JJFP reunite for 50 years of Hip Hop December 10 ×
Jazzy Jeff & Fresh Prince Forum

*Official* Lost and Found Review Post

Hero1

How can people criticize Will's music, when 50 Cent is putting out music in which he cannot even keep a legitimate point or theme for more than two lines. It is absolutely an atrocity!

• Replies 259
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• Admin

[ Will Smith - Lost and Found ] 3 and a half star out of five

Interscope

I don’t care if you can’t stand Will Smith. You’re likely part of a majority who’ve formulated an opinion based on what everyone else thinks. Which is a shame, because this album shows that Will can write rhymes. Of course you won’t find a single four letter word in here – but that’s the point. This proves that it is possible to do 60 minutes of music without taking the next man down. Lost and Found is typically confrontational, like all of Will’s releases – but it’s focused and kind of sarcastic at the same time. There is everything from the soulful, the aggressive and the party on this release. It is incisive on Here he Comes, it’s pimp on Party Starter and its just brilliant on Tell me Why featuring Mary J Blige. Snoop Dogg rolls in and out on Pump ya Brakes while Loretta – well you just gotta hear it. I must admit, I expected a little less from this album and while it’s not as profound as some of the all time greats, it’s far more than goofy old Will. The Fresh Prince is shining once again – and it’s not Summertime!

Rezo

Beat Magazine

• Admin

Will Smith

Lost and Found

Interscope

The Fresh Prince became a unique star in the world of hip-hop by speaking for the other side of the streets: as the voice of brothers who like school, never thought about selling drugs, and have dinner at home with their parents. Since Yo! MTV Raps and Lady B's Street Beat till now, Smith has asserted black life isn't just poverty and ignorance.

Seventeen years after He's the DJ, I'm the Rapper, Smith releases Lost and Found, an entire CD of relevant hip-hop music. While Jazzy Jeff has never dropped the ball as a producer or DJ, Smith has spent a little too much time competing with other rappers. This time he focuses creatively on himself.

Lost and Found opens with "Here He Comes," an exciting track that samples the beats and sound effects from the original '60s Spider-Man cartoon. Smith honors the old-school rule stating that if you use a beat that well-known and loved, you absolutely have to bring hot lyrics. He pulls it off.

On this CD Smith thought about what type of music would make him happy. This formula works as well today as it did in '89. On "Mr. Niceguy" he says Wendy Williams and others who claim to report on his personal life need to get a life of their own.

But the album's hit is "Tell Me Why" with Mary J. Blige, a song about Smith's struggle to explain Sept. 11 and the war in Iraq to his son. This track is the most passionate one Smith has recorded in his career. Mary J. should get him to use his labelmate Jadakiss on the remix.

Smith's originality shines on "Ms. Holy Roller," about a friend who gets on his nerves after she finds Jesus. (Why did it take an MC so long to make this record?) What's missing is at least one track with Will Smith and Jazzy Jeff going back and forth and addressing MCs and DJs trying to do what they do. The block party-style tracks are part of what made both his first two LPs classic.

The beats here are infectious, which is good, but the album works best when Smith asserts on tracks like "Lost & Found" that hip-hop is suffering from everybody trying to out-gangsta each other.

Lost and Found depicts the life of a mature, successful and intelligent black man. It's not another CD about rich men acting like they enjoy selling drugs and hoping somebody will shoot them. Smith did a great job rebuilding on this project. Definitely find a place for Lost and Found in your collection. A- (Raymond Tyler)

Philadelphia Weekly

Will Smith

Lost and Found

Interscope

The Fresh Prince became a unique star in the world of hip-hop by speaking for the other side of the streets: as the voice of brothers who like school, never thought about selling drugs, and have dinner at home with their parents. Since Yo! MTV Raps and Lady B's Street Beat till now, Smith has asserted black life isn't just poverty and ignorance.

Seventeen years after He's the DJ, I'm the Rapper, Smith releases Lost and Found, an entire CD of relevant hip-hop music. While Jazzy Jeff has never dropped the ball as a producer or DJ, Smith has spent a little too much time competing with other rappers. This time he focuses creatively on himself.

Lost and Found opens with "Here He Comes," an exciting track that samples the beats and sound effects from the original '60s Spider-Man cartoon. Smith honors the old-school rule stating that if you use a beat that well-known and loved, you absolutely have to bring hot lyrics. He pulls it off.

On this CD Smith thought about what type of music would make him happy. This formula works as well today as it did in '89. On "Mr. Niceguy" he says Wendy Williams and others who claim to report on his personal life need to get a life of their own.

But the album's hit is "Tell Me Why" with Mary J. Blige, a song about Smith's struggle to explain Sept. 11 and the war in Iraq to his son. This track is the most passionate one Smith has recorded in his career. Mary J. should get him to use his labelmate Jadakiss on the remix.

