JJFP reunite for 50 years of Hip Hop December 10 ×
Jazzy Jeff & Fresh Prince Forum

Born To Reign... Underrated

Hey, I decided to pop in BTR this morning and give it a listen. I'm listening to these lyrics (good one's mind you) flow so nicely with the music. I realized how much this album is compared to Willenium. In my opinion. Both are great. Willenium is great as a hip hop album. Born to Reign is hip hop with a different flavor.

I think it holds true that BTR is great when you make a fair comparison. Like what you see that's released right now. Is that new song "aight"? Or is that song from 2002 great?

Just something to think about IMO. Does anyone else think this album deserves more credit?

God Blessa!

I know I'm going to get slated for this... But WS's solo stuff is leagues ahead of his JJFP. I really don't like the majority of the JJFP stuff. I can listen to most of the tracks on Greatest Hits, but the rest of it is just annoying and doesn't do it for me.

I can handle them seperately though. The Magnificent is unbeatable.

Edited by Prince

FP's a legend 'cause he keeps evolving as an artist, I like Born To Reign a lot, but a lot of great albums get slept on 'cause the mainstream likes mostly trash, I'm not saying any of FP's albums are trash though 'cause he's been consistant, but I appreciate his new stuff a lot 'cause he's pushing the envelope and that's what makes a great artist!

Born To Reign is a good album. I like the way FP experimented with it. No other emcee has drifted in that style of Hip-Hop. I think some of the trax are classic...such as Block Party, How Da Beat Goes, Act Like You Know, and Give Me Tonite. My only problem with it is that it dosen't flow that great. Maybe and Momma Knows, I can't Stop, Act Like You Know are different in wayz that keeps them from making the album flow. On their own, none of the trax are bad. I'm rarely in the mood 2 listen 2 "Willow Is A Player"...but it's a funny song. "Maybe" is kinda boring, but the lyrics are poetic, which i think is very cool. My only real complaint is that "Black Suits Comin'" and "Nod Ya Head" mess up the album. With the other albums, they at least put those trax at the end of the album...but they put "BSC" right in a the middle AND put the remix on it...WACK!!

I think Born To Reign is a dope album, i'm just not alwasy in the mood 4 it. Summertime is the ideal tyme 2 vibe with it in my opinion.