JJFP reunite for 50 years of Hip Hop December 10 ×
Jazzy Jeff & Fresh Prince Forum

Downloading Music

scyhigh99

In the "can you resist?" thread, there was alotta harsh words for ppl who would download and not buy Lost & Found. Just wonderin, what do you ppl think about downloading in general? Do you think its unnacceptable? Or were u just sayin that b/c you want the JJFP fans here to support Will's music?

Personally, I have iTunes and WinMX icons right next to each other on my computer, and my thing is: if I want a whole album by an artist, I'll just go out and buy it. If I want an obscure song that's on iTunes but not easy to find for free, I'll shell out the ca$h. But otherwise? Like I said in the other board, if I just want a couple random tracks here and there, I'm definately downloading. I don't know about you ppl, but that's where I get the majority of my music.

I thought most ppl felt that way - everyone I know does - but maybe not from the comments on the other board. I mean, the price of music is ridiculous - por ejemple (spanish skillsssssss), 99 cents for a single track on iTunes? I'm not shellin that out, if possible, and I'm not exactly feelin guilty - the record companies are greedy, ppl. It's a revolution! :chuks: (shut up, thats not over dramatic)

Edited by scyhigh99

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't think downloading music is cool at all. Record companies may be greedy, but when u don't buy a song/album u like, u are taking money out of the pocket of artists who create. When u are an artistic person and u don't get what is owed 2 u...it's hard 2 wanna create, it's hard 2 even think about your fans when they don't support u. Before the internet got big, look at music. Music, as a whole waz much better. Albums were a little cheaper, record companies released CD singles and more Home Videos. Since the internet has gotten so big, the quality of music has suffered, record companies don't put out CD singles or Home Videos as much, and artists are jerked around even more.

The only time i'll download something is if it's something like that Arkitek Remix of "Switch" where there is no intention of releasing it. If i download an actual song, it's only cuz i plan on buying the album when it 1st comes out. Downloading music 2 experiment and see if u like it is cool....but there is no excuse 2 download a song u can buy in stores and not supporting that artist.

I don't like Nelly, but i liked his "Over And Over" song, so i bought the import single. Even tho' i think he has contributed 2 ruining Rap's commercial image, i still went out there and got the single cuz i like that song. There is no excuse, downloading a song u like and not buying their music is stealing...BOTTOM LINE. Put yourself in the artists' shoes.

In the "can you resist?" thread, there was alotta harsh words for ppl who would download and not buy Lost & Found. Just wonderin, what do you ppl think about downloading in general? Do you think its unnacceptable? Or were u just sayin that b/c you want the JJFP fans here to support Will's music?

Personally, I have iTunes and WinMX icons right next to each other on my computer, and my thing is: if I want a whole album by an artist, I'll just go out and buy it. If I want an obscure song that's on iTunes but not easy to find for free, I'll shell out the ca$h. But otherwise? Like I said in the other board, if I just want a couple random tracks here and there, I'm definately downloading. I don't know about you ppl, but that's where I get the majority of my music.

I thought most ppl felt that way - everyone I know does - but maybe not from the comments on the other board. I mean, the price of music is ridiculous - por ejemple (spanish skillsssssss), 99 cents for a single track on iTunes? I'm not shellin that out, if possible, and I'm not exactly feelin guilty - the record companies are greedy, ppl. It's a revolution! :chuks: (shut up, thats not over dramatic)

Now I agree u! For sure music isn't very cheap nowadays and if u just want a track, u can download it and if u really like the artist and u'd like to have his album or more tracks of him, then u should go out and buy the album!!! So what more to say? Hmm, yeah that's it... :afro:

I don't think downloading music is cool at all. Record companies may be greedy, but when u don't buy a song/album u like, u are taking money out of the pocket of artists who create. When u are an artistic person and u don't get what is owed 2 u...it's hard 2 wanna create, it's hard 2 even think about your fans when they don't support u. Before the internet got big, look at music. Music, as a whole waz much better. Albums were a little cheaper, record companies released CD singles and more Home Videos. Since the internet has gotten so big, the quality of music has suffered, record companies don't put out CD singles or Home Videos as much, and artists are jerked around even more.

