JJFP reunite for 50 years of Hip Hop December 10 ×
Jazzy Jeff & Fresh Prince Forum

JAY-OH-BEE

I waz wondering what kinda jobs u all have/had. In an attempt 2 get 2 know each other better, i waz interested in seeing what kinda things we've all done. So, 4 those who wanna participate, let us know where u work(ed) and what u do/did.

My 1st job waz with the grocery store, Food Lion. I waz a bagger. However, as the years went on, i did basically everything but ran register. I cleaned, stocked, all kinds of stuff. I actually got the job only cuz my mom's friend waz the manager there. The 1st 2 years were actually really fun. I had a great group of co-workers and we just had alot of fun...business waz also kinda slow usually. I stayed there another 3 years cuz i waz expecting profits (adding up 2 thousands of dollars) but i realized in my last months that i didn't have enuff hours during some of those years 2 get it. Since things got worse and worse (and i obviously didn't wanna work at a grocery store all my life), i got outta there.

Currently, i'm working at The Picture People. It's a photography studio aimed mostly at kids...but we do EVERYTHING. There, i'm training 2 be a manager...i do some of the best photography in the store and do all the lab stuff as well. I love this job (as much as u can love a job). Holidays and big coupon events are horrible when we are busy...but otherwise it's fun. The website for the company is www.picturepeople.com.

My other job, which i hardly call a job is at a dinner theater. We have shows every Friday and Saturday nite as well as Sunday matinees EVERY WEEKEND. Most shows run about 2 months with a total of 6 shows each season. We rehearse for about a month 4 each show (while the other is running). We also help prepare the food and wait tables, THEN we do the show. The audience gets 2 hit-up a salad bar and hot buffet, then we bring desert out 2 them (which often has half the cast stuffing their face b4 the show....ha ha. We get paid a lil' bit 2 do the show, but the real money is waiting tables during the dinner hour (it pays off 4 those long rehearsals). It hardly feels like work 2 since u are doing something u love.

Well, those are the main jobs i have/had. What do y'all do?!?

I've been working at Kmart since last summer and it's a pretty easy job except sometimes customers could get on your damn nerves! Especially when it's a holiday, I have a lot more work to do and it's hard to please them but when I look at my holiday paycheck, it makes it all worth it.

Well i wanted 2 b a Veterinary nurse since i was 8 years old, a lot of ppl (teachers, parents etc) told me i couldnt do it and it was too difficult a job 2 get into. I decided 2 ignore them and go 4 it. So i went 2 college and studied animal care for 2 years. When i finished i got a crappy job in a pet shop. I had 2 sell a lot of fish and i didnt know much about them. So when i was working there i still looked 4 my dream vet nurse job.

I got it only 3 months after working my crappy job. Ive been there over a year now and i love it. I consider myself so lucky to enjoy my job. Basically im like a hospital nurse but to animals instead of humans. I feed them ,clean them ect and give them medication. I have 2 do reception, i love working wth the public, but i lot of them are really weird. I get yelled at and i have 2 deal with ppl that are really upset bcoz there animal was put to sleep.

The best part is helping with operations, i basically shave the animals and prep the op area and just help the vet with the aneastetic (sp?) machine and stuff.

Its gonna get better tho too coz i go 2 college 1 day a week, at the mo im studying all the science side of it and basic first aid, but next year i get to do more medical things and can even do minor surgery.

The only down side is the hours i have to work. Youve probably heard me complain about how tired i am, coz every tuesday i have 2 do a 12 hr shift and its hard coz im on my feet all day. I also do a lot of weekends, and im always hung over at work on a sunday lol.

wow ive written so much but thats how much i love my job, it just really feels great to help make animals better and when the owner thanx u and is so pleased that u helped there pet. We also deal a lot with rescue animals and wildlife, nobode else cares about pigeons, but i clean them damn things out every day lol.