Smith's originality shines on "Ms. Holy Roller," about a friend who gets on his nerves after she finds Jesus. (Why did it take an MC so long to make this record?) What's missing is at least one track with Will Smith and Jazzy Jeff going back and forth and addressing MCs and DJs trying to do what they do. The block party-style tracks are part of what made both his first two LPs classic.

The beats here are infectious, which is good, but the album works best when Smith asserts on tracks like "Lost & Found" that hip-hop is suffering from everybody trying to out-gangsta each other.

Lost and Found depicts the life of a mature, successful and intelligent black man. It's not another CD about rich men acting like they enjoy selling drugs and hoping somebody will shoot them. Smith did a great job rebuilding on this project. Definitely find a place for Lost and Found in your collection. A- (Raymond Tyler)

Philadelphia Weekly

I ablsoutely love this review. It encapsulates everything I've said about the album. Great review.

I've found two french reviews that I translated in english (in my imperfect english):

1/Review from "Le Nouvel Observateur" (a french magazine)

-the review in french:

Will Smith: «Lost and Found» (Interscope Records/Polydor).

Révélé au début des années 90 dans la célèbre série «Le Prince de Bel Air» sous l'oeil attentif de Quincy Jones, Will Smith continue à tisser sa toile entre hip-hop et comédie. Pas étonnant qu'il ouvre son album par un clin d'oeil avec la célèbre mélodie de «Spider Man» intitulé: «Here he comes».

Mais dès le deuxième titre «Party Starter», il nous rappelle qu'il a baigné dans le rap new-yorkais depuis sa plus tendre enfance. «Switch» garde presque la fraîcheur de l'album «Rock the house» réalisé avec DJ Jazzy Jeff, en 1987. Le son est brut, urbain, version old School, même si les propos et la voix ne sont pas agressifs.

Après «Mr. Niceguy», une sorte d'auto parodie, il retrouve sa voie avec»Lost & Found». Toutes ses bonnes intentions expliquent pourquoi le label de DR Dre et Eminem a cautionné l'opus où l'on retrouvent des pointures du rap tel Snoop dog sur «Pump Ya Brakes». La reine du R'N'B Mary J .Blige lui donne aussi la réplique sur le titre «Tell me why».

Le premier album solo de Will Smith «Big Willie style» est sorti dans les bacs en 1997. Il avait connu un gros succès populaire grâce notamment à «Men in black» le tube extrait de la bande originale du film. Depuis cette date, l'acteur a souvent interprété la BO des films dont il est la vedette principale. Avec cet opus, il renoue avec un hip-hop moins commercial

source:

http://archquo.nouvelobs.com/cgi/articles?...t.nouvelobs.com

-the same review in english:

Will Smith: "Lost and Found" (Interscope Records/Polydor).

Revealed at the beginning of 1990's in the famous series "The Prince from Bel Air" under the Quincy Jones attentive eye, Will Smith goes on weaving his linen between hip-hop and comedy. It's not surprising he opens his album by a wink with the famous melody from "Spider Man" entitled: "Here he comes".

But as early as the second track "Party Starter", he reminds us he has steeped in the rap from New-York since his infancy. "Switch" almost keeps the freshness of the album "Rock the house" realised with DJ Jazzy Jeff, in 1987. The sound is rough, urban, version old school, even if the subjects and the voice aren't agressive. After "Mr Nice Guy", a kind of self-parody, he rediscovers his road with "Lost and found". All his good intentions explain why the Dr Dre and Eminem label supported his work in which we find important rap artists like Snoop dog on "Pump Ya Brakes". The R'N'B queen Mary J Blige is also present on the track "Tell me why".

The first solo album from Will Smith "Big Willie Style" released in 1997. It had known a huge popular success notably thanks to "Men in black", the hit song from the movie original band. Since this date, the actor has often interpreted the original bands of the movies in which he is the main star. With this album, he

comes back with an hip-hop that is less commercial.

___

2/ Review (that is really very laudatory) from a french website about rap (www.rap2k.com) :

-the review in french: http://www.rap2k.com/news_13019.html

(Note:I tried to copy the article here but that doesn't work so you have to go on the site in question if you want to read the review in french...).

-the same review in english:

Lost And Found

Will Smith, published par Sagittarius

Fresh Will

It's the piece of introduction "Here he comes" on the air of the Spiderman's theme that inspired me for the introduction of my comment. Because, since the beginning, everything is said : Will Smith is the king of the feast, a cool and festive rapper, veteran of hip-hop who despises people who criticize him violently and who notes that he has forsaken hip-hop for movies, that he can't rap etc... It's not his Cesar of Honour and his millions of $ of fee that will stop him. Because what's the use of making a disc if you already earn your living well? To find your place again.