The only time i'll download something is if it's something like that Arkitek Remix of "Switch" where there is no intention of releasing it. If i download an actual song, it's only cuz i plan on buying the album when it 1st comes out. Downloading music 2 experiment and see if u like it is cool....but there is no excuse 2 download a song u can buy in stores and not supporting that artist.

I don't like Nelly, but i liked his "Over And Over" song, so i bought the import single. Even tho' i think he has contributed 2 ruining Rap's commercial image, i still went out there and got the single cuz i like that song. There is no excuse, downloading a song u like and not buying their music is stealing...BOTTOM LINE. Put yourself in the artists' shoes.

But if u would buy any track u like, then calculate how much u would pay for all that man - that's way too expensive!!! If u just like one track and wanna have it quickly u should download it but if u want more songs and really like the songs and the artist then u should think about buying the album or maybe buying the few tracks u wanna have! Now that's my opinion... :speechless:

I download music but I still by albums of certain artists. Its a catch 22 situation for downloading music.

As an up and coming artist I couldn't care less who downloads my music. Its all exposure at the end of the day. And artist can't complain the introduction of peer to peer networks have gained them more exposure. However, when your an established artist, thousands of people downloading your music is gonna hurt your sales and income.

If I'm going to part with my ₤12.99 then I want to make sure that I'm getting quality music for my money. So many times in the past I have bought albums and have bben so dissappointed with the content. It had been such a waste of money. Downloading lets you preview what the album is like, and I like what I hear then I go out and buy the record. if not, I delete the files and don't buy the record. Simple as.

I think its pointless people arguing about people not downloading tracks. At the ened of the day, millions of people do it whether you like to admit it or not and its not gonna change. People are gonna keep doing it. And what if there's a track you want that is only on an album? Are you really gonna pay full price for an album just to get that one track?

I download music but I still by albums of certain artists. Its a catch 22 situation for downloading music.

As an up and coming artist I couldn't care less who downloads my music. Its all exposure at the end of the day. And artist can't complain the introduction of peer to peer networks have gained them more exposure. However, when your an established artist, thousands of people downloading your music is gonna hurt your sales and income.

If I'm going to part with my ₤12.99 then I want to make sure that I'm getting quality music for my money. So many times in the past I have bought albums and have bben so dissappointed with the content. It had been such a waste of money. Downloading lets you preview what the album is like, and I like what I hear then I go out and buy the record. if not, I delete the files and don't buy the record. Simple as.

I think its pointless people arguing about people not downloading tracks. At the ened of the day, millions of people do it whether you like to admit it or not and its not gonna change. People are gonna keep doing it. And what if there's a track you want that is only on an album? Are you really gonna pay full price for an album just to get that one track?

:werd: I couldn't say it any better man, underground artists benefit a lot from the internet, I wouldn't know about how there's so much talent out in hip-hop if I didn't have a computer, but established artists like JJFP, LL Cool J, and Nas won't benefit from u not buying their albums when their albums are more excessible than underground albums so I would be wrong not to buy their albums if I like them, so I buy their albums since I enjoy their music. Any album that I could find that I would enjoy, I'd buy, bottomline, I wouldn't cheat a great artist out of money. I might download some of KRS-ONE's recent songs since his albums are less excessible than they were when he was on Jive, but I bought 6 of his albums that I was able to find. I'm very picky when it comes to buying albums too, I wouldn't buy an album if I just like one song I heard on the radio anymore, maybe when I was in high school I would, and I would feel dissapointed 'cause some albums would have too much album fillers on it. On that note, I'm gonna buy "Lost and Found" when it drops 'cause FP makes albums and I don't have to doubt him.

i think DaBrakes makes a very good point that I've never thought of using in a debate like this :werd: . if i didn't download, i'm tellin u i wouldnt even listen 2 most of the people that i do. the only way i got in2 JJFP waz by download. i waz like "man this Will Smith guy's Willennium album is pretty good, maybe i'll give a listen 2 some of his earlier stuff and see if i like it" and i did. if i never had downloading, it wasn't like there waz any other way 2 sneak preview any JJFP stuff so i wouldn't have taken the chance of wasting $ on albums that i might not like. it's the same way 4 every other artist i've come to like, since most of them aren't mainstream and on TV or radio, the only way i can know if i like their music is by downloading and seeing if i like what i hear.

so yes, i do download, and i do feel a lil guilty about it, but in the end after i hear a dope album that i downloaded, it makes that guilt go away :music: and also, i'm not really buying the whole stripping artists of $. i know that downloading is morally wrong, but these artists are already millionaires and i'm sittin here spendin all my money on their album. i think they make enough money already and i'm broke enough that me downloading their album is enough. and besides, maybe if i like their album, i'll go out and buy the next one and i'll be a fan of theirs, instead of never taking the chance of downloading and never knowing whether i liked their music or not.

