JJFP reunite for 50 years of Hip Hop December 10 ×
Jazzy Jeff & Fresh Prince Forum

looks like Willl is gettin back into films

I kinda understand what Frenetic is saying. Correct me if I'm wrong Frenetic. Switch is getting played around the world, and it's high on a number of music charts around the world, but it just doesn't have that "huge hit" feel of a hit that something like Usher's "Yeah", Outkast's "Hey Ya" or even "Candy Shop" has. You can kind of see this in album sales. The singles numbers, though good, seem to be misleading when we relate them to Lost and Found sales.

But here's my take on things. If Switch is a "huge hit" all over the world, it should be helping album sales all over the world. It doesn't make sense that Switch is high on the singles charts all over the world, yet Lost and Found is lower than it should be on the corresponding album charts. Lost and Found has only been out for a little over a month. It's quite possible that though the singles numbers are high over the world, and though Switch is a hit, it may not be as big a hit as the numbers imply. Why else did the album not sell as well in this 4th week as we would expect it to?

The only answer that I have is that in the US at least, it was an anomaly. It was raining for the better part of the week and people just didn't feel like going to the record shops and what have you. But if this is the case, I expect record sales for next week to increase or stay constant. Regardless, we went from a 1% decrease last week to a 32% decrease this week. Time for a new single.

Edited by MaxFly

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think I saw "Switch" played about 10 times on TV in the last 2 months, with "Candy Shop" getting airplay 10 times a day sometimes in that span, but I guess TV doesn't control everything as much as we believe it does, since everywhere Will goes to perform, peeps show him love, he's an international star, I don't think a world tour would have a hard time selling out. :poke: Maybe some of us could post over at the Will Smith board and ask if they're working on "Tell Me Why" video or preparing a tour, maybe the moderators might know.

Edited by bigted

I think I saw "Switch" played about 10 times on TV in the last 2 months, with "Candy Shop" getting airplay 10 times a day sometimes in that span, but I guess TV doesn't control everything as much as we believe it does, since everywhere Will goes to perform, peeps show him love, he's an international star, I don't think a world tour would have a hard time selling out. :poke: Maybe some of us could post over at the Will Smith board and ask if they're working on "Tell Me Why" video or preparing a tour, maybe the moderators might know.

If Switch got even half the sort of play Candy Shop got on the music television networks... it would definitely be a huge hit. Visual advertising is the best kind of advertising. Will gets the love when people see him, but the problem is that most of the time, people don't see him. Lets hope that changes soon.

Lol, Ted stays talking about a JJFP tour... :kekeke:

I kinda understand what Frenetic is saying. Correct me if I'm wrong Frenetic. Switch is getting played around the world, and it's high on a number of music charts around the world, but it just doesn't have that "huge hit" feel of a hit that something like Usher's "Yeah", Outkast's "Hey Ya" or even "Candy Shop" has. You can kind of see this in album sales. The singles numbers, though good, seem to be misleading when we relate them to Lost and Found sales.

But here's my take on things. If Switch is a "huge hit" all over the world, it should be helping album sales all over the world. It doesn't make sense that Switch is high on the singles charts all over the world, yet Lost and Found is lower than it should be on the corresponding album charts. Lost and Found has only been out for a little over a month. It's quite possible that though the singles numbers are high over the world, and though Switch is a hit, it may not be as big a hit as the numbers imply. Why else did the album not sell as well in this 4th week as we would expect it to?

The only answer that I have is that in the US at least, it was an anomaly. It was raining for the better part of the week and people just didn't feel like going to the record shops and what have you. But if this is the case, I expect record sales for next week to increase or stay constant. Regardless, we went from a 1% decrease last week to a 32% decrease this week. Time for a new single.

That's what i mean... you don't hear people having switch as their cellphone ringers , singing it in public and so on..

Well actually, we reallu don't know how much switch has sold. It could have sold much, but also pretty little, depending on how much other singles are selling... i mean if the n.1 is selling 50 000 a week, the two could be selling 20k a week..and so on...

And i'm with big ted on this on two, he shouldn't have problems, cause ven though his last albums didn't sell so much, he's still a legend and people show him love, kinda like madonna, kylie, destinys child etc.

I know people that doesn't even listen to hiphop that would go to see him just too see the worlds most famous male actor or just the man who wrote the best summersong (or the best song ever).

edit: and yeah, we should get in contact with overbrooke or sumthin.

Edited by Frenetic

Hey I made a post on Will's board asking for a new single comin' out, everybody here should post to show interest, keep this on the front page ahead of the silly topics since this is important:

http://www.willsmith.com/message/thread.cf..._id=6771&page=1

Will better hook me up with some tickets when he does tour 'cause I've been promoting him pretty hard on my freetime. :kekeke:

James Brown never makes videos anymore but his tour last year was one of the highest selling tours of the year and Will's the hardest workin' man of showbuisiness in this generation so he could get the same kinda love doing a tour, I don't see him slowing down either, those guys don't seem human to me, I wanna know what vitamins they take. :afro:

Edited by bigted

Lol, will should probably hook all of us up with free tickets.

