JJFP reunite for 50 years of Hip Hop December 10 ×
Jazzy Jeff & Fresh Prince Forum

new heavy d

Hero1

• Admin
okay first the good news: heavy d has a new album coming out..

okay now the bad news:

hes signed with bad boy :cussing: :cussing: :cussing: :cussing:

and the first single features p diddy :tear: :tear: :tear: :tear: :tear:

... I think also da only LP I own (blue funk) had Puff Daddy as itz executive producer! ok, but da most trackz are produced by Pete Rock and Premier...
however, don't panic... 4 example Craig Mack is at da Bad Boy camp, but I like a few of his songs. What does not mean dat I like Bad boy... they were one of those guys, who started 2 exploit Hip Hop totaly in da mid 90ies. In their eyes, itz all about money, but it isn't!

Yeah!! I know he waz working on a new album but havn't heard anything about it in 4ever. It dosen't really bug me that he's on Bad Boy b-cuz Puffy waz behind alot of the Uptown music...which Heavy waz a part of (later becoming the head of Uptown). Heavy D is an established artist, he's been in the game for nearly 20 years so i don't think Bad Boy really has the power 2 mess with his image that much (the same reason i'm not 2 upset that New Edition is signed with Bad Boy). I can't wait 4 the new album, i have faith that Heavy stands by music and that it can't get any worse than Big Willie Style waz for FP.

Bring it on...Hip-Hop needs Heavy D!! If anybody wants 2 get caught up on Heavy D, check his Greatest Hits album Heavy Hitz (the 'millenium' version of dosen't do his career justice).

What happened to New Edition? A couple years ago Michael Bivans was on Soul Train wit his group B.B.D. and mentioned that a 20th anniversary album for New Edition was gonna drop in 2003 but it never did! What happened, are they retired? :dunno: It's also been a long time since Heavy D released anything, I didn't know that he was rapping still! You're right AJ, Hip-Hop needs Heavy D back again. :rock:

New Edition has had crazy business problems. BBD wanted out of their label deal..which is why they didn't release an album from between 1993 until 2001 when they finally got off MCA (cuz labels will dump u if u don't relase anything). MCA put out the BBD "Greatest Hits" album 2 help fulfill their contracts...next thing u know they put a new album on Biv Ten (which waz dope, but over-looked). Bobby Brown has released a studio album since 1997 (his Greatest Hits album waz put 2gether by his label...like BBDs). Johnny Gill hasn't released an album in 4ever either (other than 2 Greatest Hits albums). Ralph Tresvant hasn't released anything in 10 years!! As a group, the label kept releasing greatest hits albums (even tho' NE's GH album waz released in 1990ish). They released "NE: Solo Hits", NE "Lost In Love - a collection of their group and solo ballads, and Number Ones - featuring group and solo number one singles.

In 2002, they planned a new album and documentary but it never happened. Label problems i assume. It's a shame 2 cuz their 1996 album "Home Again" is a classic...one of my favorite albums of all time. They signed 2 Bad Boy in 2002ish and did a special on BET (without Bobby Brown). Either way, we know the album is on the way.

2 months ago they released another greatest hits album called NE: The Hits. I ordered it and should have gotten it by now. I'm sure it'll be kinda weird tho' cuz it has the early kiddie stuff like "Cool It Now" on it AND the new stuff like "Hit Me Off." The pic on the front waz from the 1996ish era where they are all grown up and on the back it says 2 rewind back the 1st track 2 a "special message" from Biv and NE. That's gonna be the only new thing on it so i'm hyped 2 see what it is.

BACK 2 HEAVY D THO'....
His last album "Heavy" waz really good but slept on. "On Point" waz a dope song but the album had better trax on it then that. It came out the same day as the Wild Wild West soundtrack (so i ended up spending more than i planned that day). Heavy D has stayed busy tho'...he produced "Breezy" on BBD's last album AND "Got Luv 4 Ya" on Timbaland + Magoo's last album (both really good trax). He also had a small part in the Martin Lawrence / Eddie Murphy movie LIFE. I can't wait 4 this new album. It may be kinda weird that he's on Bad Boy, but i also look at it like this...he's a dope, creative, positive Hip-Hop artist...and he's on a label that is well known and can promote him well.

• Admin
Heavy D. Signs Unique Deal With Bad Boy, Preparing New Album
By Dove and Nolan Strong
Date: 5/12/2004 5:50 PM

Heavy D set the mic aside for acting, but now the veteran emcee is returning to the game and has signed with Sean "P. Diddy" Combs' Bad Boy label.

In a ground breaking deal, the Mount Vernon bred rapper/actor will receive 100 percent of the profits from his Bad Boy release, after the label recoups costs for producing the yet-to-be titled album, his first since 1999's Heavy.

"Puff and I been friends forever, were family," Heavy D. told AllHipHop.com. "He gave me the most incredible deal. We had talks about it over the years. Honestly, I have never heard of a deal like this."

Heavy said that he felt the timing in the rap industry was right for him to come back out. "The kind of music that I'm doing is gonna fit. I'm in a space where I'm doing Hip-Hop, but it's sexy."

"The Birthday Song" is already picking up steam after being leaked to various radio stations across the United States. The album is still in production and Heavy has enlisted the production talents of Puff, Warren Campbell, Mike City and Tony Dofat.

Meanwhile, Heavy will continue to hone his acting skills and shed 160 pounds in order to increase the diversity of roles he can play.

"It was time on the acting side," Heavy said. "I can't limit myself to one kind of role if I want to be taken serious in other genres of acting."

And how did he manage to lose such a staggering amount of weight?

"I did it the old fashioned way, working out twice a week, boxing, doing cardio, monitoring what I eat. I wasn't on a crash diet and I did it right."

And acting is something that Heavy, who has a recurring role on "The Tracy Morgan Show," said he would continue to pursue in addition to his first career as a rapper.

"Puff and I are talking about doing a sitcom together. There's a couple of scripts that Dame Dash is interested in casting me in. I also have a cameo appearance in Will Smith's new movie, 'The Last First Kiss' so things are good."

The untitled album is tentatively scheduled for a Fall release date

Thanx 4 posting that....i just love Heavy D and i think it's time he drop that album soon. Legends like him need 2 plan a chart wipe-out in Hip-Hop 2 see if they can save it. Heavy can drop his, a month later, Queen Latifah can put her's out, a month later FP can drop his, and a month later L.L. can drop his album he's doin' with Timbaland.

The deal he got sounds really good. If he's getting ALL the profits, it's also probably cuz he had total creative control. I'm happy 2 hear he's taking care of himself 2.

1st FP has Heavy do a cameo on The Fresh Prince of Bel-Air...now he's got a cameo in his new movie...ha ha.