JJFP reunite for 50 years of Hip Hop December 10 ×
Jazzy Jeff & Fresh Prince Forum

the roots new compilation

Hero1

• Admin
THE ROOTS RELEASE
FIRST OKAYPLAYER RECORDS ALBUM
'TRUE NOTES VOL. 1' MAY 18

-Album to feature new music from underground sensations Little Brother, Jean Grae, Dilated Peoples, Hieroglyphics and Skillz and more -

-Winners of Okayplayer unsigned artist contest announced -

-Okayplayer May tour kicks off May 1 in Boston -

The Roots will spend the month of May bringing attention to the hottest underground and up-and-coming artists in the Hip-Hop scene even as they prepare to release their own forthcoming album, 'The Tipping Point' (Geffen - July 13). 'True Notes, Vol 1,' the first album from the Roots' newly formed independent label Okayplayer Records, will be released May 18. . Okayplayer Records is a partnership with Decon and Red Distribution.

The Roots hand-picked the artists on the album and tour, including The Chapter and Nicolay & Supastition, unsigned artists who entered the band's talent search through their website, Okayplayer.com.

Executive produced by Roots founding drummer ?uestlove, the 19 track-collection is a gathering of artists who The Roots say will be a part of the next movement in Hip-Hop. In addition to new artists, discover new and innovative music from established underground favorites Skillz who is featured on the first single "Take It Back," along with Jean Grae, Little Brother, Dialated Peoples and Blackalicious.

'True Notes' marks an expansion of The Roots' ongoing mission to support new artists. With the Okayplayer site and its community of devoted fans, the band has already helped to spark the careers of Eve, Erykah Badu, Common, Jill Scott, Cody Chestnutt and more.

The establishment of Okayplayer Records broadens the Okayplayer brand, which started as a website founded in 1999 by ?uestlove. The site also launched the first in a series of Okayplayer concert tours in 2000.

1. ?UESTLOVE- Intro
2. ACEYALONE & MADLIB- K.O. Player
3. LITTLE BROTHER- On and On
4, DILATED PEOPLES- Okay
5. SKILLZ- Take It Back
6. JEAN GRAE- Keep Livin
7. HIEROGLYPHICS- Respect Deez
8. DICE RAW- I Do What I Like
9. NICOLAY & SUPASTITION- The Williams
10. THE ROOTS- Y'all Know Who
11. LITTLE BROTHER- Shake It
12. BLACKALICIOUS- Just What Can Happen