JJFP reunite for 50 years of Hip Hop December 10 ×
Jazzy Jeff & Fresh Prince Forum

Will at the NBA Finals

I can't understand why some of you were disappointed to see Will perform Switch but I have even more opinions about his NBA Finals performance:

* Understand that it was San Antonio. You had a lot of corporate execs and higher ups at this game. Most of the people who were at the game are rich, older suburbanites who don't like hip-hop.

* It was still an honor for Will to open up the NBA Finals.

* Switch is a top 10 hit.

* Will Smith is a safe choice to perform at the NBA Finals and Switch is a safe song. It's probably the main reason why ABC & The NBA tapped him to open up the Finals.

* Even if Will had performed Party Starter, he would have gotten the same reaction from the crowd or maybe less. It really didn't matter which song he performed because most of the people in the crowd were older, white people who more than likely don't like hip-hop.

* We all keep talking about Party Starter and how it's going to be huge. I hate to burst bubbles but the rap industry at large has spoken and they choose to ignore and diss Will. I don't think Party Starter, like Switch and a lot of his other singles, will get play on "black radio". I hope I'm wrong but I'm just not so sure that Party Starter is going to all-of-a-sudden make people who hate on Will say, "hey he's still got it." The rap industry and the mindless youngsters have deemed Will obsolete.

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I can't understand why some of you were disappointed to see Will perform Switch but I have even more opinions about his NBA Finals performance:

* Understand that it was San Antonio.  You had a lot of corporate execs and higher ups at this game.  Most of the people who were at the game are rich, older suburbanites who don't like hip-hop.

* It was still an honor for Will to open up the NBA Finals. 

* Switch is a top 10 hit.

* Will Smith is a safe choice to perform at the NBA Finals and Switch is a safe song.  It's probably the main reason why ABC & The NBA tapped him to open up the Finals. 

* Even if Will had performed Party Starter, he would have gotten the same reaction from the crowd or maybe less.  It really didn't matter which song he performed because most of the people in the crowd were older, white people who more than likely don't like hip-hop.

* We all keep talking about Party Starter and how it's going to be huge.  I hate to burst bubbles but the rap industry at large has spoken and they choose to ignore and diss Will.  I don't think Party Starter, like Switch and a lot of his other singles, will get play on "black radio".  I hope I'm wrong but I'm just not so sure that Party Starter is going to all-of-a-sudden make people who hate on Will say, "hey he's still got it."  The rap industry and the mindless youngsters have deemed Will obsolete.

Nicely said man, yeah there probably wasn't that many rap fans there anyway so I ain't sweating that and it was nice to see him perform in the NBA Finals, we should be happy that he was selected to perform and not take that for granted, "Parter Starter"'ll be released whenever Will wants it to be released, no matter how much we cry for it to be released now.

* Even if Will had performed Party Starter, he would have gotten the same reaction from the crowd or maybe less.  It really didn't matter which song he performed because most of the people in the crowd were older, white people who more than likely don't like hip-hop.

* We all keep talking about Party Starter and how it's going to be huge.  I hate to burst bubbles but the rap industry at large has spoken and they choose to ignore and diss Will.  I don't think Party Starter, like Switch and a lot of his other singles, will get play on "black radio".  I hope I'm wrong but I'm just not so sure that Party Starter is going to all-of-a-sudden make people who hate on Will say, "hey he's still got it."  The rap industry and the mindless youngsters have deemed Will obsolete.

I'm personally glad that Will got the opportunity to perform on such a large stage, however, I feel that it was a slightly wasted opportunity. Here's why. Basketball games, especially the NBA finals, are broadcast all around the world. It is one of the biggest stages and forms of publicity anyone can get at any one time. The audience is not only limited to the people in the stadium, but is truely worldwide, so when you have an opprotunity like that, it's prudent to milk it for all it's worth. However, when you have a new single that's coming out in a few weeks, and choose instead to perform a single that most people have heard already, that has been out for three and a half months... expect fans to be slightly disappointed. Now no one is blaming Will, at least I'm not. I'm almost certain that ABC asked him to specifically perform Switch... so that's fine, but that's not going to stop me from wishing he had performed at least part of party starter. The kind of exposure you can get for a new single from a performance in the NBA finals or any other giant sporting event is immense. People will be checking for it if they think it's hot... (and Party Starter is certifiably hot). Shows will call you up to perfrom on their shows if they see an agreeable response to what you do. All in all, bottom line, it just provides more publicity... and with boadcasts worldwide... I should say 'a lot more publicity' for Party Starter and ultimately, Lost and Found.

My thing is, what's the point of doing Switch for it's popularity if the crowd doesn't get into it and if the performance is hackneyed. I would have perferred that he had come with something fresh.

About Party Starter being huge... I've lurked around other messageboards and forums and the consensus is that it is a "summer banger." This is from Will lovers, haters, and the lukewarm alike. The vast majority of people think that the track is hot, that the beat is tight, that the lyrics are on point and that Will came extremely correct on this track. People, other than us, are talking about remixes, about putting it on summer mixtapes and the like, so this isn't just the people at jjfp.com and some of the sane people over at lorretaville hoping that the track does well. Look how well Switch has done. Does anyone really think that Switch will have done better than Party Starter when Party Starter's run is over? That is highly unlikely. People are talking about Party Starter, there's a buzz, and there's nothing black radio can do about it. There was certainly nothing they could do about Switch as it got quite a number of requests on black radio. There's no reason to belive the same and even greater achievements won't come to Party Starter.

Edited by MaxFly

Yeah the tickets for the floor seat $6-5000 a little high from the floor $2-1600. Hell in the nose bleed section it was about $200 or don't 4get the parking pass $50.