JJFP reunite for 50 years of Hip Hop December 10 ×
Jazzy Jeff & Fresh Prince Forum

The New Will Smith?

Think about Nick's age...compared 2 FP at that age, Nick Cannon has already ran circles around FP's movie career at his early 20's.  Without FP paving the way...i doubt Nick Cannon could have accomplished so much on the movie front without FP's clearing the way.

are u kidding? How is Nick Cannon's movie career now superior to Will's when he was in his early 20's? Let's compare

Nick

Love Don't Cost a Thing

Shall We Dance

Drumline

Garfield

other movies projects coming up doesn't even have him as the lead.

Will

Six Degrees of Separation

Made in America

Bad Boys

Where the Day takes you

started working on Independence Day

*Will and Nick both have had their share of crap movies (will did the stinker Made in America in his early 20's) yet I see no evidence of Nick's movie career being superior to Will's. Will was 24 when he started shooting Bad Boys, and people were talking about his leading man abilities. Not to metion he got top billing for Independence Day although it wasn't necessarily his movie. Independence Day established Will as a star, but Nick Cannon han't even got there yet. I looked up a list of Nick's upcoming movies like "roll Bounce" (another kiddie urban comedy), some movie with Lindsay Lohan (u could count that out as a "serious" film), and some other crap like "monster Hunter" and the "underclassmen." None of these movies put him as the lead (except for the one with Lindsay). Will of course has moved on to be one of the top grossing stars of all time. Nick Cannon isn't even a smudge on that list. AJ, u are talkin nonsense.

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The bottom line is not too many people are gonna say 10-15 years from now, "Hey that Nickelodeon show that Nick Cannon did back in the day was classic and his 1st rap album was too!", but they say that now about the early JJFP albums and "The Fresh Prince Of Bel-Air", in fact people probably still'll be talking about JJFP and Will's acting career many years ahead 'cause what Will does is standing the test of time. That's the problem a lot of today's younger rappers have, their stuff might be hits at the moment and get a lot of airplay now, but years ahead nobody's gonna talk about what Nick Cannon, Bow Wow, Romeo, Nelly, Cassidy, Nitty, Juelz Santana, etc. are doing now many years ahead 'cause not too many hip-hop heads take what they're doing that serious now, and even their fanbase will grow out of their music, but what JJFP, Slick Rick, LL Cool J, Big Daddy Kane, Run-Dmc, Rakim, etc.'ve done when they 1st came out at such young ages is standing the test of time and that makes them the hip-hop legends they are, they're could never be another golden era of hip-hop unless the music stands the test of time, and in order to be a legendary actor the films you do have to also stand the test of time.

I'm not talking nonsense. At Nick's age, FP only had done the overlooked sleeper Where The Day Takes You and Made In America (which waz good...but nothing but an altered version of Will from The Fresh Prince of Bel-Air). Ain't nothing wrong with Nick's movie and TV career. He's on his way 2 big things.

FP, Jamie Foxx, LL, Latifah, etc all started out the same way. Fight with me all u want, but at least come correct on your facts.

As much as we may want to compare Nick's movie career to Will's, we have to take into account how early Nick actually began his TV and film career. Nick joined the cast of All that in 1997 when he was 17. Because Will had skipped his auditions for The Cosby Show, he began acting in 1990 on TFPOBA at the age of 21. In only 3-4 movies, Will began to have serious starring roles. Bad Boys, Independence Day... Unless you count drumline, Nick hasn't had a role that has brought him serious hollywood attention. At the age of 24, Will was doing better in, music, and television than Nick is doing at that age currently and was just really starting his film career since he had responsibilities of TFPOBA set. By age 27, Will had done Bad Boys, Independence Day, and was shooting Men In Black... all starring roles. The thing is, in 95, 96, 97... Will was the new hot thing... Nick Cannon's been around for a while, so while he may have more movies and experience under his belt at 24... Will managed to do it more quickly.

• Admin

I think its unfair to compare Will and Nick Cannon.. i mean how many Will Smith's are there out there? Will's very unique in his accomplishments.. any1 who achieves 10% of what Will has has done a pretty good job in my opinion

I'm not talking nonsense.  At Nick's age, FP only had done the overlooked sleeper Where The Day Takes You and Made In America (which waz good...but nothing but an altered version of Will from The Fresh Prince of Bel-Air).  Ain't nothing wrong with Nick's movie and TV career.  He's on his way 2 big things.

FP, Jamie Foxx, LL, Latifah, etc all started out the same way.  Fight with me all u want, but at least come correct on your facts.

these aren't "facts" It purely your opinion that Nick Cannon has done some significant work in the movies. If u call his movies superior to Will's, then I'm afraid to know what your favorite movies of all-time were. Nick Cannon's movies have all been, to put it nicely, crap.

Edited by bigted

When i waz refurring 2 FACTS...i waz talking about Bad Boys and ID4 being part of FP's career at Nick's age. Neither of those movie were even started at that point. I'm saying that when u put Nick's movies up against FP's 1st 2....Nick has surpassed FP back when he waz at that age.

Opinions are opinions. I don't care if anyone likes or dislikes Nick Cannon. I have my tastes and i think he's defintily an asset 2 Hip-Hop. I'm not comparing him 2 FP cuz that would be rediculous. But Nick is taking the path that FP paved which i totally respect. I know some other people's tastes and history when it comes 2 Hip-Hop on this board. Which is why i respect other people's opinions more than others. Not 2 mention the way some people carry themselves.