JJFP reunite for 50 years of Hip Hop December 10 ×
Jazzy Jeff & Fresh Prince Forum

LL Cool J Sues Fubu

J-o-e

With sales of his latest CD below expected figures, LL Cool J has his eyes set on another type of income - he's decided to sue Fubu, the clothing line that had a helping hand in his rise to fame. The rap artist has filed a lawsuit for an undisclosed amount in the Supreme Court claiming that he has not been adequately compensated for his endorsements of the clothing line.

Established in 1992 by Daymond John, of Hollis, Queens, which also happens to be LL Cool J's hometown, Fubu has rapidly become popular not only amongst the artists themselves but also with vast amount of hip-hop followers.

LL Cool J began wearing the brand in 1993 and it wasn't long before his face became synonymous with the clothing. Still, to this present day Fubu's website still insists on having LL Cool J's face plastered all over the place. LL Cool J also appeared on Fubu’s CD release The Good Life, from the company's FB Entertainment. The disc featured the song "Fatty Girl" with LL Cool J, Ludacris and Keith Murray.

LL Cool J now claims that those types of endorsements helped the company make hundreds of millions. In 1999 it was reported that Fubu was making over $200 million U.S. annually. Last year alone they made over $380 million U.S.

LL Cool J, who owned a clothing line in the '80s called Troop, is attempting another shot to crack the currently massive fashion industry. He's working on a new line, James Todd Smith, which is LL’s real name. The rapper has stated that the line will feature classy suits, jeans and button up shirts and will be sold in upscale clothing stores.

Man, that's not cool. I'm thinkin' this is more of a business move. LL actually grew up with the 4 main guys behind FUBU. I agree that LL probably dose deserve more than what he got from them. LL Cool J is how i found out FUBU existed and part of the reason i wear it (i used 2 wear it ALOT in the 90's).

That FUBU CD also didn't have much talent on it. I almost bought it, but then i saw the awful line up of artists. With out LL involved, i don't thing "Fatty Girl," the only hit off it, would have done as much damage as it did. Instead of getting the album, i found a promo CD single online and bought that.

It sounds like Fubu's cheatin' LL there, I don't think he'd sue Fubu just 'cause "The Definition" didn't go platinum like they worded it, I don't think record sales ever phased LL, he hasn't really complained about an album not sellin'. "Fatty Girl" was a good song at the time, but it ain't one of my favorite LL songs, so FP isn't the only legend that Ludacris collaborated with.

The DEFinition isn't a flop at all. People are just used 2 those commercial rap albums that sell millions. So when an album dosen't do 5 million copies, mainstreamers consider it a flop. That writer is kinda stupid. LL hasn't commented on the album's sales or called it a flop. The writer just wanted 2 say that cuz writers are always overcritcal with people like LL and FP. LL took action cuz he felt it waz neccesary...not cuz of album sales.

"Fatty Girl" is a good track, but definitly not amongst his best. I think LL really out-shined Keith Murray (who i love) and Ludacris.

LL doesn't have to sell a lot of albums anymore, he has control of his album catalog now so he gets more profit than basically any mainstream mc does, he's financially secured, he's rapping for the love more than anything now, his legacy is there already, but he could still rhyme at a high level so he's still "Doin' It", those who diss him are teeny boppers who don't know about legendary hip-hop, they diss KRS, JJFP, and Public Enemy and call their songs "nerd rap", well they are too ignorant to understand, knowledge is power! :ali: