JJFP reunite for 50 years of Hip Hop December 10 ×
Jazzy Jeff & Fresh Prince Forum

Nirvana

*mimi*

Well, I'm not a true Nirvana "fan", but I like quite a bit of their music. Of course the 1st song I heard was "Smells Like Teen Spirit". I later got their "Unplugged". I figured that was the best way to hear em. I like the cd cuz I can away like I never could before. So I can say I respect Nirvana and their music. Since I like a lil rock/pop or however they categorize it, it's only fitting.

Nevermind was a good album, their cover of David Bowie's "Man Who Sold The World" is fantastic. Apart from that they are one of the most overated groups ever, but i guess you cant deny their importance.

i wouldn't say they're overrated at all. Not only did they start a huge movement, Nirvana has done a lot in the music world. Kurt Cobain did not necessarily like being the "leader" of any movement, or the voice of the generation. I don't think he even understood why his words were so popular. They're overrated to people who weren't really "fans" in the first place. People who aren't fans wouldn't understand. They unseated Michael Jackson's "Thriller" album from the number one spot, and I think they were underrated before Kurt died. But people say artists aren't appreciated until after death, which is true sometimes. People thought 2Pac was just some thug until he died. Some people thought Kurt was a drug addict, ignorant rock musician until he died. I read some of his interviews and found him fascinating. He speaks out a lot about hating people who were homophobes, racists, and sexists. Which says a lot about a guy who's presumed to be just another rocker. Didn't u guys hear about his little feud with Guns n' Roses b/c of what they said about "immigrants and faggots?" I think Kurt isn't overrated because of the type of person he was. He definitely was not your typical rocker, and Nirvana's music shouldn't be typecast as overrated. I guess coming from a rap board, I shouldn't expect much love for people like Nirvana

They unseated Michael Jackson's "Thriller" album from the number one spot

No the didn`t :wtf:

Thriller is stil the best seling Album ever!

But Nevermind was cool..

re-read carefully sir. "thriller" is indeed the highest selling album of all time. however, Nirvana's album unseated Thriller FROM THE NUMBER ONE SLOT ON THE BILLBOARD CHARTS when it FIRST came out. Nevermind did NOT take over Thriller as the best selling album of all time, but it did boot Jacko from the number one spot on the charts to number two in 1991.

But Nevermind was cool..

re-read carefully sir. "thriller" is indeed the highest selling album of all time. however, Nirvana's album unseated Thriller FROM THE NUMBER ONE SLOT ON THE BILLBOARD CHARTS when it FIRST came out. Nevermind did NOT take over Thriller as the best selling album of all time, but it did boot Jacko from the number one spot on the charts to number two in 1991.

Oh sorry Mam :lolsign:

• Members

But Nevermind was cool..

No it was not Thriller, it was Dangerous. Don't get confused, honey. :1-say-yes:

And yes, a HUUUUUUUUUGGGGGGGGEEEEEE Nirvana fan here. Got every album of theirs and I really do miss Kurt Cobain. His touch to the grunge rock was extremely unique and just last week I was listening to "Incesticide" and it was so great. :2thumbs:

i'm a fan of Nirvana... I love Nevermind. Yeah such a shame that Kurt killed himself. He'll be missed.

I never really got in2 that stuff. I did kinda like "Smells Like Teen Spirit" tho.' I remember seeing it premire on MTV and something about it just stood out. As i look back on their singles i remember from back in the day, it made me wanna give them a better listen. I almost got their greatest hits album when it came out thinkin' that would be a good way 2 figure out what they were about.

Half of my friends back then were in2 the rock/grunge thing so i defintly got a heavy dose of them back in middle skool...and even high skool which waz after Cobain killed himself.

Nirvana were cool, but yeh they were over-rated. There are too many people that say they are the most importnat band in modern day rock.

Dave Grohl has moved onto a much better band in my opinion in The Foo Fighters

Nirvana were cool, but yeh they were over-rated. There are too many people that say they are the most importnat band in modern day rock.

Dave Grohl has moved onto a much better band in my opinion in The Foo Fighters

IMO people who have only heard "Smells like Teen Spirit" would say they're overrated. The Foo Fighters suck.

Yeah such a shame that Kurt killed himself.

Some people debate that. One girl in my music class last year said "Anyone who really understood Nirvana, knows he didn't kill himself" (or something along those lines)

that's right. People shouldn't be blind sided by the media reports that Kurt Cobain "killed himself." You guys can go to www.cobaincase.com or http://www.justiceforkurt.com/ for some info. Some good stuff there.

But I don't think the girl should have said "anyone who understood Nirvana knows he didn't kill himself, etc". No one really understands an artist unless you know them personally. A lot of my favorite artists like 2Pac and Kurt Cobain are still a mystery to me, and I've been a huge fan of theirs for ages.

Edited by *mimi*