JJFP reunite for 50 years of Hip Hop December 10 ×
Jazzy Jeff & Fresh Prince Forum

Will Smith & Joyner Lucas - Will (Remix)

I'm late on dropping a comment. Tim sent me a link to the video when this dropped. It was four in the morning when I saw it.  I'm definitely love this. I had only ever heard of Joyner Lucas, but never listened to him before. I'm going to be a big repetitive in what I have to say, but I love how the lyrics are a humble balance of highlighting some of his accomplishment and giving props to those who influence and supported him. It's not just braggadocios, it's classy.  At first I wasn't crazy about the modern choppy flow, though he puts more life into it than the 1,000 other modern rappers who sound tired and sloppy when they do it. I like that his vocally lets it build and shift to a more classic flow. Most of all, it's the first verse he's put out since 2005 where every single line counts. That was the great thing about Lost + Found. Not a single line was wasted. The same can be said for this. I also like that it doesn't have  standard cookie cutter style, like verse, hook. verse, hook, verse, hook, fade. He just goes one. 

The crazy thing is that people wanna talk about how EVERYBODY things FP is corny in his music, but every time he does something, everybody reacts like in this reaction videos. Additionally, so many people say rap is a young boy's game, but virtually everyone is excited when the Prince does something like this. I'm not just being a cry baby fan when I say this, but he truly needs to put some focus into his music. Nobody thinks he's corny. Nobody things a dope artist is "too old" to be recording. He'd be breaking down barriers if his hit us with a full album and is properly distributed and promoted. As much as we have hated it, it might be good that he made us wait so long for a substantial body of work. The time seems more right than ever. 

well, the hate was strong back in the day. Everybody was on the gangsta rap hype and people were smashing Will. Kinda funny how everybody out on social media now talks about Will like he's always been a legend, The Fresh Prince, the GOAT, etc.

To be honest, people didn't support Will when he was still in the game. I don't take most of the positive criticism serious (from the older folks). HipHop has always been a macho and patriarchal domain with lots of people masking their insecurities and ignorance behind trash talking and fake attitudes. Over the years that really turned down my interest in the culture. On the other side I really appreciate a young and upcoming generation giving Will his props and respect. It really sparks my interest again. I hope this new generation will understand the importance of the responsibility you have as an artist. 

At least Hot97 don't disappoint with their ongoing hate on Will. They even asked the question if that verse was ghostwritten...