Will Smith Drops New Freestyle! Read more... ×
Jazzy Jeff & Fresh Prince Forum
Sign in to follow this  
djgj20

Jay-Z giving props to Will?

On the Black Album on "What More Can I say," Jay-Z twice says he's "willie" meaning flashy, has cash etc. In one line he says, "Lemme spell it for you W-I-Double L-I-E, nobody truer than H-O-V." What I'm wondering is, was the term "willie" around in rap before will made his 1996/97 comeback? Or do you guys think this term came about because of Will?

Edited by djgj20

Willie wasn't as widespread in the US however. Perhaps in the UK and Europe...lol, but the meaning is totally different there... Let me dig up the black album and give it a listen...

Edited by MaxFly

I'm pretty sure the term Willie was around before BWS came out! i remember Will talking about this in an interview and explaining this! but I cant remember where I read/saw this!

Chuck D released a song called "Free Big Willie" on his "Mistachuck" album in '96, I don't think that has nothin' to do with FP. :kekeke: A lot of rappers used that term big willie back in the mid-90s, I really don't hear too many rappers using that term now, they use "bling bling" and "crunk" more now.