JJFP reunite for 50 years of Hip Hop December 10 ×
Jazzy Jeff & Fresh Prince Forum

top 50 rappers

• Admin
[quote=lambertj3,Apr 12 2004, 02:28 AM]TUPAC IS FOREVER #1 AND ICE CUBE IS FOREVER #2[/quote]
tupac sold 6 million albums when he was alive and 30 million after he was dead.. there is something wrong with that :poke:

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I can help clear that up. USUALLY when an artist sells a double album, it counts as 2 sales even tho' they are part of the same album. 2pac has had 4 double albums released since he passed. On top of that, he is one of those band-wagon artists where they have a solid fanbase, but then they drop a song or album in which all of the commercial rap fans jump on them. He had a solid carreer and reputation in Hip-Hop before All Eyez On Me, but that's when all these band-wagon fans jumped on. It wasn't so much about how dope he waz or the lyrics he wrote, but that everybody else waz feeling him...so other people copied.

Sadly, since his passing, they have desided 2 remix much of his material resulting in weaker more-modern production when the original versions are easily considered better (and timeless in their original form).

I wouldn't say that the sales mean anything tho'...we could joke that Will didn't push over 9 millions albums until he became and solo artist. And most of us will agree that the bulk of his better music was before BWS (not 2 say that any of his albums aren't solid releases).

[quote=bigted,Apr 12 2004, 02:36 PM]I'm gonna give y'all a list of my all-time Top 20 Rappers
It goes a little somethin' like dis:
1-2Pac
2-KRS-ONE(Boggie Down Productions)
3-JJFP
4-Run-Dmc
5-LL Cool J
6-Eric B. and Rakim
7-Public Enemy
8-Slick Rick
9-Salt-N-Pepa
10-Nas
11-Sugar Hill Gang
12-Big Daddy Kane
13-Grandmaster Flash and The Furious Five
14-Snoop Dogg
15-Ice Cube
16-Queen Latifah
17-A Tribe Called Quest
18-Busta Rhymes
19-Fugees
20-DMX Honorable Mention:Kurtis Blow and Naughty By Nature
MTV Wouldn't Make A List Like That![/quote]
I agree with AJ. There is no way you can compile a list and not have Rakim in the top 3. You also can't have a top 20 list and not include Biggie. As much as I love JJFP, I can't put them over Eric B & Rakim, Run DMC, and Public Enemy.

Guest lambertj3
I AM SORRY I DISAGREE IT IS NOT FACT IF RAKIM is not in the top three thats just east coast bias what IS FACT is that ice cube is not in the top three. And tupac was just gifted PERIOD OFTEN IMITATED BUT NEVER DUPLICATED!

[quote=lambertj3,Apr 17 2004, 01:12 PM]I AM SORRY I DISAGREE IT IS NOT FACT IF RAKIM is not in the top three thats just east coast bias what  IS FACT is that ice cube is not in the top three. And  tupac was just gifted  PERIOD OFTEN IMITATED BUT NEVER DUPLICATED![/quote]

First of all, I'm from Chicago so there is no "east coast bias." You know you could be accused of having a "west coast bias." Rakim was simply one of the sickest MCs in the game, period. He is top three with KRS-One and RUN-DMC. Before you start criticizing other rappers, you might want to really listen to these giants of hip-hop. I've listened to 2Pac and other "west coast" artists so I think I'm qualified to offer my opinion. I've been into hip-hop for over 20 years so I know a little bit about the subject. The fact of the matter is if it weren't for cats like RUN-DMC, Eric B. & Rakim, KRS-One and others there would have been no 2Pac. And before you start that east coast bias stuff again, just remember where 2Pac is from - THE EAST COAST(Baltimore, MD.)! Edited by TopDawg14

The list that I made are my personal favorites and nothin' will change how I feel about the rappers I listen to, I could assorte them in any order, but it's hard to make a perfect list. I think that Ice Cube is a great artist and is also one of the original M.C.'s that started to act 'cause of "Boyz In Da Hood"(a classic hip-hop movie) and I don't like how they mention Dr. Dre before they mention him. There's no doubt in my mind how great of a lyricist Biggie was but he learned a lot of his style from Big Daddy Kane like Nas did, but Nas is still alive and putting out albums and Biggie only put out 2 albums(I don't count Born Again 'cause that's more like a remix album did Diddy produced), and 2Pac is the greatest ever 'cause he was able to balance his rapping/acting career better than Will Smith,LL Cool J, and Queen Latifah have been able to do. I don't think that any of the new rappers coming out now will be able to knock of what the legends of the game have done 'cause if it wasn't for Run-DMC, Sugar Hill Gang, Grandmster Flash and The Furious Five, Kurtis Blow, Whoodini, Doug E.Fresh, Slick Rick, LL,JJFP,KRS-ONE,Public Enemy,Ice Cube, and countless other ol' school pioneers, no rapper today would go platinum 'cause alot of ol' school rappers didn't sell records but they created hip-hop music. Originality in hip-hop is rare these days that's why legends will neva fade even when they're ol' and grey! Edited by bigted

• Admin
i think hieroglyphics, tribe called quest, de la soul, main source, masta ace, poor righteous teachers, diamond d, brand nubian, pharcyde, & co need to get there props a lot of them are underrated

• Members
You see this is why you can't tell people youré a will smith fan whitout getting laughed at, its not becouse they don't like Will its becouse Will fans are idiots OFCOURSE IT IS BASED ON OPINION wtf did you expect? I'm actually quit surprised JJFP was listed that high, becouse they (and will solo also ) havnt been populair for a long time. Mtv type wise Will is 100% it. If you think Mtv you think WIll Smith, anyone saw that south park episode? "son: hey mom guess what?! its amazing! mom: What, Mtv played a video that isnt will smiths?" but that besides the point Mtv doesnt like artists becouse they had an historical influence for their station or music in general, they like them becouse the people who watch it like them and right now Mtv type people dont like will.

And people should stop whining about 2pac all day aswel, he was nice but he wasnt the best ever, yall just following the hype, and everyone does why do you think he sold like 3 milion before he died and 30 after he died? :dunno: ?

And everyone one here blah blahing about putting Rakim in someones Top list should close his or her mouth becouse you dont have anything todo whit what people think are the best rappers, its their own opinion, If youre gona have to make a top 10 best musicians of all time im not gona put Bach and Mozart in it, im gona people init I like to listen to, the people I like, not the people everyone else likes or thingk have had moe of an historical influence

Peez

Man, i can't agree with that. I think L.L. Cool J has handled the rapper/actor thing the best. Will has gotten so popular as an actor that his music has suffered and can only really afford 2 do the biggest movies. Queen Latifah's music has also suffered, but she dose both bigger and smaller films. 2Pac never got 2 let his movie career grow, but he wazn't totally outta box when it came 2 doing only hood flicks. L.L. on the other hand has worked up 2 doing big movies that aren't that big...and his music hasn't suffered at all.

did i hear sum1 say that 2pac wasnt the greatest, its a close call in my mind but i think he is either first or second, who kno's theres loads of more rappers in 20 years time who would be classic, our children might love ludacris rappers of the industry,

and as far as balancing a carrer in movies, 2pac only succeded cause he only did a few small movies, and will smith movies our blockbusters everytime, 2pac's love for music was more than acting, 2pac spent his spare time and his breaks of his movies in the recording studio, and thanks to that he is still giving us music eight years after his death.

[quote=Daedalus Mortality,Apr 24 2004, 03:59 PM]"and 2Pac is the greatest ever 'cause he was able to balance his rapping/acting career better than Will Smith,LL Cool J, and Queen Latifah have been able to do"

:nhawong: wow that sounded stupid[/quote]
Don't come at me like I don't know what I'm talkin' about, put yourself in 2Pac's shoes, he was able to stay focused on his career in the middle of getting shot and going to jail! Do u really think u'd think about makin' music and studying scripts when u were almost killed and knowing that someone out there's trying to gun you down and express all your emotions of your heart through your art like that?!! He was an inspiration for many people, even those that don't like rap so don't tell me that I'm crazy for saying that 2Pac's the greatest! I know that if he were alive he would have as many leading roles if not more than Will Smith has currently 'cause he was respected for his acting as well!

• Members
[quote]Don't come at me like I don't know what I'm talkin' about, put yourself in 2Pac's shoes, he was able to stay focused on his career in the middle of getting shot and going to jail! Do u really think u'd think about makin' music and studying scripts when u were almost killed and knowing that someone out there's trying to gun you down and express all your emotions of your heart through your art like that?!! He was an inspiration for many people, even those that don't like rap so don't tell me that I'm crazy for saying that 2Pac's the greatest! I know that if he were alive he would have as many leading roles if not more than Will Smith has currently 'cause he was respected for his acting as well![/quote]

:nhawong: wow that sounded stupid again.

HOW THE HELL would somebody be the best rapper becouse he does movies?! Being the best rapper has NOTHING to do whit how good an actor you are o how commercially succesfull you are as an actor or how good you can balance youre acting career. Edited by Daedalus Mortality

You just don't get it man! :cussing: 2Pac was great in many ways, ways that you can't really explain in comparing him with other rappers that are alive now, I'll admit that doing that is stupid 'cause he's in a category all of his own. Don't hate the player, hate the game,damn it! How much do you really know about hip-hop? His rap style was aggressive and it got even stronger after he got shot and gone to jail, how many times do I gotta say that?! :cussing: But now when it comes to acting he would never touch Will, there I said it! are you happy now?! Now if I want to stick to a lyrical point of view, there's no rapper in history that could talk about anything and everything going on in the world with more emotion than 2Pac and many tried to imitate him since his death but failed miserably, no rapper was ever or never will be deeper than 2Pac, there it is, enough said! I don't give a damn if you try callin' me stupid 'cause I know what the hell I'm talkin' about and I'm not gonna sugarcoat it for you 'cause you act like you know but you don't know a damn thing if you try dissin' me again. Disrespecting our deceased legends is being the real fool. :nhawong: