JJFP reunite for 50 years of Hip Hop December 10 ×
Jazzy Jeff & Fresh Prince Forum

MP3 ?UESTION

Most of u know me as the anti-download/anti-upload music fan. Well, now i have ?uestion since i never do any online music stuff. I'm getting a new car stereo very soon and one of my friends told me 2 get the kind that plays regular CDs and MP3 CDs cuz i'll be able 2 put like 5 hours of music on one CD.

I waz wondering how much MP3 CDs cost and exactly how much u can cram on them. Also, how do u actually go about making them, what kinda equipment do i need (or already have and don't know...ha ha).

I'm totally ignorant on the subject so if anyone can break it down 4 me, i'll totally appriciate it.

Hey AJ, I've got a personal CD player that plays MP3 and so does my Hifi. Anyway what you do is put your music CD into your computer and use software to convert the songs off the CD to MP3. Then you'll need a CD-Writer (fits into your computer). After this you need to buy some blank CD's. You can pick them up for about 20p/30p each in the UK. The amount of Mp3 you can put on one CD depends on the quality at which you encode it. From my experienceI can fit about 10 - 12 reqular length albums on one MP3 cd. With most CD MP3 players there's a variety of play modes such as Album Shuf (random soongs from within one album. Total Shuffle (random songs from the whole CD) etc...

It's pretty cool if you car stereo only has one slot, because it means you have to change the CD less often...

I think that should just about explain it. Jonny

• Admin
yeah ive got a cd/mp3 player as well.. you just get a normal cd-r and u can fit up to 700 meg on there which normally works out to abt 140 songs or so.. u just burn all the mp3s u might have on ur computer on to the cd.. u can burn cds to mp3 with windows media player i think? i use musicmatch jukebox myself..which u can get from www.download.com

Thanx alot 4 your help!! Since these kinds of CD players are the same price as the regular ones, i'm pretty much swinging towards getting one. One of my friends said that if my computer dosen't have the correct software 4 it, he'll give me a copy of his.

THANX AGAIN!!

• 2 weeks later...
Okay, over the weekend, i skooled myself a lil' on this whole MP3 thing. Of course, the 1st CD i've attempted 2 make waz a JJ+FP one. I ripped audio from all the JJ+FP studio albums and set up a 6th full of b-sides and the best remixes. After completeing the CD, it bugged me that it put the albums in ABC order so i retitled the albums with numbers in the beginning (example: 1. ROCK THE HOUSE) which solved that problem when i re-made the CD. HOWEVER, i have one problem that's bugging me. When i make the CDs, it put the trax in random order...not in ABC order, not in the order they are in on the albums....just all mixed up. I havn't played the CDs in my car stereo yet cuz i havn't had time 2 hook it up, but i have played them back on my computer. I even went 2 the extent of re-titling ever song in each album's folder by putting numbers in front of them which didn't help.

Can ANYBODY help me out on how 2 get the trax in the correct order? I'm using Audiograbber if that helps anyone help me out. If anyone can, i'll greatly appriciate it.

Guest Prince
I've only ever made normal CD's and it's easy enough to change the order on those. I know some people who make loads of massive MP3 CD's, and come to think of it I can't remember seeing any tracklisting that wasn't in ABC order. All I can suggest if it really annoys you is to put your player on random...

Oh one thing you could try, infront of the track names put letters instead of numbers, so "AROCK THE HOUSE". If you do that, then throw in a few B's aswell on some tracks you should be able to get it pretty much into some kind of order...

My bad, didn't read your last post.

It should be ABC order. just make sure it's in that order when you set the songs to burn.

Something you can do is name them like:

Rock the House - 01 - ..........
Rock The house - 02 - ..........
He's the Dj - 01 - ...........

ETC, you see where I am going with this.

Man, i just ripped Rock The House 2 different ways. One with the trax labled 1st by letters and then with numbers in the front. It just throws the trax on there in no paticular order. If i don't have any control over the order of the tracklisting i'll just be making regular CDs 4 my ride.

Right now i'm using Audiograbber, i'm gonna get some other software this week. Hopefully the other software will drop the trax on the CD in the order of the tracklisting.

If that dosen't work, i'll only be making HUGE mix-CDs where i don't care about the order of what's on them. I guess i'm just 2 picky about my music.

WOW aj...
look down load CDex from any where try 2 right in google cdex+download of something...
u can switch every cd 2 MP3... the cd costs like 1$ I don't know how much in USA...
then u can burn all the music from the originals cd 2 mp3 and u can hear it in the car...
enjoy...
p.s u still can hear regular cd's in the car...
and u can put something like 150-170 songs in 1 cd...