JJFP reunite for 50 years of Hip Hop December 10 ×
Jazzy Jeff & Fresh Prince Forum

The Voice Interviews Jazzy Jeff

Hero1

• Admin

HIGHER PRODUCTION VALUES

BY Olubunmi Okolosi

Jazzy Jeff on his new album and life since Summertime

Time moves on. These days, Jeff Townes cuts the figure of a man who is mellowing gracefully. He still has that familiar cheeky side smile that got women hot around the collar when he was one half of the highly successful hip-hop duo Jazzy Jeff and The Fresh Prince.

But the youthful irreverence has started to diminish and the trademark custom shades have been replaced by slightly more conservative glasses. January marks his 40th birthday.

Back in the late ’80s, in tandem with Will Smith, Jazzy Jeff had fans eating out of his hand as the pair produced a string of timeless rap classics – often with a comedic edge, but in a manner that never detracted from their solid hip-hop traditions.

Jeff started deejaying much, much earlier and by the time his debut Rock the House dropped in 1987, he was something of a veteran.

“I started around ten,” he recalls. “My brother was in a band, The Intruders, and they used to rehearse in the basement, so I grew up around a lot of old soul music and musicians.

“I also grew up in the DJ era with all the block parties going off that would have a band and then a DJ and I gravitated towards the DJ because he always seemed like the guy who was controlling the crowd. He was kind of captain of the ship and everyone went where he went.

“I used to just ride my bike at about eight or nine years old to the block parties and just sit in front of these massive stacks of speakers, watch these guys play records all night and just control it.

“And I wanted to be them, so I found this guy in the neighbourhood who was having a party and they let me come to the party with a big component set and that was it, that’s where I started.”

Fast-forward a few decades and it is obvious he has lost none of the panache which made his name.

Crowd reaction is the fuel that feeds his passion for what he does.

Seeing a crowd go wild is a constant motivator: “Music is a very important tool. At times I’ve felt like an ambassador. I deejayed in Johannesburg in front of 18,000 people about three years ago. I’ve been there three more times since and throughout South Africa because I felt a real closeness. The energy generated when you have all these eyes on you is incredible – these people are soaking up my musical inspirations.”

Jeff is highly successful in his own right and it is unfortunate and unjust that his success will always be measured against that of his former musical partner and one-man entertainment industry, Will Smith.

It is a subject Mr Townes is questioned on incessantly, but for him, it has never been a question of stepping out of Big Will’s shadow.

If he has one regret, it is that he does not get to see as much of his lifelong pal as he would like.

The pair grew up in a tightly-knit west Philadelphia neighbourhood and it is impossible not to become close to someone you spend so much of your time with over such a long period.

“Me and Will are not in competition and never have been,” he points out. “He’s one of my best friends. We don’t get a chance to hang out as much as we used to because his film schedule is just unbelievable.

“Also, we are both a bit older – he is married and has kids and we both have responsibilities. But when we get on the phone we try and talk as much as possible.”

As Smith was taking on Hollywood, Townes began carving out a niche for himself as a producer. He formed a production company, Touch Of Jazz Inc, which enabled him to put his creative talents to seed.

Jill Scott’s highly acclaimed debut album Who is Jill Scott? was touched by his creative brush, as was UK duo Floetry’s debut set. Countless other soul, R’n’B and hip-hop stars have, in recent years, benefited from the Touch of Jazz.

His new album Jazzy Jeff in the House is a blend of skillfully crafted upfront house and classic soul. One listen and the quality of the album is apparent.

Being an international DJ has given him a unique insight into the feelings of Americans and people from around the world.

Since the September 11 attacks he has noticed a change in attitude. It is while talking about these experiences that Jeff is at his most animated.

“It made us in America look at the world differently. It was like we had a smoke screen, but 9/11 erased that.

“As a DJ, interest quadrupled. People wanted a little bit of peace, an escape from their everyday lives.

“I’ve never been a political person, but what I’m more aware of now is that not voicing your opinion on how your future goes can have a grave impact on you.

“What I’ve always noticed with the black community in the USA is that we are the first ones to complain about how things are, yet we don’t realise that there is a vote that we could have made to change them.”

The last election brought things into focus more sharply than ever for Jeff.

He declares: “I love the USA but I don’t always love what the USA represents. I’ve never voted in my life, but I voted this year.

“It is never too late to pay a little of your attention.”

http://www.voice-online.net/content.php?show=5586&type=7