JJFP reunite for 50 years of Hip Hop December 10 ×
Jazzy Jeff & Fresh Prince Forum

What happened with Jive

• Admin
apparently will took men in black to jive and they didnt like it and didnt want it released... (thats what aj tells me ive never read that myself)

what i do know is... then jive sued will for not completing his contract and pursueing music.. jjfp had initially signed a 7 album and greatest hits deal.. will eventually settled that outta court.. and then he signed a multi album deal with columbia records.. jazzy jeff also signed a solo album deal with columbia around the same time.. columbia decided to shelve jeffs album..and when wills contract ran out..sony and will decided not to renew.. and they put out a really crappy greatest hits album to fulfil the contract..which was probably 4 albums..

Yeah, Will came 2 Jive when he recorded "Men In Black" but they didn't think it would be a hit and didn't want it. Of course this is hilarious becuz "Men In Black" became the most-played Hip-Hop song of all time. JJ+FP and Jive already had problems becuz JJ+FP wazn't happy with how they were being promoted after "Parents Just Don't Understand" waz a hit (they wanted 2 promote them almost the way Columbia promoted Will as a solo artist). They later had other legal problems when it came 2 money and breach of contracts (Will has said off-book that they owe them money that dosen't look like he's fighting 2 get).

When it comes 2 this stuff tho', it's not public knowlege and it's actually none of our bizness so we'll probably never know the facts. I just picked up the whole MIB-Jive thing from a Will Smith documentary that waz put 2gether in 1998/1999. The money/contract stuff i remember hearing from Ready Rock C.

[quote=Hero1,Jun 3 2004, 10:40 PM]i really cant think of a label that supports ol skool rap artists at the moment..which is probably why will hasnt signed with anyone yet...[/quote]
:werd: That's so true man. Even Def Jam hasn't been giving LL and Slick Rick the respect they deserve over the recent years it seems and DMX admitted how Def Jam has been scamming artists over contracts when he was in The Bassment wit Big Tigger on BET last year. A lot of record labels are more concerned over making money than respecting their artists! Edited by bigted

I can't imajin Def Jam being one of those labels that really dose their artists long but i'm sure DMX had a reason 2 say that. L.L. did say this when 10 came out...he said that they were paying him on the contract that he signed back in 1985 and realistically, they owe him millions. But since he never fought 2 get his contract modifyed, he just kept getting paid the way he waz back in 1985. And as u can imajin, conctracts aren't done that way anymore...ha ha. L.L. loveds Def Jam and Hip-Hop so it never really bothered him that much. That shows that he's truly an artist who loves his music, his culture, and his fans...and that's what a true artist is all about in my opinion.

I thought he waz gonna leave Def Jam after 10 cuz he contract waz finally filled, but i've heard things that make it sound like he's gonna stay there and get a new contract.

A little off topic but I don't think I need to make a new thread for it. Slick Rick is supposed to be in the next Def Jam Vendetta game.

Back on topic. I'm glad Will is done with the two labels. They were making bad decisons. I hope he finds a good label soon.

God Blessa!

I think Jive did okay...after all, they loaded their past 2 albums down with 3 singles and videos each. However, we are looking at Jive with 2days standards which make them look good. But back then they were a lil' shady in different ways. Think about it, all their artists are on different labels. Smooth, Aaliyah, Fu-Schnickens, Shaquille O'Neal, Public Announcement, Q-Tip, Phife as solo artists, and Ali Shadeed all had problems and left the label (some havn't recorded since). A Tribe Called Quest looks like they will return as a group on Jive (guess they could only get off as solo artists) but i think even Too $hort left them.

When JJ+FP came out with "Parents Just Don't Understand"...it blew their fame out of this world and Jive wanted them 2 be the Rap Pop stars...which wazn't what JJ+FP wanted. Check and Jazzy Jeff interview and some of Will's, they often talk about how Jive wanted them 2 always do the mainstream stuff when they wanted 2 show all their sides.

I think Shaq said a couple years ago that he wasn't gonna rap again until his NBA career is over 'cause he doesn't have any time to do shows since he plays basketball all the time, but I don't think that he'll rap again 'cause he said recently that he wants to be a policeman when he retires from the NBA, he's like Will though 'cause he's multitalented. I don't think any other NBA players should try rappin' 'cause they suck at it! :kekeke: Slick Rick's gonna be in a videogame? That's dope! :werd:

• Admin
[quote=DevilsJim89,Jun 4 2004, 12:53 PM][quote=TheFre$hPrince,Jun 4 2004, 08:42 AM] C.R.E.A.M. is all I´m sayin to this topic.[/quote]
huh?

[/quote]
cash rules everything around me

yeah j records atleast seem to be a little more progressive and seem to back their artists.. not sure if they are that good on the promotion though..they wouldnt be the worst thats 4 sure...

Ain't Alicia Keys on J Records, she gets good promotion, but I don't think the rappers Busta Rhymes and Wyclef Jean did that well with their albums on J Records. :dunno: