JJFP reunite for 50 years of Hip Hop December 10 ×
Jazzy Jeff & Fresh Prince Forum

review of jj show in melbourne

Hero1

• Admin
The Magnificent Jazzy Jeff @ Prince Of Wales, Melbourne (10/10/03)
Reported on Monday, Oct 13, 2003. 20:57 by MzRizk

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I heard rumors that Jazzy Jeff was coming down under a few months ago, so I always researched the details- is it true? When? Where? And then I saw the advertisements and my heart began racing. It was true- Jazzy Jeff “the Magnificent” with MC’s Pauly Yams & V will be coming down under on October the 10th thanks to Agent Mad.

Most people associate Jazzy Jeff with Will Smith whether it be from the show “French Prince of Bel Air” or their hit single “Boom Shake The Room. Since then Jazzy has come a long way with his skills on the “ one and two’s” and production on his records label “A Touch Of Jazz”. I associate Jazzy with the above also however I know him mostly for finding Nu Soul queen “Jill Scott”. And for that reason alone I see Jazzy Jeff as a legend!

When the time came to see Jazzy I was very excited. I entered the Prince and there were a lot of people close to the bars and not on the dance floor. The crowd was very mixed and very relaxed. Beer was the choice beverage for most.

J-Red was scratching away as I secured my usual spot- right at the front. Playing a mix of hip-hop, beats and old school- he is always having fun on the decks, which reflects on the crowd! It is always a pleasure to see J-Red, his skills are just brilliant.

Jazzy Jeff then came on the stage and everyone in crowd pushed forward onto the dance floor. I looked behind me and the room was comfortably full.

Pauly Yams and V had a mic each and stood opposite each other on the stage while Jazzy was in the middle. Pauly explained to us that Jazzy will be playing a number of different styles of music and that we are there to party. He got the party started and was in control of the MC’ing mostly. I was waiting to see what skills V had- and once he started everyone was amazed. V had a beautiful voice on the mic. He didn’t freestyle, he sang.

They sung/rapped to some of Jazzy’s beats. With one song that seemed to inspire the entire crowd with the V singing “Do what you love and love what you do”. The whole crowd concentrated and slightly mesmerized. It was an unforgettable moment.

Jazzy then began playing well-known hits that included, Crazy In Love, Breathe n Stop, Like I love You –this shocked most people in the room-, ante up and the next episode. His skills on the “ones and twos” are unbelievable. He was beat juggling so naturally I don’t think he needs to concentrate on where the record is or if it will be on time.

Pauly Yams then announced a game where Jazzy Jeff will play a song that has an old school sample after playing the track it came from. The most memorable being Hypnotize by Biggie. He also gave respects to Jam Master Jay. Pauly Yams then asked for all the breakers to start breakin’ so the whole room ended up in a circle watching the Melbourne talent.

Jazzy played for over two hours and people were slowly leaving once it hit 2.30. He continued playing for almost an hour till he stopped and Pauly Yams announced that he could no longer play because the mixer is broke. Everyone grunted and kept yelling “more, we want more, jazzy, jazzy”, Pauly tried to calm the crowd down but it wouldn’t work until he said “go on Jazz if you cant play no more at least talk to ‘em.” So then Jazzy got on the mic and shared a few words apologizing about the mixer and that he could play another 5 hours, which was really nice. He thanked us, turned around to pack his things and then the crowd started chanting, “more we want more, we want more”. Jazzy then said went back into the mic and said, “you all obviously don’t believe me so I’m going to show you this mixer.” He unplugged it and lifted it up, the crowd could see that the cross fader wasn’t there anymore except for a little bit of metal sticking out. At that stage we knew it was all over.

Most people left except for those that wanted vinyl and flyers signed. He is also a really nice guy and so were Pauly Yams and V, which made the night even better. Brilliant everything well except for the mixer.

• 2 weeks later...