JJFP reunite for 50 years of Hip Hop December 10 ×
Jazzy Jeff & Fresh Prince Forum

will lets his kids listen to rap

SMITH ALLOWS CHILDREN TO LISTEN TO GANGSTA RAP

WILL SMITH is happy to let his young children listen to gangsta rap - as long as the swear words are taken out.

The SWITCH rapper, who prides himself on using clean lyrics in his tracks, admits his three children are allowed to listen to whatever they want - as long as the cursing is removed.

He tells BLENDER magazine, "I don't shield my kids from any of that stuff. They listen to everything.

"But they do all the clean versions. You can go on the iTUNES music store and download clean versions of everything."

20/05/2005 19:35

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

SMITH ALLOWS CHILDREN TO LISTEN TO GANGSTA RAP

WILL SMITH is happy to let his young children listen to gangsta rap - as long as the swear words are taken out.

The SWITCH rapper, who prides himself on using clean lyrics in his tracks, admits his three children are allowed to listen to whatever they want - as long as the cursing is removed.

He tells BLENDER magazine, "I don't shield my kids from any of that stuff. They listen to everything.

"But they do all the clean versions. You can go on the iTUNES music store and download clean versions of everything."

20/05/2005 19:35

Why shouldn`t he?I think that`s completly normal...

makes sense to me, my parents are the same way. the only concern i would have is that his young ones can still pick up stuff they don't need to hear about, but knowing Will's kid, they're not gonna translate what they hear in2 how they act, if that makes sense

Where is that from? I'm just curious.

I agree with what he's doing. After all, i waz listening 2 N.W.A. and stuff like that when i waz about 10. Edited versions of CDs weren't as common back then (since not every artist waz really pathetic and purposely over-cussed on every album).

Whenever i have one of my friends' kids in the car, i'd never play anything explict. Most of the stuff i own is edited anyway.

I personally don't see nothin' wrong wit Will sayin' that 'cause he's a caring father and would tell his kids that music is just entertainment but I find it kinda odd that he'd say this after sayin' a few years ago in an interview:

"Why is it so important to keep it clean?

-To me theirs two issues. Number one rap music like movies is not kept away from children. There's not the ratings system to keep them from certain sections of the store. Rap music, people can act like its not, but rap music is for kids. You know its completely directed at children and impressionable minds and I just think it's dangerous to pump that kind of cavalier misogyny and hatred in young minds. A big part of it is a lot of the artists that are doing it are young too. You know so their people that haven't even really developed their point of view of life and are thrust into a position where their role models and their up on stage and can rile people up to do things and I got kids I don't want em listening to that trash."

On that note though most parents don't care if their kids listen to explicit versions of the albums and that's when there's a big problem, so Will's doing the right thing by letting his kids listen to edited versions of albums, but they're gonna gradually hear cursing anyway so I don't see the difference, as long as you raise your kid right it's all good! :blabla:

Edited by bigted

yeah the kids are gonna hear cussing in life eventually, but i agree for now have them just listen to clean versions. the only thing is that when u listen 2 edited versions u can still pick up violence and drugs, because that kinda stuff isnt always edited out.

Yeah raising your kids the right way is the main thing, as Ted said... I mean, you can't shelter them from what these artists are saying-- not forever, anyways... and really, although the edited versions are probably more proper for younger kids, they know EXACTLY what words should be filling in the blanked out silent spots, and the messages, sometimes hateful, are evident with or without curses... the bottom line is, you hafta be able to understand what the messages are and... well, forget it :blabla: I'm gonna start rambling incoherently but yeah the main thing is that ppl are brought up well, and then they can interpret and appreciate music on different levels and understand what's right and wrong and so on and there are no problems, right? right :thumb:

Edited by scyhigh99

It doesn't bother me one bit. I have always listen to hardcore gangstya rap since I was 5yrs old. My mom n dad use to let me stay up to watch "Def Comedy Jam". But I assume that Will's kids are smart enough to know that it's just music n not to act out what they hear. Not to mention that type of music is only one side of hiphop music. I'm sure that Will let's his kids hear all the sides to hiphop. That's what I get from Will's new album Lost n Found it's a blend of the new skool n ol' skool rhymes n beats. So I guess Will provides them with a good mix. :angel: