JJFP reunite for 50 years of Hip Hop December 10 ×
Jazzy Jeff & Fresh Prince Forum

Rakim Details Connection To DJ Jazzy Jeff & The Fresh Prince’s “Summertime”

Rakim Details Connection To DJ Jazzy Jeff & The Fresh Prince’s “Summertime”

DX: I recently heard Eric B. on The Combat Jack Show state that the  beat to DJ Jazzy Jeff and The Fresh Prince’s classic “Summertime” song was originally slated for you. Can you verify that?

Rakim: Nah, it was ironic that me and Eric B. had sampled it, and we had it ready to go. But when they came out with it, a lot of people thought it was me because of the style he used. But it was one of those things where that was them. I didn’t write it. That was Will and Jeff.

DX: But Eric stated that he had crafted the beat for you, but some industry people and friends who heard it before it came out were in your ear telling you that the beat was somewhat soft and out of character for you. Is there any validity to that?

Rakim: Umm, yeah. It was something he had on the backburner, nahmean? Again, it was something that we wanted to use, but we felt that the time wasn’t right because of the choice of all the records that we had on the first album. But that’s a joint that you can’t deny. You know, maybe it could’ve been hooked up a little more street-ready, and it was something that we thought was a hit record. But we didn’t want to come out and grasp on that first album. We was trying to ease back on that.

Source: 

https://hiphopdx.com/interviews/id.2937/title.rakim-tackles-paid-in-full-will-smith-mafioso-rap

• 1 month later...

I don't understand why people are still trying to tie Rakim to the song. This whole thing confuses me. The music was done by Hula and K. Fingers.  Are they saying the track was offered to them first? It doesn't make sense. 

....am I the only one who reads Rakim's response with his voice in my head?