JJFP reunite for 50 years of Hip Hop December 10 ×
Jazzy Jeff & Fresh Prince Forum

Will Smith actor & rapper

Does Will spend more time for his acting career than music?  

24 members have voted

1. 1. Does Will spend more time for his acting career than music?

• yes
    • no
    • 50:50

So true. It always seems that way. because of that, more people today know him as Will Smith the big movie star, not a rapper. Everyone I know thinks he sucks as a rapper. With that break inbetween Willenium and Born to Reign, he kinda destroyed his image as a rapper first, a movie star second. Columbia also majorly helped with that.

I was in the movies two nights ago and I saw a huge promo banner in the lobby hanging on a wall of it for "I, Robot" with him on it. I was disappointed in a way.

I wish I could walk into a CD store and see a JJFP banner for a new album being hung on the wall, but that'll never look like it'll happen anytime soon. I dunno, maybe cuz I'm just not optimistic.

Let's keep in mind Will has been going 4 years...it's not like he's some new guy that should stick 2 one thing. He's evolved since he waz FP, he's branched off with movies 2 keep him busy and he still gives us music. Shouldn't we be happy he's still in the limelight and still has albums and movies coming out? I know I am.

i think Will spends far too much time acting. but if u think about it Will has done a lot of albums over the years, i must own over 150 songs.It must be difficult to think of things fresh and new, so maybe he takes his time so he can get new sounds and ideas.

But i hate it when he has a new album out and doesnt promte it as well as other artists do, and tour and stuff bcoz he is too busy acting.

The funny thing is, in certain interviews, Will has said things like "i've always considered myself a rapper 1st and everything else comes second" and when asked about which part of entertainment is his favorite he talks about music being the most personal, up-to-date, and so on. Music is totally in this man's heart but he's very wrapped up in acting. Music is a hobby tho'...acting is a job. Acting pays the bills. Will makes music 4 fun and puts it out 4 the fans.

I can relate in my un-famous way that i've always loved writing and rapping but in recent years, i don't write 2 often or perform 2 often...but i've done tons of local acting. I get a lil' money from doing the acting and alot of people in my community recognize me and of course none of them know about my love 4 Hip-Hop. It's easy 2 get wrapped up in other things which can make your 1st love suffer.

• Admin
jeff always says will is an emcee 1st and is hip hop..theres no doubt will enjoys music more hes said it thousands of times..will just needs to be more confident in his music and not worry about sales..if he has a new album..PUT IT OUT!! :bang:

I may be the only person on this board who thinks Will should do more movies. I love Will's music as much as everyone else on this board but I think he should release his music when he totally feels good about it. I would like to hear new music from him but I'm not in any rush. I'm more concerned with Will having complete control and satisfaction with the music he puts out.

Another reason I want to see Will do more movies is because I want him to win an Academy Award. He's got 4 Grammy Awards and countless types of other music awards. I want to see him more acting awards.

We've had this discussion over and over again. I just think that Will doesn't have anything to prove musically. He's sold nearly 30 million records worldwide and has won jsut about every music award possible. At some point he's going to stop rapping for good and focus 100% on acting. I think he's slowly moving toward that mark. I think it's a good thing for Will to concentrate more on acting. By no means do I feel he should quit rapping now but I do think that he should only release his music when he feels completely good about it. Edited by TopDawg14

:werd: Will would be a fool to not make big movies, he has a well established acting career and he shouldn't stop that now 'cause I don't realistically see Will selling almost 10 million off of his next album the way the current state of the music industry is, the average music fans wanna hear ignorance and don't know what real music is like we do!! But if Will loves hip-hop as much as he says he does, he'll release his album anyway and not pay attention to how much it sells, like I said before the loyal fans will buy it!

• Admin
topdawg i kinda agree with what your saying..will has released 8 albums over sum 120 traxs.. so we really should be happy with that..most artists dont get 2 do that... but born to reign just left me with a feeling of will can do better..and ive been dying to hear him again on the mic since then.. as far as wills acting.. a lot can go wrong with movies (see W3) and will doesnt have much control over them..i enjoy his movies but nowhere near the level i enjoy his music.. if u look at the next 4 or 5 movies wills gonna do none of them will get him an oscar... id rather see will be more selective with his roles..and only do 1 movie a year..then he can put more focus into his music...i dont think he should quit music anytime soon..jeffs 4 years older than will and still going strong

[quote=Hero1,Jun 8 2004, 06:39 PM]topdawg i kinda agree with what your saying..will has released 8 albums over sum 120 traxs.. so we really should be happy with that..most artists dont get 2 do that... but born to reign just left me with a feeling of will can do better..and ive been dying to hear him again on the mic since then.. as far as wills acting.. a lot can go wrong with movies (see W3) and will doesnt have much control over them..i enjoy his movies but nowhere near the level i enjoy his music.. if u look at the next 4 or 5 movies wills gonna do none of them will get him an oscar... id rather see will be more selective with his roles..and only do 1 movie a year..then he can put more focus into his music...i dont think he should quit music anytime soon..jeffs 4 years older than will and still going strong[/quote]
Hero1,

Actually Will has control over the movies he makes. He gets to choose what movies to do. Whether or not they're successful depends on the audience. WWW didn't do so well but then again neither did B2R. A lot can go wrong with music as well.

Personally, I liked B2R a lot. I appreciated the fact Will wanted to experiment with his music a little bit.

As far as winning acting awards go, hopefully he'll do the Chris Gardner(?) project. It's supposed to be a real serious flick and usually those type of movies get you nominated for awards.

I'd like to see him do about 2-3 movies a year. I think he can still do music while working on movies. And the reason Jeff is still doing music is because he's not an artist in the sense that Will is. Jeff doing music as a DJ or producer.