JJFP reunite for 50 years of Hip Hop December 10 ×
Jazzy Jeff & Fresh Prince Forum

New Nas Album In July!

bigted

I heard yesterday on MTV that Nas will release a double album called "Street Disciple" in July and he said in an interview that it will be representin' ol' school hip-hop and nothin' like what's out now and that it'll be a double album! I just don't get how Columbia Records could give him the freedom to do whatever he wants but Will didn't when he was on there? Think about it, Nas released videos like "One Mic", "If I Ruled The World", and "I Can", but they didn't let Will release songs like "Chasin' Forever", "The Rain", "Afro Angel", and "Momma Knows"! What's up wit that? :dunno: Sure Nas never sold as much as Will did on an album wit "Big Willie Style" but he usually goes platinum at the least, so he keeps originality in the game. Columbia records respects him but why couldn't they respect Will? What do y'all think about that?

I can't say that i really care 4 Nas' next release, i havn't really like him since his 2nd album (tho' i loved "One Mic." The reason Nas has more freedom is cuz his recent albums have all done well. When an artists dose well, a label will either give the artist total freedom OR try 2 make them do an album exactly like the past one. I think the reason Will had more freedom on Willennium is becuz of Big Willie Style's success. However, the way they promoted him wazn't fair cuz none of the singles represented the album.

Also, Nas and Will are 2 totally differenet artists 2 Columbia. They promoted Nas the way they would any other rapper. They always promoted Will as a Hollywood actor who happens 2 rap, which is why their formula only worked for BWS. Cuz FP wazn't tryna go that way on Willennium, so the promotion didn't fit the music.

What it's comin' down to is Will won't get the respect as he deserves as a rap artist until he takes a break from the movies 'cause his rap legacy will be questioned if he juggles acting wit rapping too much, but I don't think that's right 'cause he's a hard worker. :cussing: Rappers Nas,Krs-One,and Biz Markie are great rap artists, but they're only in the music industry. What Will needs is a record label that will respect him as strictly a rap artist and not pay attention that he's an actor 'cause Will's been rappin' before he was a teen and he wasn't actin' back then! If it wasn't for Run-Dmc and JJFP, even rappers like Nas wouldn't go platinum. Right now what album in hip-hop is actually worth listenin' to from start 2 finish? Honestly the last hip-hop album I felt that way was "God's Son", so you better believe I think he's a great artist! :rock: Edited by bigted

• 1 month later...
I like "Get Rich or Die Tryin'" but a couple songs are kinda weak, nevertheles it's a solid album for this year's standards, and it's not a classic, I'm hopin' that 50 Cent's next album's better 'cause to be a legend you have to keep on improving. Dr.Dre's albums are tight but he hasn't released one in 5 years, I was asking what albums that are out now that you can listen from start to finish. I heard that Nas won't be releasing his album now until September, that sucks, no Will Smith album or Nas album this summer! :cussing: Columbia's a pain in the ass I hope Nas leaves from there after he releases his double LP.

I don't like the idea of double albums in general. I haven't heard all of the double albums that have been dropped by Hip-Hop and Rap artists, but in almost every case, they have less than a 1 disc album worth of good trax and a bunch of filler trax (trax that are recorded, that don't stand out at all). 2Pac's All Eyez On Me and Bone's "Art of War" are the only albums that i've heard that i think were put 2gether well.

Outkast released a double album and won a grammy, so their might be more artists mking double albums now.

[quote=bigted,Jun 10 2004, 06:41 PM]Outkast released a double album and won a grammy, so their might be more artists mking double albums now.[/quote]
Yeah true. Cam and his Diplomats did it. Pac's bein doin it. There's supposed 2 be a tribute double disc 2 Jay-Z. Still, 4 some artists; it'z risky.

De La Soul actually talked about doing a triple disc (which i would have looked forward 2) but then they desided 2 release each album seperate. OutKast's album is actually 2 solo albums so i don't know if i truley count that as a double disc (even tho' there are 2 CDs there). I wish i could consider it a solid album, but personally only like half of the trax on each...the others just kinda lean towards that filler stuff. Left Eye actually challenged the rest of her group 2 do a similar thing by having all of them record a solo album then sell it as a triple disc and have fans vote which one they like the most (back when they were having problems). I actually have the triple disc Prince album....ha ha. Can't say i get past the 1st disc very often. I love 2Pac, but i don't like the way they've been releasing so many double albums. They usually pack about 5 or so really good trax which i think perfectly fit his legacy...then the rest are the kinda trax he would record non-stop just 2 make those albums 2 get off Deathrow.