JJFP reunite for 50 years of Hip Hop December 10 ×
Jazzy Jeff & Fresh Prince Forum

NEW WILL SMITH ALBUM NEWS!!

• Admin
[quote=the real big willie,May 16 2004, 03:50 PM][quote=TheFre$hPrince,May 15 2004, 01:10 PM] He is looking 4 a major deal I believe[/quote]
But why, it's not as if he really need the money is it? [/quote]
i doubt it would be about money..but more about how many album deal..what control he has..how much they would be able to put into promotion etc

The cool thing about Will getting on a good label is that we'll probably hear alot more music (better music). When he waz on Columbia, i don't think he had much of a drive 2 do music simply cuz they had 2 much control and were way 2 much about the business, money, and fame. Of course Will dosen't mind that either, but Columbia didn't care about his art...only his sales. With the right label, we could see alot more music from Will without such huge gaps between albums...not 2 mention more cameos on other people's trax.

[quote=the real big willie,May 16 2004, 03:50 PM][quote=TheFre$hPrince,May 15 2004, 01:10 PM] He is looking 4 a major deal I believe[/quote]
But why, it's not as if he really need the money is it? [/quote]
It´s not about the money, its like the others said. Worldwide promotion + distribution, full control about which tracks should make it on his album and which make it as single. That would be the main aspects to consider I guess.

Control over the music has nothing 2 do with big label vs. independent label. The control of the artist will vary from label 2 label no matter what the label is. The real reason 2 be on a big label is properly have your album promoted so that the artist themselve isn't doing ALL the work and putting ALL their own money up front. The bigger the label, the more copies of the album and the more locations it'll pop up in. For instance, Britney Spears puts out her album thru' Jive, a big label, and each music store will have like 100 copies of it on the shelves and on display. Jazzy Jeff releases his album on BBE, an independent label and u find about 5 copies of the album in music stores, and NO COPIES of it department stores. Of course that's not the best kind of example cuz they are 2 different kinds of artists from 2 different kinds of music and with 2 different kinds of fanbases...but that kinda sums it up.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...