After "Party Starter", we mix then with "Switch", a hit song produced by Kwame. Contrary to his former albums, Will tests his renovated flows on some bangers at one and the same time modern, old schools almost innovative. Grilled samples be damned! The rhythm is excellent and the sounds are fresh ("I Wish I Made That/ Swagga", "If You Can't Dance (Slide)", the rock "Wave'em Off"). Of course it remains dancing rap "to live it up" but who will complain about that? We will also thank Timbaland for his participation with "Pump Ya Brakes" feat Snoop Dogg.

What will surprise some people, that's the pieces that draw from rap almost conscious. He gently puts Eminem in his place on "Mr Nice Guy", he practises "storytelling" on "Loretta" making efforts concerning writing. Mention "good" also for "Tell Me Why", reinforced by the choruses of Mary J Blige. In any case, Will Smith is brilliant and replaces things. A very good surprise from the new artist Interscope via Geffen, that a lot of people under-estimate just thinking about his name.

Incontestably, "Lost and found" remains the best solo album from Will Smith, much more personal and honest, effective and dancing that his "Big Willie Style" and his mediocre successors. Of course he won't reach the tops he already reached but listening to this disc in this period of rap surfing on the mainstream, sex and money, it makes feel very good.

The sleeve is also terrific!

Note: 14/20

----------------------------

Don't you think these both reviews are great? Not the slightest derogatory word about the album "Lost and found"!!! (and I swear I didn't falsify the translations lol). In addition, the guy who wrote the second review has also made reviews about "Big Willie Style", "Homebase" and "The Magnificient" and he gave the respective notes: 12/20 ; 15/20 and ... 20/20!!! This guy has good taste, right? Oh and what's funny is he also made a review about the album "The massacre" from 50 c**t. He gave him the note 14/20 but concludes like that (I translated) : "The audience who was expecting for a bomb will find it mediocre, contrary to people who will find it quite satisfying if they were expecting a disc without any interest. In fact, if 50 cent has lost a lot of street credibility, to sell his product is always what he does the best." (!!!) ...

Yeah, they seem like pretty solid reviews, good to see Will getting some more support.

• 4 weeks later...

A lot of reactions for the last reviews I posted!!! lol

Otherwise, I've found another (good) review about "Lost and found":

-in french:

Snoop Dogg et Mary J. Blige sont les invités d'honneur du nouvel album de l'acteur-rappeur. "Lost And Found" est beaucoup plus orienté rap que ses prédécesseurs.

Le début du nouveau millénaire ne fut pas une période bien agréable pour Will Smith au rayon musical. Après avoir essuyé un refus de la major Sony Music de signer un nouveau contrat d'enregistrement, l'artiste s'est tout bonnement tourné vers le concurrent direct, Universal Music, pour tenter de poursuivre son métier de rappeur. Il effectue donc son grand retour avec un neuvième album, "Lost And Found", qui lui a permis de réunir des artistes de renom sur la scène hip-hop et R&B américaine.

Will Smith aurait-il profité de cette nouvelle aventure pour se transformer ? On serait facilement tenté de répondre positivement à l'écoute des 15 titres de l'album (dont un remix). L'Américain semble avoir travaillé son flow et sa voix, à tel point que son rap est devenu plus mordant qu'à l'accoutumée. Son ami Jazzy Jeff, que l'on avait aperçu à ses côtés dans la série Le Prince De Bel Air, fait une nouvelle fois partie de l'aventure. L'album est travaillé et les invités (Snoop Dogg et Mary J. Blige) y réalisent de très belles performances.

source: http://www.musicactu.com/deliaGo/sorties/45616.html

-the same review in (my) english:

Snoop Dogg and Mary J. Blige are the guests of honour of the new album of the actor-rapper. "Lost And Found" is much more rap orientated than his predecessors.

The beginning of the new millenium wasn't a very agreeable period for Will Smith as far as music is concerned. After having met with a refusal from the major Sony Music for signing a new recording contract, the artist quite simply turned towards the direct competitor, Universal Music, in order to try going on with his rapper work. So he makes his big coming back with a ninth album, "Lost and found", that permited him to gather famous artists from american hip-hop and R&B.

Would Will Smith have taken advantage of this new adventure for changing? One would be easily tempted to answer positively hearing the 15 tracks of the album (that includes a remix). The American seems to have worked his flow and his voice, to such a point that his rap has become more piercing that it used to be. His friend Jazzy Jeff, that we had seen by his side in the series "The Prince from Bel-Air", is, once more, part of the adventure. The album is elaborate and the guests (Snoop Dogg and Mary J.Blige) make very beautiful performances.