BET Awards

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Performances Steal BET Awards Spotlight

By RYAN PEARSON

Associated Press Writer

LOS ANGELES - Stevie Wonder showed off his dance moves, Will Smith arrived in a horse-drawn carriage and The Fugees got together again. Extravagant performances and on-stage antics largely stole the spotlight from the winners at Tuesday night's BET Awards - if the winners showed up at all, that is.

Among the eight no-shows was top honoree Kanye West, who earned trophies for male hip-hop artist and video of the year for his "Jesus Walks."

West's discovery, piano man John Legend, picked up his trophy for new artist and performed "Ordinary People" and "My Cherie Amour" with Wonder, who later danced while singing his new single, "So What The Fuss."

Soul diva Alicia Keys hoisted her award for female R&B artist toward the audience and declared: "This is for all my people who are really trying to dream big dreams."

Others who did show included soon-to-disband Destiny's Child, named best group, and 19-year-old Atlanta singer Ciara, the leading nominee who won for her dance collaboration with Missy Elliott on "1, 2 Step."

The show kicked off with a surprise reunion of The Fugees, who haven't recorded an album together since 1996's "The Score" and haven't even been on speaking terms in recent years.

"If you want another Fugee album, let me see your hands in the air right now," Wyclef Jean said after climbing into the crowd. The group performed "Ready Or Not" and put a reggae twist on "Fu-Gee-La."

Lauryn Hill, who had largely dropped out of public view since her 2002 live album, sounded weak at first, saying at one point, "We got a little overzealous in rehearsal." Her voice returned in time for a rendition of "Killing Me Softly With His Song."

Backstage, third member Pras said the group was in the studio and hoped to release an album next year. The Fugees split after "egos got real big," he said, adding that there were "a lot of wounds ... getting healed right now."

Hosts Mr. and Mrs. Smith - that's Will and Jada Pinkett - arrived on-stage at Hollywood's Kodak Theatre in a horse-drawn carriage with spinning custom rims.

Jamie Foxx won the award for best actor, and though he wasn't on stage he had recorded an audio message to presenter Tom Cruise, saying: "I'm jumping up and down on the couch right now in my room."

Denzel Washington's wife Pauletta accepted an award honoring the couple's charitable endeavors, and Keys presented R&B and gospel legend Gladys Knight with a lifetime achievement trophy.

"Every record that you bought and every concert ticket that you paid for has allowed me to be in this spot today," said Knight, who wore a pink jacket with feathery flourishes on the sleeves.

Knight then performed three songs including the tune that got her and the Pips their first Grammy, "Neither One Of Us (Wants To Be The First To Say Goodbye)."

Winners of the fifth annual awards show were decided by a panel of executives from entertainment companies, record labels and the media, except the viewers' choice award in which fans voted online for their favorite video.

Some questions if anyone can answer them that'd be appreciated.

At the beginning where this african music plays this guy comes to announce will and jada, what was he saying ? couldnt understand it, our host is will and jada something then he screams biiiiiiiii was he going for big willie and referring how BIG it was orso ? he said some more things that I couldnt understand

Then when will and jada were on stage they talked about the rules, with the 3rd rule, I didnt get it, can someone explain that part ? where jada says dont thank god if you cant show or perform your work at the church, I didnt get that.

Then before the lapdance thing a guy from the podium says something towards jada and will reacts, then will does a impression of ALI, what does he say there ?

Thanks

Will and Jada did a great job hosting the show. The lap dance was absolutely hilarious. That horse drawn cart with the spinners was cool, as was the part when he said that the show was on time because white people were working backstage. It was nice when someone in the crowd was yelling and he was like, "You ain't never seen Ali!" That was awesome. Overall, great job, except I am disappointed BET didn't let him perform.

Guest Guest

im guessing what she means is that if you cant even show or perform your work in church, you shouldnt be thanking god. like if its full of swearing or rapping about sex, drugs and stuff like that...

FPOBA reunion, Fugees performance(!!!!), John Legend & Stevie Wonder collaboration, and something about a lapdance involving Destiny's Child (this needs further explanation)?? How did I miss this... Lack of a Will performance notwithstanding, sounds like a pretty solid show. But alas, I was out. You guys know if/when they'll be replaying this? I suppose I could check myself, but it's so much easier to ask... :2thumbs:

He wasn't really that regular compared to those that were on stage.  He was more of a guest star

That doesn't explain geoff the butler not being there :shakehead: