worst review ever

Hero1

• Admin

http://www.diamondbackonline.com/vnews/dis...9/4248e1b6c6440

Sorry Willie

Rapper-turned-actor-turned-rapper drops it like it's cold with Lost & Found

By Ricky Ribeiro

March 29, 2005

Certain things are simply unnecessary: Ashlee Simpson and a live microphone, Michael Jackson and rhinoplasty and Will Smith and his music career. As an actor and a comedian, Smith has proven more than once he’s capable of giving recognition-worthy performances. We love The Fresh Prince of Bel-Air and we pack theaters to watch his blockbusters (Independence Day, I, Robot), but we stopped caring about his music long ago.

Smith is one of those rare instances of musician-turned-actor who turns out to be better at his second job than his first. We appreciate Smith’s work in the 1980s with DJ Jazzy Jeff: Together they crafted goodies like “Summertime” and “Parents Just Don’t Understand.” Hell, even that theme song to The Fresh Prince of Bel-Air is pretty classic too — but enough’s enough. We’ve suffered through Big Willie Style, Willenium, Born to Reign and now Lost and Found. Will, end this before somebody gets hurt.

Smith tries to make it personal on Lost & Found: He inserts his children, Sept. 11 and his struggle with being a “clean” rapper. It’s an attempt to come off as an artist pouring out his heart. The problem is we never get that; instead he just sounds patronizing and pretentious. The most egregious offense belongs to the track where Will rap/sings (suspiciously like Nelly) with Mary J. Blige about the world’s problems (psst, Jadakiss did a better job of this with “Why”).

Smith spends a portion of the album crying a river about how the black community and urban music scene shun him because he’s clean and doesn’t curse in his verses.

On “Mr. Nice Guy” he addresses all his haters: “People dissing Will sat on a wall/ People dissing Will had a great fall/ All the king’s horses and all the king’s men/ Couldn’t put none of their careers together again.” And this is exactly the problem — he sounds so corny it’s too hard to take him seriously — I mean, he just recited Humpty Dumpty.

As far as Mother Goose goes, it’s hard to say she’d be so hot on Smith featuring Snoop Dogg in a career-low cameo on “Pump Ya Brakes,” a song talking about how men and women need to be patient and more courteous toward one another. Mind you, Snoop is on this song after just putting out an album including a song called “Can U Control Yo Hoe.” It’s like Sesame Street inviting Kobe Bryant to teach kids that “No, means no.”

The one song on the album that works in some way is first single “Switch.” The Timbaland-biting beat is vivid and energetic enough to bypass some of Will’s colorless rhymes and will work as a fine party-starter at a nearby 10-year-old’s birthday party. If Smith is smart this will be the last album we hear from him. He’d make a fine artist on the next edition of Kidz Bop, but other than that, see you at the movies, Will.

(psst, Jadakiss did a better job of this with “Why”)

:hilarious:

Pretty much laughing at the whole article, but this part, lol, dudes was just playing himself there. When this album sells like crazy and "Tell Me Why" blows up, which it will, dude may be out of a job.

Why would niggaz push pounds and powder

Why did bush knock down the towers

-------------------------------------------------------------

Why they come up wit the witness protection

Why they let the terminator win the election

Did he not listen to "Why"? I don't care what your political alignment or beliefs are, your IQ level, etc.. Jadakiss asked some of the most ignorant questions I've heard in a rap song.

Just on that tip, his whole article is suspect. Wow, I don't even want to have to demolish this guy's review word by word... on this forum. He's going to get that from me in an e-mail as soon as I find out his e-mail address. Trust

Lol, and here's what I wrote as a response to him... You know me, I try to keep it polite.

Lol. Dawg, here's hoping to you still having a job in a few weeks. I'm not sure what CD you listened to, or what version of the tracks you heard, but I've never seen a review this way off, this wrong, and just plain ignorant, period. What really got me is that comment about Jadakiss's "Why" being better than "Tell Me Why" on this album. I'm not sure when the last time you heard that joint was, so it's quite likely you've forgotten some of the lyrics, but I suggest that you go search online and check out the lyrics. Just your one comment on "Why" makes your whole review suspect. I would dismantle everything you said in this review line by line, but you're sounding like some of these 10 year old kids who think they know about hip hop because they know the hook to "rappers delight," and you're probably 3 times that age, so I'll save you the read and politely ask you to go back to reviewing Lil Jon joints. Enjoy that.

Lol, and here's what I wrote as a response to him... You know me, I try to keep it polite.

Lol. Dawg, here's hoping to you still having a job in a few weeks. I'm not sure what CD you listened to, or what version of the tracks you heard, but I've never seen a review this way off, this wrong, and just plain ignorant, period. What really got me is that comment about Jadakiss's "Why" being better than "Tell Me Why" on this album. I'm not sure when the last time you heard that joint was, so it's quite likely you've forgotten some of the lyrics, but I suggest that you go search online and check out the lyrics. Just your one comment on "Why" makes your whole review suspect. I would dismantle everything you said in this review line by line, but you're sounding like some of these 10 year old kids who think they know about hip hop because they know the hook to "rappers delight," and you're probably 3 times that age, so I'll save you the read and politely ask you to go back to reviewing Lil Jon joints. Enjoy that.

:hilarious: :hilarious: :hilarious: :hilarious: THAT'S GREAT MAN!!!!!!!!!!! :hilarious: :hilarious: :hilarious: