how he got back on his feet on his own. The pre-Baby Bash nod is in fact a comparison tool for Baby Bash. For evidence, go to Rapreviews.com and read Bash's "Tha Smokin' Nephew" and "Super Saucy" reviews.

> With Lost and Found, I find him to be more concerned of whether Smith fits with the whole hip hop image of today. But remember that he had some of this venom since "Willenium", when he first requested all rappers to "write one verse without a curse" on "Freakin' It." On "Born To Reign", he seemed to have hidden this inner rage with a bunch of love songs (I can only assume on the rage part). Most likely, he didn't want to do this because he may be afraid of what fans will think of his "new approach."

To be honest, I never heard the album. I only pick up impressions of this through reviews and snippets at BarnesandNoble.com, ArtistDirect and Rapreviews.com. I did listen to Big Willie Style, Willenium and his Greatest Hits Compilation. I did see the video for 1000 Kisses, which gave me the impression that it was more of a lovely-love level than it was for the fans.

> In "Switch," you were looking at a vibrant, vigorous old school cat who had a more street delivery - a Willie with a Wesson, if you like to call it. Yes, it was gritty, but it was a style that I think Will had never before used in comparison to "Getting Jiggy," the single that brought him back to platinum status.

Think about it. The only times Will ever got hard without hitting you on the head with hurt words were the unreleased remix of "Getting Jiggy Wit It" and "Uuhhh," though the latter was a tad pre-mature. The game show lines in his verse examplify this ("Wheel a Fortune away / Price Is Right, I don't play / Find yourself in Jeopardy / First clue 'What is / Will Smith,' hot to death, not you").

> I don't really care. I like it when he expresses himself freely without having to con or carbon-copy his way to the top. What concerns me on the lyrics side is if he's willing to admit he's "past his times," and whether he can use his past tracks in order to mature lyrically on his album, the same way like Beck did with "Odelay" for his "Guero" album.

Again, read the reviews at music.bn.com or artistdirect.com for Beck's "Odelay" and "Guero". Will Smith is not aimed at in both of these reviews, but it does relate to him for the fact that he needs to push the envelope a little further in his rhymes (the uncensored "ass" is a start somewhat), and only the need for growth in his style can fix that. Beck did.

Like I said, I really didn't care if Will dumbed it down or not. It's his choice, but he needs to understand where it's going to lead him. Why do you think "Lost & Found" didn't do well on Billboard?

Tony G and Julio G of 93.5 KDAY might be able to answer this question. They did an interview with ChicanoRapSource.com about why Chicanos aren't getting any radio play. You might be able to interpret some of this interview for our loyal Fresh Prince.

Here's the direct link to the website:

http://www.chicanorapsource.com

Make sure to click on Videos to go to the interview.

maybe it's me, but i am so confused by your posts. paragraphs with a > preceeding them mean what? if you wanna quote something, try using the quote feature on here. also your reference to "Smith" make you sound way to serious about it. lol, maybe it's just me tho

Judging by a lot of the reviews and peoples comments a lot of people are saying they would rather Will go back to the carefree fun rapper and not really address any topics or say what he wants. They think Switch is the best track on the album and they dont understand why Will's so upset. They are saying Will just do what you do best. They would rather Will do an album like Big Willie Style as opposed to Lost and Found.. Tracks like getting jiggy wit it men in black will2k freakin it wild wild west switch over tracks like mr nice guy, lost & found, ms holy roller, the rain etc. Where do fans sit on this topic.. you think Will should go back to fun rap.. or do you think Will should continue in the vein of Lost and Found, saying what he thinks getting stuff off his chest.. do you prefer the more serious Will on the mic,..or do you just want fun party rap tracks to dance too.. Answer honestly and tell us why either way :1-say-yes:

Aight now Will can do fun rap best but better than others, not better than being serious. U know I mean? I mean he can do both very good! He put out an awesome album with Lost and Found, he's damn serious, putting out some real and true facts, taking some topics and rappin' bout them - that's hot!!! And now he did it, he's finished wit' sayin' what he wanted 2 say so he should continue doin' the old style now! Got it? =)

:rockon:

• Members

Anytime I use this symbol (>), it means that I'm quoting. I don't usually put the postee's name cause I have to rush my messages. I'm a busy man, you know. I'm not really fond of the "quote" code, but please understand where I'm coming from...

Actually, I can't. I said "hentai" once on the Insaniquarium Forum, and nearly got banned for it. How's that for an explanation?

• 8 months later...