• Admin

downloading music has helped a lot of artists out and help people discover music.. if all you do is download music and whole albums and dont buy anythini dont think thats right.. a lot of stuff i just cant get here in australia so ive downloaded some stuff in the past.. if the albums available here ill get it.. these days though i dont really download anything..i dont like the programs..and i just order all my albums off amazon.. if itunes was available in australia id buy a lot of tracks off that..99cents doesnt seem much to me for a track?

I agree with some of the statements made that support downloading music. But from the people i know on the internet, nearly everyone of them fall in 2 the category where i consider them theives.

I download certain tracks that i just either can't get hold of on CD, ones i use just for DJ-ing, and b-sides and rarities etc.

I've never downloaded a song i wouldn't go and buy, in fact downloading has made more more inclined to go out and buy an album or single rather than the other way round. Just a shame not all people think of it like that.

I download quite a lot because I haven´t got the bucks to buy the cds and also because i think some of those artists have got enough money already. Look at will 4 example.

That exactly what wrong with people 2day. If u want something bad enuff u buy it. U can't call yourself a fan or supporter of an artist if u don't buy their album. And if alot of artists don't have much money. That's why artists like MC Hammer, TLC, and Toni Braxton have filed for bankruptsy. They sell millions of albums, but becuz they have jacked up record deals, they only get like 16 cents per CD they sell. So after u adjust to selling 15 millions CDs and your next album sells 3 million, u have 2 adjust again which usually dosen't work very well. People like FP are doing well cuz of the big movies they've done. U think any of the money he made from Willennium or Born To Reign waz a major income 4 him?!?!?

I download quite a lot because I haven´t got the bucks to buy the cds and also because i think some of those artists have got enough money already. Look at will 4 example.

That exactly what wrong with people 2day. If u want something bad enuff u buy it. U can't call yourself a fan or supporter of an artist if u don't buy their album. And if alot of artists don't have much money. That's why artists like MC Hammer, TLC, and Toni Braxton have filed for bankruptsy. They sell millions of albums, but becuz they have jacked up record deals, they only get like 16 cents per CD they sell. So after u adjust to selling 15 millions CDs and your next album sells 3 million, u have 2 adjust again which usually dosen't work very well. People like FP are doing well cuz of the big movies they've done. U think any of the money he made from Willennium or Born To Reign waz a major income 4 him?!?!?

Ummmm if you wanna argue against downloading, fine. But to give the "starving artist" argument, and use MC Hammer as an example??!? :lolsign: Are you serious??!? MC, and many other celebrities, musical and otherwise, file for bankruptsy simply because they get such an obscene amount of money, they think its an endless supply and go insaaaaaaaaaane with their spending. There's a case to be made against wreckless piracy on the internet, but that is not one of them.

Edited by scyhigh99

Don't know MC Hammer 4 going bankrupt. He did things no other emcee would ever do. Hammer waz employing 100s of people from his neighborhood 2 keep them off the streets and from selling drugs. Some people clown him 4 his commercial success, radio-friendly music, and dance steps, but without him, nobody in Hip-Hop/Rap would be where they are 2day...JJ+FP included. FP has respect for Hammer...they're friends. Bottom line, hate him or love him, he kept alot of people from his hood out of trouble and out of jail, and i think that's the realest thing anyone could do in his position. U'll never see Nelly and 50 Cent doing that. Sure, they bring their untalented friends (G-Unit and St. Lunatics) in2 the game, but they aren't about supplying jobs, they are just worried about their own money.

That's not what we are talking about tho.' Downloading is stealing. If u don't go out and buy the artist's album or single, u are stealing. After the use of it being a promotional tool, u are either buying their music or u are stealing. Don't justify it 2 make yourself feel better.