• Admin

Frenetic you seriously have no idea what you are talking about.. the people determine whether a song is a hit not radio stations..the sales of switch have been huge..its been no #1 on itunes..and in the top 20 all over the world..switch is a worldwide hit whether you want to admit it or not

• Members

my suggestion is will should do a tour quickly, he has 2 months (june and july: summer!). i don't know if tihs is gonna hamper his tour 'cause this is blockbuster movie period. ironically, will don't have any summer blockbuster this year!

however, this film could solidify Will's acting career and remove that toga of being a box office draw who only kills aliens and saves the world in the end. i personally am sick of those films and if Will nails this one right he might just be taken seriously in Hollywood. actors are more respected for critical roles and sensible films than blockbuster movies that just make money.

and finally, i think the younger your chances of winning an oscar the better. jamie foxx has risen from that 'funny guy' to a very sought after actor and more food for thought: people spend money to see will's films, he's the #1 bankable star in the world with movies being produced for him (tonite he comes) but they don't spend money on his music. so it means people prefer him as an actor than a musician. what d'yall think?

• Admin

"All you see that you see when you seeing me, you ain’t seeing all to be seen

Cause there’s more for you to see than when you see me on the scene in my

media machine"

dude a music fan is different to a movie fan.. movie fans like seeing Will playing different characters and entertainin them.. music fans like Will the person, his thoughts on life, and who he is..

the people that "prefer him as an actor compared to a musician" id say 95% of them havent even got all his albums so they dont even know what Will is as a musician or what he's capable of..

OK, does anyone have album sales info for their respective countries? I'm talking about indepth information. Where is Lost and Found selling compared to other hip hop and R&B albums. Where is Lost and Found selling period. Are sales falling or rising. It's quite possible that people are just buying switch singles and not buying the Lost and Found album. It's also quite possible that people are connecting Switch with Hitch and not with Lost and Found. I've read as such in a number of reviews.

• Admin

hey MaxFly sales around the world are different.. people will buy more singles.. but you need 2 or 3 singles for people to go out and buy the albums.. they need to see more songs to encourage them..at this stage they'll just be getting the single

I'd just like him to do music for the next year or two. Drop another album...

God Blessa!

That's a bit much if you mean nonstop. That means 2 or three years without a new movie...

Will can still record inbetween films... perhaps even inbetween shooting... I'm content with that.

Well I'm not. Will can do whatever he wants, but I want him to do less movies and more music. Lost and Found is a great album, so I want more. I can take L&F with me anywhere. I can take I, Robot with me anywhere, and I don't want to, to be honest.

I'd like another album before another movie. If Will just keeps going in and out of music then his name doesn't stay in the minds of people when they think about music. Fact is that the people on these boards who have been a community together for years have waited for years in between album after album. So of course I wanna see an album right after an album. Instead of the juggling that I'm so used to seeing.

God Blessa!

Frenetic you seriously have no idea what you are talking about.. the people determine whether a song is a hit not radio stations..the sales of switch have been huge..its been no #1 on itunes..and in the top 20 all over the world..switch is a worldwide hit whether you want to admit it or not

The explain this to me man: Why don't you even hear about switch on the streets, in the internet, while you with your homies? Why is Maxfly the only one getting my point with making an impact thing? I don't give a **** if switch has sold alot (SOMETHING WE DON'T EVEN KNOW, BECAUSE WE HAVEN'T SEEN THE FIGURES!!)

I could have sold not too many copies, but still land in the top 5 cause of other sales. Think a bit harder then y'all doing, see beyond the fact you're fans and gotta support, cause that's something that's pretty certain we all gotta do. But when you analyze the situation, u gotta take setbacks. Switch isn't a song that's gonna be rememberd when they sum up the year. Switch isn't getting hype person to person, switch is selling alot (again, probably selling alot) because of he got loyal fans. And Fans don't care if he's on MTV or Hot97. They'll buy what's out. BUT, when you release a song that's purpose is being huge, you gotta reach outside the fans and to the people just buying whatever they see on tv or radio. AND that's where switch is lacking and that's why Lost And Found has had a slow start. Switch are making number, but no hype. And i'd rather see switch ten times on MTV then on the charts, casue tv & radio play control album sells.

That's knowledge straight outta the musicbiz.

Will should have released partystarter as first single, and had switch taken of the album, then you would have HUGE hit (cause partystarter is probably having more of an hype on the tsreets then switch has, being on several mixtapes) and you would have the albums maybe weakest track gone. Will did wrong, everybody makes mistakes. Will has made few, this was one of them (other one was starring in Wild Wild West =).