Hero1

• Admin

Will Smith, Lost and Found

(Interscope)

2 stars out of five

Dorian Lynskey

Friday March 25, 2005

The Guardian

Lost and Found has been touted as the record which will reveal Will Smith's "tougher side", but who on earth is interested in Will Smith's tougher side? A likable yet limited MC, his decision to stray from his usual blend of impish party tunes and extended jingles for the latest summer blockbuster constitutes one of the most ill-advised career moves since MC Hammer went gangsta.

Smith may be a fine actor but even he can't pull off the role of surly badass. Only listeners with an unquenchable appetite for superstar self-pity will enjoy Mr Niceguy, on which he chastises Eminem and our old friends "the haters": "Sometimes y'all mistake nice for soft." At least his newfound seriousness pays off when he raises his eyes from his navel on Ms Holy Roller to bluntly compare the religious right to the 9/11 hijackers, but Lost and Found is mostly a perplexing exercise in fixing what wasn't broken. Clearly it's something he needed to get out of his system. Let's leave him to it, shall we?

• Replies 259
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Guest Irfan

hey what about "the Source"

I think that is the most important review......

I don't know but i think so......'cause here in germany i only know this magazine will be accept from most of the rappers,am I wrong?????

can somebody check it out for me.....you know better than me how it is in the USA....maybe it was my fault but i read somewhere that "the Source" is an important magazine

???

• Admin

Lost and Found has been touted as the record which will reveal Will Smith's "tougher side", but who on earth is interested in Will Smith's tougher side? A likable yet limited MC, his decision to stray from his usual blend of impish party tunes and extended jingles for the latest summer blockbuster constitutes one of the most ill-advised career moves since MC Hammer went gangsta.

Hey Dorian.. you may not know this but before men in black Will Smith was dropping quality hip hop records! but thanks for displaying your ignorance for all to see..

• Admin

New York Post

WILL SMITH - "LOST AND FOUND"

By DAN AQUILANTE

March 27, 2005 -- WILL SMITH - "Lost and Found"

3 1/2 Stars

Interscope

ON his first album since "Willennium," at the turn of the century, Will Smith returns to the mike with old-school cool that boasts without sex or violence.

He made this record because he's good at it, and when he plays music, he plays himself. Smith's best skills are with fast beats delivered with clear, staccato elocution. He isn't shy about poking fun at himself or dishing criticism about how hip-hop has failed.

In the title track, he calls rap "a circus with a bunch of clowns."

"Why" is the cream of this disc; with help from Mary J. Blige, he explains to his kid why there are so many headlines about hate. He says, "The world is kinda crazy, baby." Thank goodness there's at least one sane rapper.

• Admin

wow allmusic only gave Will 3 stars..they gave big willie style, willennium and born to reign 4

www.allmusic.com 3 stars out of five

Review by Andy Kellman

You can't help but respect Will Smith for continuing to make Will Smith albums — street cred be damned — and maintaining a semi-frequent release schedule, despite his more lucrative and demanding movie career. More than ever, despite all the hits he has racked up since the late '80s, it seems like Smith is an actor who happens to record every now and then, rather than a rapper who acts or even an actor/rapper. His previous album, 2002's Born to Reign, fell short of gold-level sales by some distance. That disappointment, combined with some blows he has taken from harder rappers and radio personalities, has made him a little bitter. This is one of the factors that makes Lost and Found the least party-oriented album Smith has made, despite a generous supply of the light-hearted, humorous songs you're accustomed to hearing from him. On "I Wish I Made That," he jokes about adopting a more-street persona in order to gain some respect ("Just ig'nant, attackin', actin' rough/I mean, then, will I be black enough?"), knowing full well that he'll always be thought of as, well, Will Smith. Smacks are dealt to a hypocritical (but not hypothetical) born-again Christian, as well as pretty much any larger-than-life MC riding high on the charts. "Tell Me Why" — in the vein of Jadakiss' "Why," only far more dramatic, with Mary J. Blige on board to expected good effect — is the most sobering song he has written, expressing how difficult it can be to explain the ugly aspects of the world to a child. Some of the playful songs are as joyously boisterious and willfully corny as anything in Smith's past, making Lost and Found an entertaining and thoughtful album for young kids and their parents to listen to and talk about.

• Admin

MSN UK

WILL SMITH 'LOST AND FOUND'Many will feel starring in blockbuster movies such as Independence Day, I Robot and Hitch disqualifies Will Smith from the rap scene. However the former Fresh Prince is having none of it. He's back and he's mean. Well, kind of.

To his credit, Smith mostly sticks to party rap such as lead single Switch. It's catchy, inoffensive and appropriately fun material for a Hollywood rapper, even if controversial gruff-voiced reggae star Elephant Man does appear on a remix.

He does get a little close to the wrong side of the tracks, notably with a guest performance from Snoop Dogg on Pump Ya Brakes while the ever soulful Mary J Blige also accepted her invitation, turning up on a track called Why. He even has an unwise little pop at Eminem in response to a diss from the star a few years ago. Will, you don't wanna go there!

Clearly Smith's flow is, to put it politely, old school. But for the most part it doesn't matter as this is an album worthy of an A-list entertainer rather than a top rapper and taken at face value it's very enjoyable.

The Sunday Mirror today, Abit annoying review really But was awarded album of the week

3/5 stars

"The man in black is back doing what he does best, and this time he's got alittle help from impressive friends including Mary J Blige and Snoop Dogg. The rhymes mite not bite like Eminem but for an old man Will's move still got some funky teeth"

MSN UK

WILL SMITH 'LOST AND FOUND'Many will feel starring in blockbuster movies such as Independence Day, I Robot and Hitch disqualifies Will Smith from the rap scene. However the former Fresh Prince is having none of it. He's back and he's mean. Well, kind of.

To his credit, Smith mostly sticks to party rap such as lead single Switch. It's catchy, inoffensive and appropriately fun material for a Hollywood rapper, even if controversial gruff-voiced reggae star Elephant Man does appear on a remix.

He does get a little close to the wrong side of the tracks, notably with a guest performance from Snoop Dogg on Pump Ya Brakes while the ever soulful Mary J Blige also accepted her invitation, turning up on a track called Why. He even has an unwise little pop at Eminem in response to a diss from the star a few years ago. Will, you don't wanna go there!

Clearly Smith's flow is, to put it politely, old school. But for the most part it doesn't matter as this is an album worthy of an A-list entertainer rather than a top rapper and taken at face value it's very enjoyable.

This wasn't a negative review per se, but this person may need to get back to the basics, here's why...

For starters, who the heck is Eminem in comparison to Big Will. I don't even want to hear that dude's name in the same sentence any more. He hasn't proven that he has the staying power in music that Will has shown. I won't front, Em can spit, but he's lacking in the subject matter department. So "unwise" the "pop" was not. Sometimes, cats mistake nice for soft, and you just have to set them straight.

Second, if you want your review to be taken seriously, you can't fail to mention the title track. That's the most relevant and sincere track that has been put out challenging the state of hip hop in quite some time, and it is imperative that it not be overlooked. Anyone who would do this either hasn't listened to the whole album or isn't a fan of the hip hop genre. No mention of Loretta, Mrs. Holy Roller or I Wish I Made That/Swagga. Guys, is it me? Do I have the wrong CD? Heads wanna box the brother into only doing party songs, and then they don't want to play it on the radio or tv because it's not "hard" enough. Don't pay these jokers no mind, wave 'em off.