JJFP reunite for 50 years of Hip Hop December 10 ×
Jazzy Jeff & Fresh Prince Forum

Freakin' It

I downloaded this video off of Kazaa a long time ago and it's probally one of the best videos I've seen from WS or JJFP. Will is taking it back in this video to Philly, and Jeff is scratchin it up the whole time. So technically its JJFP but not really. Will is wearin' some dope gear even if it is just snow gear.

I know some people dub Freakin' It as the worst song on Willenium but I honestly do not think so. So what if it's using the same old sample that has been used so many times, theres trackmasters for you. Lyrically it's a great song even tho it's one of those "jiggy" type tracks. It also sounds pop-ish due to the sample but it's still a decent song but the video is awesome.

Freakin' it is a good song. People don't like it but I don't care. It's not fully hip hop, but the liryc is great and the video has a retro style that I love. I don't know if releasing it as second single of willennium was right ( I would have preferred so fresh..) but I like this track :rock:

• Members
why is not fully hip hop?????because the sample is more funky???freakin it is a cool song,and i think is fully hip hop.it's diferent to others songs because will in many songs use a Chic sample,or a sister sledge sample,many soul samples..like gettin jiggy wit it,its all good,WWW,MIB,miami,chasing forever,can't wait to be with you...it's wonderful!!!!!!

[quote=TooFresh,Apr 12 2004, 01:35 PM]Freakin' it is a good song. People don't like it but I don't care. It's not fully hip hop, but the liryc is great and the video has a retro style that I love. I don't know if releasing it as second single of willennium was right ( I would have preferred so fresh..) but I like this track :rock:[/quote]
I agree but I guess Sony wanted another "jiggy" type song.

Still good though.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members
why do you all guess sony wantd that song? why couldnt will hav made that song becouse he likes the music? And releasing so fresh as the second single? So fsh did get released as a single wich was a mistak in my eys, maybe will wantd to film a video or soemthing but as a singl it wouldnt work ( singles are made to promote and be comercially succesfull, not as art)

[quote=Daedalus Mortality,Apr 27 2004, 12:39 PM]why do you all guess sony wantd that song? why couldnt will hav made that song becouse he likes the music? And releasing so fresh as the second single? So fsh did get released as a single wich was a mistak in my eys, maybe will wantd to film a video or soemthing but as a singl it wouldnt work ( singles are made to promote and be comercially succesfull, not as art)[/quote]
Why do we guess? Look at it this way, Sony wanted to use the same formula that Will had with Big Willie Style and "gettin' jiggy wit it" in general. They were looking for another famous "catch phrase". Will and Sony tried with "Freakin' It" but it failed. Who says "Freakin' it" or "lets freak this"? lol. nobody. I still hear people say "lets get jiggy wit it" or whatever.

Too bad that single poorly represented what Willenium was all about. Don't get me wrong, the lyrics are absolutly great, but just the whole production of the song with trackmasters and using that same "Love Hangover" (i think) sample that is used alot in hip-hop, the song came out wrong. He could have totally changed that song.

So Fresh would have made sense to be the second single. It would have picked up where Will 2k left off. Plus, it would have been a hit on channels like BET. It's a collaboration of 4 elite hip-hop artists and this song cleary represents them and what rap was back then and what rap should be now. Will had to pay for the video all by himself and dumbass Sony never promoted it and left it hanging. Basically Will wasted his money in a way. The song was released as a single but only as a "Promo" to DJ's.

This was an example of Sony screwing Will with Willenium. :cussing: Edited by DevilsJim89

So Fresh was Released (Technically). There is a single or 2 out, and a video. It got mad play on BET back in 99/2000. Sony, however, didn;t want much to do with the video. It was actually will who had to do most of, everything, himself. Hot video though. it plays into the Will2k video. Jeff uses that thing to go back to the 80s, where verything kicks off.

As for freakin' it. Yea it's been a while since I've seen it, but it was a good video. i don't care what people say, it's a good track. not the best in willennium, but good non-the-less.

[quote=Vipa,Apr 27 2004, 08:45 PM]So Fresh was Released (Technically). There is a single or 2 out, and a video. It got mad play on BET back in 99/2000. Sony, however, didn;t want much to do with the video. It was actually will who had to do most of, everything, himself. Hot video though. it plays into the Will2k video. Jeff uses that thing to go back to the 80s, where verything kicks off.

As for freakin' it. Yea it's been a while since I've seen it, but it was a good video. i don't care what people say, it's a good track. not the best in willennium, but good non-the-less.[/quote]
Was it really a hot hit on BET? wow thats really cool. See how Sony missed out. wow they really suck.

I know So Fresh was released on vinyl but is it out on CD anywhere? Edited by DevilsJim89

Here's my take on the whole thing...

"So Fresh" waz the 2nd single. However, Columbia would have nothing 2 do with it. Will produced and paid 4 the whole video himself. On most versions of the "Will 2K" single, "So Fresh" waz the b-side, which didn't make it neccessary 2 have it released as a single itself...but Columbia wouldn't actually support that any way. "So Fresh" waz only released as vinyl promo 2 Hip-Hop DJs backed with the Acappella and Instrumental. I doubt Columbia even helped Will distribute the video, he may have had 2 do it himself. Either way, "So Fresh" is what Will wanted...after all, he is the one who paid 4 it and he's the one that masterminded all those cameos 4 it (Biz Markie, Slick Rick, Nice + Smooth, Flava Flav, Juice Crew, M.C. Shan, Roxanne, Kango Kid, Maseo, etc).

I strongly believe Columbia pushed "Freakin It" 2 be released. Look at the facts, it the weakest (or at least one of the weakest) songs on the album...do u really think Will chose 2 release that as a single and as a proper repersentation of the album?!?!? "Freakin' It" waz actually intended 2 be the 1st single off Willennium but as the release date waz established and "Will 2K" waz recorded, they switched it. Trackmasters were (maybe still are) the head of Sony's urban department...what better way 2 get paid than force your own trax 2 be singles. The main reason i believe Will didn't really care 2 release "Freakin' It" as a single is becuz when he went 2 Hype 2 the video, he said "if we had no money...what kinda video would we make?" That's straight from Will Smith Ultrasound (i think). He told Hype that he wanted 2 make the movie without spending hardly any money on it. No special efx or crazy scenes in it...it's just FP runnin' around Philly. Will didn't wanna release this as a single so he didn't put any money in2 the video.

• Admin
will even admitted at the willennium extravaganza when he was being interviewed that will2k was not the best track on the album by a long way..he sounded like he didnt even want will2k released..let alone freakin it.. i wonder what traxs jjfp wanted released as singles off willennium.. actually we should ask jeff that over at his board...