So that is my dream job and im gonna stick with it as long as i can and be fully qualified. :biggrin:

Yeah, it's important 2 keep in mind, that even when we aren't happy with our jobs...2 remember that we are lucky 2 have them. Customers can also get annoying (no matter where u work) but i think that the best thing 2 do is get back at them by being nice and calm. A customer has 2 go pretty far 2 actually have me get offensive towards them...and if possible, i usually just walk away from them and get someone else 2 take care of them rather than risking causing a scene and losing my job.

yeah whenever customers are horrible to me im also so nice to them, it must annoy them so much. Its crazy the things ppl will say to you tho, i wouldnt dream of shouting at some1 in a shop etc.

Ive had some woman cussin down the phone at me and she even threatened to kill my boss. I work in such a crazy neighbourhood. It really scared me tho i was calm on the phone but when i put it down i was shaking so much.

I think tho at a vets u get more angry ppl than normal bcoz its a horrible place 4 ppl to go, they are worried about their animals and its very expensive.

Yeah, in a place like that, u gotta keep in mind that it's stressful for people 2 take their pets 2 a place where the might HAVE to make them uncomfortable...and owners are usually very protective of them.

At the photography studio i work at, people are of course going 2 be extra protective of their families, pets, children, etc...so if u don't make them happy with your photography...some people get really mad. Being mad or aggresive would only make the situation worse...after all, they DO have a reason 2 be the way they are (sometimes).

There are also people out there who simply like 2 fight. And it ruins their day 2 not give them the fight they want. However, there has been 2 or 3 times when i've gone up2 the front of the store 2 back-up a co-worker having problems with a customer. They kinda people who are out 2 cause problems...the second they take it 2 far, i'm ready 2 take it 2 the hood and tear them up...ha ha.

umm ok my first job was at the bowling alley working in the snack bar. It was an ok first job. The pay was good for me at the time and I got to bowl for free and that was GREAT! When your in high school having something to do like that for free is cool. I also met my husband to be at that job.

My second job was a hostess at a BBQ resturant and then I became the asistant manager. That place was cool but I didnt really want all the resposibilty of manager I wanted to have more fun as an employee. I was married already so I didnt need to make the manager money.
The last place I worked was T.G.I. Fridays.I started as a waitress and made great money and had tones of fun working with lots of cool people. After that I got promoted to bartender. That was so much fun!
Now I am an at home mom of 3 kids and its great! My husband works so I hear about his work stories now. And he's got some good ones! Hehe! :kekeke:

Doing something u enjoy doing or something u are interested in (or something releated 2 what u'd like 2 do 4 the rest of your life) is always a good thing. Either way, just getting the experience of having a job, working with other people, and working with customers is the kinda thing u can take on 2 any other job u go 2.

The grocery store waz your average job 4 me. No real future in it, but it's money and i guess it waz a good place 2 start. At a movie theater, u'd get 2 see movies 4 free...which is always nice...ha ha.

I worked as a bagger at a grocery store and I agree, customers can get really annoying. However, as long as u know how 2 talk 2 them, u can take care of the situation pretty smoothly.

I gained quite a bit of experience from that job, mainly cuz now I know how NOT 2 act when I walk into a grocery store...haha.

Good luck on everything u do now and in the future y'all...i hope u get what u want.

my first job was at a warehouse, i basicly carried stuff and cleaned.
now i'm a bagger in a big super market and you are right about people who just want to fight, people shout on people everyday here but only in rare situation i see a real fight.
but who cares as long that i'm getting paid :dancingcool:

My first job was the carwasher. I have worked there for 7 years, since I was 13. This job was very important for me because my family is simple, is made up of five people so I had to work to help my parents. When I finished the school, I joined the Italian Air Force and now I'm a Warrent-Officer, and I'm very happy to see my mum and my father very proud of me. I'm only 22 now and I hope I'll become an Officer one day :peace:

Guest Prince
Jobs? Hmm, not really proper ones yet but am beginning to consider them more now - I can't scrounge around for money forever!

I saw the subtitle of this post "Boy, Get Your Butt 2 Work" and took it literally so was going to suggest you visited casualty... :eek4: :rofl: Edited by Prince